PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 4x5" N-2 camera resell value.

Ig Nacio
3-Mar-2012, 20:57
Hi,

I am on my way to get a Chamonix 4x5" N-2 camera.
Within a month I should be able to have my money
together and place my order. In the meantime, I
may happen to hear from a person selling a used
one, who knows.

I want to do a photographic project with it.
I don't know how long I will keep the camera. For
me it is a hobby, but I'll also intend to sell my
pictures.

If for some reason, I have to part with the camera
within the first six months, or first year, what is
the resell value?

Thank you, kind regards,

Ig Nacio : ) !!!

Daniel Stone
3-Mar-2012, 21:54
what someone's willing to pay ;)

-Dan

Ig Nacio
3-Mar-2012, 22:03
Hi,

hahaha : ) !!! It is true. But more or less ... ?

Kind regards,

36cm2
3-Mar-2012, 22:22
800-1100 would be my guess.

Hi,

hahaha : ) !!! It is true. But more or less ... ?

Kind regards,

Noah A
4-Mar-2012, 00:58
Why not buy a used camera instead? If you get a nice deal you can probably sell it for the same price you buy it for.

Ig Nacio
4-Mar-2012, 03:17
Hi,

It would be the body, a bellows, a lensboard, (shipping) that I am buying new @ around 1,120
The lens, (210 mm.), the film holders, developing tank and any other accesory I'll have to buy
it second hand @ around $280-$380

The price range you mention is perhaps ok. From $1,400-1,500 will be my total investmnt.
Do you feel, that up to six months or a year, $400 will be depreciated from the full value?

Thank you, kind regards,

vinny
4-Mar-2012, 08:25
Just buy a used camera if you haven't worked with 4x5 before. If you buy the chamonix, you don't need a $$ carbon fiber lens board, get a wist, tecknika, nikon, whatever board off ebay or here on the forum.

Ig Nacio
4-Mar-2012, 11:20
Hi,

What allures me of the chamonix is its light weight @ three pounds,
or 1.4 Kg. Would you recommend any other camera that is not
heavy. I have seen some good deals at e-bay. Even a Sinar P2,
but it is almost six kilos or around fourteen pounds.

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

ashlee52
4-Mar-2012, 20:56
Tell us what your project is and we can recommend a camera. Remember heavy is good on a tripod unless you need to move around a lot.

The first question for any new LF shooter is "Are you sure you can't start with a Graflex?"

And now that they are SO cheap, the second question is "Are you sure you don't want to try a used Sinar Norma or F1?"

Ig Nacio
5-Mar-2012, 11:24
Hi,

With my project I would like to photograph approximately twenty five persons in one year. Perhaps less. I would take two, perhaps three pictures of each. I would choose one of the three and present it in a website. The journey for me is to take these pictures in LF. Having started photography when digital and film were already there, I would like to learn and experiment more with this format. If I definitely fall in love with the camera I'll keep it for longer than a year. If not, I'll sell it. (Something that makes/puts me a bit sad just to think about it already).

Anyway, because I'll be moving with it. I would like to move as light as possible. The Graflex crown view is 2.6 kilos, compared to the 3.6 kilos of the Sinars. The Graflex is $500-$600 off e-bay. I wonder if it is possible to change lenses. The two models I saw, came with 135 mm. lenses. What would I need to use in order to change lenses?

Which camera holds better its value, the chamonix or the graflex?

Thank you again, kind regards,

BTW, not within my budget at the moment, but interesting to mention is that several tripod brands, offer tripods that are as light as 2.2 pounds and cheaper than these two. They can hold up to eleven or fourteen pounds (or five to seven kilos):
1. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/569082-REG/Gitzo_GT0531_GT0531_Mountaineer_6X_Carbon.html
2. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/759477-REG/Gitzo_GT1542T_Series_1_Traveler_6x.html

Trius
19-Apr-2012, 19:07
I think the light weight of the Chamonix will help it retain a higher percentage of value than many other LF cameras. So if weight is top concern, I would go that way. I just ordered one myself, primarily for the weight. I had been using a Toyo 45A and Zone VI tripod for over 30 years, so I sold those off. If you are young and strong and won't be hauling the kit around a lot, I would go used but heavier, or maybe used Chamonix 45N-1.

Old-N-Feeble
20-Apr-2012, 09:05
It'll be worth $15US including world-wide shipping... I'm first in line to buy.

Bruce Douglas
20-Apr-2012, 16:18
If you are not carrying the camera in case or backpack for a long distance, I would second the recommendations here to get a used camera first. A monorail or graflex could be good choices. Again, if you are not carrying the equipment any significant distance don't for the lightest tripod you can find. A heavier, used tripod will serve your needs better (more stable) and be less expensive.

If you are backpacking or walking a significant distance with the equipment I agree that lighter is better. My 4x5 for hiking is a Wisner Pocket Expedition at about 3.5 lbs. I got the Wisner several years ago for about $850. For shots where I am not carrying a 4x5 any distance, I use a Horseman 45LE. It is joy to use compared to the Wisner, but, it weighs about 14 lbs! I have a Hakuba carbon fiber tripod that I use for the Wisner and the Horseman. However, when I want a truly stable platform for the Horseman I use a Zone VI lightweight with a Majestic gearhead.

Hope this is of use. Good luck. Working with a view camera is fun!