PDA

View Full Version : OLD film...ISO suggestion?

Kimberly Anderson
1-Mar-2012, 19:04
Hey gang,

So I have a bunch of film, a BUNCH of 8x10 film that is really old. I think that the youngest of it is the TMX from 1994. The rest? Who knows.

I'm looking for some suggestions for exposure and possible developers. I did shoot a bunch of holders full of the same batch of TMY at ISO 50 and processed it in Dektol 1:3. The negs are fogged but look pretty good.

Here's the rest of what I've got:

GAF Versapan Type 2831 (125 sheets)
Kodak Super Speed Ortho Safety Film Type V - Class D (200 sheets)
Agfa Ansco Superpan Press Type V AAF Class L (72 sheets)
Kodak Commercial Ortho (50 sheets)
Kodak TMX (25 sheets)

I thought that as a general rule I'd expose it rated at 1/2 the box speed and tray develop in the Dektol 1:3 thinking that the higher contrast developer will give it some 'kick'.

Looking for some other ideas. As you can see I will have plenty of chances to see what this film can still do.

Thanks!

wclark5179
2-Mar-2012, 08:15
Is Dektol for film?

I have used it for prints.

If I encounter fog then I will shoot at a lower ISO and develop with less time.

My everyday developer is D-76/ID-11 or Microdol X/Perceptol.

wclark5179
2-Mar-2012, 08:17
I see from Kodak's site it says for some films. Interesting....

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/chemistry/bwPaperProcessing/dektolDeveloper.jhtml?pq-path=14045

Have a wonderful weekend.

Jim Noel
2-Mar-2012, 09:34
Don't use a print developer. It will just produce a very contrasty negative.
Use your regular film developer with an addition of sodium benzotriazole.

SamReeves
2-Mar-2012, 09:38
Yup. I remember using Dektol on a golfball grain size assignment in my photo class eons ago. It looked like crap, but it was fun to attempt it.

E. von Hoegh
2-Mar-2012, 09:40
Hey gang,

So I have a bunch of film, a BUNCH of 8x10 film that is really old. I think that the youngest of it is the TMX from 1994. The rest? Who knows.

I'm looking for some suggestions for exposure and possible developers. I did shoot a bunch of holders full of the same batch of TMY at ISO 50 and processed it in Dektol 1:3. The negs are fogged but look pretty good.

Here's the rest of what I've got:

GAF Versapan Type 2831 (125 sheets)
Kodak Super Speed Ortho Safety Film Type V - Class D (200 sheets)
Agfa Ansco Superpan Press Type V AAF Class L (72 sheets)
Kodak Commercial Ortho (50 sheets)
Kodak TMX (25 sheets)

I thought that as a general rule I'd expose it rated at 1/2 the box speed and tray develop in the Dektol 1:3 thinking that the higher contrast developer will give it some 'kick'.

Looking for some other ideas. As you can see I will have plenty of chances to see what this film can still do.

Thanks!
I'm using outdated TMX and TriX, from the late 1980s. It's been kept frozen, and I expose it at 200 for the TriX and 64 for the Tmx, using hc110. No troubles with fog. Try one sheet at rated speed and standard development to see what you have, and forget that Dektol. Benzotriazole will help with fog, if you have it. A small amount of base fog can just be printed through.

rjmeyer314
5-Mar-2012, 06:44
For the Ortho films I would try exposing at around ASA 10 and developing in Diafine. Just do a sheet or two to see how your film speed guess works out. You can revise your film speed guess up or down to optimize density. I've shot several old Kodak scientific films and glass plates this way. Diafine will usually give good (pictorial) contrasts in these films, not the high contrasts the films were designed for.

sun of sand
6-Mar-2012, 00:05
just sell me the versapan
I'd like to try that film out and have almost been able to squeeze some from a couple guys
but

normal developers 1/2 with slower films
1/3 with faster films
1/4 speed with some ml's of anti-fog to your developer
dev 25% longer or so