PDA

View Full Version : Sinar auto Shutter

pierre salomon
9-Dec-2003, 23:14
Hello Everyone

Does anyone know where I can find a user manual for a sinar auto shutter? Neither Sinar in New Jersey or Palo Alto (I live in the Bay Area) have one for sale. The unit have 3 cables: a shutter release, one short flash syncro and a third one with the split end screw. Sinar web site is not that helpful. Your advices will be appreciated.

Thanks

tor kviljo
10-Dec-2003, 02:40
Main cable release enters sideways into the shutter through threaded hole close to lower corner of shutter assy. The "other" cable release is probably the one which you use to connect shutter & camera back: When film-holder is pushed in, this cable activates the shutter-close/aperture close feature (if You have the DB and not only the Norma shutter) - making the camera ready for exposure as soon as the dark-slide is removed. You find the same type threaded hole on the shutter for this one. The connector on the camera back is (if I recall correctly: I don't use that feature) a threaded hole close to where the bottom part of the film-holder will be resting when fully seated. Older Sinar/Copal shutters can be sluggish when it comes to activating DB (Drückblende - push-to-close aperture mechanism) lenses, needing a little attention before the semi auto feature (shutter-closing - pre-set aperture mechanism - film-back) is operating properly. Espesialy shutter-closing may be incomplete, so I do the shutter-closing/aperture select rather manually. The synch cord is straight forward: this is a leaf shutter with synch on all times.

Good luck

James Driscoll
10-Dec-2003, 07:36
other tips....

store the shutter on "8" NOT "B"....this sounds wrong but it is straight from a sinar repairman...also do not coil the cables for storage....just a light bend or store them straight.

resist the temptation when playing with it or shooting with it to shoot "fast" this is the weakness of the shutter...give a little breathing room in between exposures (about 1-2 sec)

some people will say "who shoots fast with a view camera" but fashion guys do...and they routinely break autoshutters....

the auto-aperture feature utilizes a "bayonet" adapter. this little piece screwes into the camera back (you need an extension for the 8x10 MB) and you use the thumbscrew to adjust the distance of the auto cable...after a little fiddleing you will be ok.

andy bettles
10-Dec-2003, 16:35
Pierre,
Get hold of a copy of'The Sinar System Handbook' by Carl Koch, has everything you want to know and more(pages 49&50).It's usually quite inexpensive.
Andy

Jean-Louis Llech
11-Dec-2003, 03:08
Pierre, I found the manuals you need on Craig Camera : (http://www.craigcamera.com/lit_sinar.htm)

Three issues : 1972-1973-1977
#21612. Promotional: Sinar Auto-Aperture Shutter, 1972 8pp, large format,
illus.; fine reference on the Sinar auto shutter system. EX. $8.00

#9285. Promotional: Sinar Auto-Aperture Shutter, 1973 8pp, large format,

#9286. Promotional: Sinar Auto-Aperture Shutter, 1977 8pp, large format,

europanorama
8-Dec-2019, 19:44
Pierre,
Get hold of a copy of'The Sinar System Handbook' by Carl Koch, has everything you want to know and more(pages 49&50).It's usually quite inexpensive.
Andy
The Large Format Handbook of the SINAR System
by Carl Koch, C. Marchesi, Jost J. Marchesi
Paperback, 148 Pages, Published 1986

Keith Pitman
8-Dec-2019, 23:31
The Large Format Handbook of the SINAR System
by Carl Koch, C. Marchesi, Jost J. Marchesi
Paperback, 148 Pages, Published 1986

This is a 16 year old thread!!!

Tin Can
9-Dec-2019, 00:20
And we are often encouraged to search LFPF history

this is one of the oldest I have read

moments ago I researched 1969, not imaging data, but music I heard live from a still performing band, EW&F played my HS and now I know why

jaytral
9-Dec-2019, 00:51
https://www.cameramanuals.org/prof_pdf/sinar-copal_shutter.pdf

darr
9-Dec-2019, 22:11
Old thread with good info.

I just acquired an old Sinar mechanical shutter and it works!
Well, not at all speeds, but for what I need it does okay.
Ran some test film today and it came out spot on.

This thread helped me find the info I needed.
Thank goodness this forum still exists. :)