PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Norma 5x4 Camera

Tā-Seen
3-Mar-2012, 05:21
Hello everybody,

I need to purchase a Sinar Norma 5x4 Camera and as its my first LFC I would like to know if the 5x7 back and bellow fits with it?

Thank you,

rdenney
3-Mar-2012, 07:51
I need to purchase a Sinar Norma 5x4 Camera and as its my first LFC I would like to know if the 5x7 back and bellow fits with it?

The 5x7 back will clamp to the rail in the place of the 4x5 back, and the bellows will attach to the lens standard just fine. The lens standard is the same across the formats. The bellows attachment point for lens standards is the same for all Sinar cameras, as is the rail attachment and lens boards. Thus, you could even put a Norma 5x7 back, since it sounds as though you already have one or access to one, on a Sinar F, or an F 5x7 back on a Norma.

Rick "the first system camera and all that" Denney

Ivan J. Eberle
4-Mar-2012, 15:58
Yes, although you may nowadays find the whole multiformat kit ("Expert"- Was it called that ?) for a bargain compared to buying the pieces individually. Beware too that many listings for simple 4x5 Normas show mismatched system pieces e.g. Intermediate extension bellows standard instead of the front standard.

Frank Petronio
4-Mar-2012, 16:04
The 5x7 components are rare compared to the 4x5 pieces.

You often end up buying several "outfits" and saving the best parts to assemble the camera you want, then resell the left-overs and second rate bits. Also the design changed slightly over the course of its manufacture and while everything will be interchangeable, you may like the function and looks of a certain vintage.

Some Normas have been used very harshly so while it is an excellent design, you want to buy based on condition and the seller's honesty. They can be restored, there is a guide by Philip Morgan describing the maintenance and repair.