PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Automatic Aperture Shutter Help

skimasks
2-Mar-2012, 13:47
Hello,
I just picked up a Sinar Automatic Aperture Shutter off of Ebay and it looks to be in brand new condition. I'm having some issues figuring it out though and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these? There are two available plug ins for plungers. The one on the side appears to be an aperture preview and the one on the bottom cocks/closes the shutter. Is this correct? How does one sync these to actually fire the lens?

Thanks!

Justin

John MacManus
2-Mar-2012, 14:22
Justin: see the link below in another section of this Forum

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?87894-Sinar-Copal-shutter-usable-WITHOUT-cables

The red push lever that is used to open the shutter for focusing must be closed to fire the shutter with the cable release.

... J

erie patsellis
2-Mar-2012, 14:27
make your life a little easier, print out each of the pages from below.

http://cameraeccentric.com/html/info/sinar_2.html

Ken Lee
2-Mar-2012, 14:30
If you don't have a Sinar lens board mounted on the shutter, then be sure to set the aperture on the shutter to the widest setting. Otherwise, the shutter won't fire and you may think you've broken it.

Scott Walker
2-Mar-2012, 14:32
The one on the side is the shutter release.
The one on the bottom closes the shutter when you insert a film holder.
You can use the shutter without the bottom cable but not without the shutter release cable.
The shutter release cable is almost impossible to find used but is available new for $250.00

rdenney
2-Mar-2012, 14:54
How does one sync these to actually fire the lens?

One does not fire the lens when using the Auto-Aperture shutter. It is assumed that the lens does not have a shutter--either because it's in a barrel or because it's in a Sinar DB mount. Barrels and DB-mounts provide apertures but not shutters. You could use it with a shuttered lens--just leave the lens's shutter open. I might do that if my lens had a broken shutter and I still needed to use the lens (and it mounted such that the rear cell didn't run into the Auto-Aperture Shutter.

The cable with a plunger on it can only screw into one spot. That's the shutter release for the Auto-Aperture shutter. It also cocks the shutter before releasing it. Make sure you close the shutter preview before pressing that cable release.

As Ken said, leave the shutter's aperture setting on its widest value. Unless you are using a DB-mounted lens, that setting has no effect on anything except to get in the way. With a DB-mounted lens, you can use it to set the aperture on the lens from behind the camera.

The interlock with the back only serves to close the shutter and stop down the lens when you insert a film holder. It is otherwise not needed.

Rick "simple once you figure it out" Denney

skimasks
2-Mar-2012, 16:23
Thanks everyone!! Ken, I just thought I'd let you know that your website has been a great source of inspiration and knowledge for me!

Scott, is the shutter release cable different than a standard shutter cable? If so that might be my issue. I have all cables except that one. Do you use the sinar auto aperture shutter yourself?

skimasks
2-Mar-2012, 16:43
Also.. does using a Kapture Group One shot (for use with my phase one back) negate the need for this proprietary cable?

Louis Pacilla
2-Mar-2012, 17:13
Scott, is the shutter release cable different than a standard shutter cable? If so that might be my issue. I have all cables except that one. Do you use the sinar auto aperture shutter yourself?

Yep. You gotta have the Sinar shutter release cable. No other way to trip the shutter.

John T
2-Mar-2012, 21:30
Nope. The one shot uses a standard throw cable release. On the positive side, the Sinar cable release costs less than the Kapture Group One Shot release