PDA

View Full Version : Graflex grafic view 4x5 camera

Louie Devincentis
4-Mar-2012, 07:05
Hi everyone.
I am thinking of purchasing this Graflex Graphic view 4x5 camera. the camera comes with a 203mm kodak ektar lens, case, film holders, filters, dark cloth and cable release. They are asking $350.00 CAD. Am I over paying for this outfit? What does the forum think?
Thanks.
Louie

Jim Noel
4-Mar-2012, 09:11
That is about $100 more than they usually go for at California camera swap meets.

photobymike
4-Mar-2012, 18:33
I would not own one again. Where do i start...... well the adjustment knobs are to small even for small hands..... The tripos holder that claps to the rail strips out often.... The focus for front and back are friction action... need constant adjustment to stay tight.... if you get one with a graflok back ... its mickey mouse design it breaks easily .....

photobymike
4-Mar-2012, 18:40
I would not own one again. Where do i start...... well the adjustment knobs are to small even for small hands..... The tripod holder that claps to the rail strips out often.... The focus for front and back are friction action... need constant adjustment to stay tight.... if you get one with a graflok back ... its has a removable back held on by clips that get loose. I have had the back actually fall off when i inserted a film holder. Notice the knobs that loosen for front and rear tilt... those are made out of aluminum!!!... You cannot tighten the lens board in enough, it rattles. I actually had a lens fall out.... i really cannot say enough bad things about this camera......ok not bad if you want to collect ... but it is not a user camera unless your into fiddling with with tightening everything after every single use Jeeez i hated that camera through mine away 200 buck down the toilet ....

This is a picture of one .. its not mine.. i would not spend the time to fix it up but i have owned 2 of them

Bill_1856
4-Mar-2012, 19:16
The Graphic View came in two models (I and II). The II is a significant improvement over the earlier model -- forget the model I unless it is virtually free.
I got mine in 1953, used it to shoot dance couples in college, traded it for a Linhof in 1972, and bought another to replace it (with the 203mm lens) in 1990. IMHO it is the best possible way to start in LF for not too much money -- if you get one in good condition, the thing may last you a lifetime. Unlike "photobymike" I can't say enough good things about it. I think yours is overpriced quite a bit.
Don't forget that this can only be used with a fairly substantial tripod. I recommend a good, used Tiltall ($100). Be absolutely certain that your camera comes with the standard tripod adapter (it is worthless without it), and the fiberboard case which came as standard eqipment with all new ones. The condition of the case may be a good indicator of the condition of the camera.

joselsgil
6-Mar-2012, 00:02
Louie,

The price is a bit high, but that depends on the condition of the camera. Food for thought tho, a 203mm f7.7 ektar lens just sold on this site for a bit over $200. That being said, the asking price isn't way over priced. As long as, the camera is in good shape.

Good luck,

Jose

John Kasaian
6-Mar-2012, 10:57
I like my Graphic View 2. I built my kit in pieces (prices in USD):
GV2--------------------------------------------------------$100
203 Ektar---------------------------------------------------------------$100
Case--------------------------------------------------------------------- $20
Film Holders-------------------------------------------------------------$25 for a stack of them (used)
Slip on filter adapter and a few filters bought in a box of misc junk $15
Dark cloth--------------------------------------------------Home made.
Tilt all Tripod------------------------------------------------------------$70
plus a butt-load extra for all the shipping (ebay)
I don't know the current exchange rate, but your price dosen't seem too far out of line if everything is in excellent condition.

Joseph Dickerson
6-Mar-2012, 17:45
I have had a couple of IIs over the years...wish I still had one. One of those cameras I should of held on to. I really love the art deco design.

The II handles well, I never had anything slip on it, but make sure it comes with the tripod block.

As mentioned before, avoid the model I...although it has a place in history. It was the first all metal view camera.

The price you were quoted doesn't seem out of line to me.

Have fun with it,

JD

Louie Devincentis
7-Mar-2012, 09:22
Thanks everybody for your input, I really appreciate the feed back. Unfortunately I was away for a few days and the camera was sold. I am going to keep this information for the next opportunity on this type of camera or even the Toyo 4x5 view camera that I have been interested in.
One again everybody Thanks for the feed back.

Regards.
Louie

Ivan J. Eberle
7-Mar-2012, 09:40
For slightly more money you might find a decent starter Sinar set up; unlike Graflexes they're fully modular with swappable bellows. There's also a tremendous glut of nice ones in the market as they were the coin of the realm for commercial work until the world went digital.

joselsgil
7-Mar-2012, 13:01
For slightly more money you might find a decent starter Sinar set up; unlike Graflexes they're fully modular with swappable bellows. There's also a tremendous glut of nice ones in the market as they were the coin of the realm for commercial work until the world went digital.

Yes, I agree with spending a few $$$ more and getting a Sinar camera. Just stay away from the Zone VI aka, Alpine model. It uses too much plastic and locking down into place can sometime be iffy.

photobymike
7-Mar-2012, 15:02
Louie Louie get a Toyo or Omega view camera. They are about the same money and you will like it better.. The Toyo back is SSSooooo much easier to use. The lens boards are standard and easy to find....