PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Norma 5x7: Any info on its specs(age, $value) and merits as a view camera

Robb Reed
4-Feb-1999, 17:39
I'm considering the acquisition of a used Sinar 5x7 'Norma'. I'm wondering if a nyone knows when it was last produced and, if it is in 'excellent - though used condition', what it should be worth (bellows, both normal and WA are alleged to be in good shape). No lenses come with the deal. There are a couple of extensio n rails and a modified 4x5 graflock back taken from a Crown Graphic as well as a Copal 0 and Copal 1 lens board. It sounds like a good deal at 1950, but I'm no t knowledgeable enough to know for certain.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ron Shaw
4-Feb-1999, 18:58
5x7 has a very meager film selection in the U.S., so you may be forced to use the 4x5 back, in which case, maybe a 4x5 would be a better choice.

Ellis Vener
5-Feb-1999, 12:09
The Sinar Norma is an excellent camera. Originally built for Sinar by Arca Swiss , the camera is lightweight and precise in a way the new Sinar F/F1/F2 cameras a re not. It is compatible with most if not all all current Sinar accessories: len sboards, bellows, extention rails, maybe even backs. Many architectural and land scape photographers prize their Sinar Normas for their combination light weight and strength, their precision, and their elegance of use as well as two addition al features: the rise is in the focal plane (a feature carried over into the Arc a Swiss F-Line but not into the current Sinar cameras) and the low (compared to modern Sinars) center of gravity. I believe the camera was made throughut the 19 50s up to the early 1970s when it was replaced by the Sinar P cameras.

Drawbacks include: While being base tilt, a Norma is not yaw-free (the tilt hing e is located above the swing mechanism); this is only really a factor if you ar e doing a lot of "table top" product photography. You may want a more modern, br ighter, groundglass/ fresnel combination, which would involve buying an entirely new rear frame and groundglass set. And while Sinar is known for any things, b eing cheap isn't one of them.

Ellis Vener
5-Feb-1999, 12:58
This is a response to an off group question. My popmail/ISP is acting funny so I decided to reply here. the question was: Ellis,

Can you explain a little bit more on this feature? I recently bought a F-lin e and was curious as to how this feature would manifest itself in usage.

Thanks

Hadi

Hadi,

Having rise in the focal and lens planes means not having to refocus after us ing the rise movement. Makes life easier by removing at least two steps from the process.

Ellis