PDA

View Full Version : Best color neg for copying color positives?

SpeedGraphicMan
1-Mar-2012, 14:16
Hello!

I want to print a few hand colored glass transparencies onto 16x20 RA-4

Any suggestions for the best color neg so I can camera copy the originals?

Ben Syverson
1-Mar-2012, 15:01
This will sound like sacrilege, but have you considered scanning and LightJet/Lambda/etc? You'll come out with an RA-4 print, but you'll have an easier time approximating the color of the original.

SpeedGraphicMan
1-Mar-2012, 15:04
This will sound like sacrilege, but have you considered scanning and LightJet/Lambda/etc? You'll come out with an RA-4 print, but you'll have an easier time approximating the color of the original.

Yes, but I prefer to DIY in my darkroom.

Plus I can do it for 1/4 the price of having it done.

Ben Syverson
1-Mar-2012, 15:08
In that case I would suggest Ektar if you want higher "punchiness" and saturation, or Portra 160 if you want a more straightforward rendering.

SpeedGraphicMan
1-Mar-2012, 15:10
Porta 160 was my first guess!

Thanks!

Ivan J. Eberle
1-Mar-2012, 15:24
Fujicolor Pro 160S or Kodak Portra 160NC are recommended by these manufacturers as the copying/internegative film replacements since interneg emulsions are no more.

Drew Wiley
2-Mar-2012, 14:52
Porta 160. Be conscious of the color temp of your lights and appropriately balance if needed, just like any kind of copy work.

rjmeyer314
5-Mar-2012, 06:55
What you're looking for is color duplicating film. Both Kodak and Fuji sell (or sold) duplicating film for color slides. These films will give you a direct copy in one step. I haven't used color duplicating film. I have used Kodak B&W duplicating film to copy sections of some of my 11x14 B&W negatives on to 8x10 film so I could blow them up with my 8x10 enlarger.

Drew Wiley
5-Mar-2012, 14:21
Wrong. Dupe film is for making duplicate transparencies. Interneg film is for making printable negs from chromes. In this case, however, it might be best simply to place the
glass on an accurate lightbox/copystand arrangement and shoot it with color neg film.