PDA

View Full Version : Wista hood - help needed

p.87
1-Mar-2012, 12:57
Hello,

Been a long time lurker on this forum, especially lately. I'm a photography student and have been using large format more and more lately. Enough to buy my first 5x4 camera, a Wista 45. I managed to get one fairly cheap on ebay, as it had no focussing hood. The camera arrived today and I realised that I definitely need something there to protect the glass. At the moment I'm scared to actually shoot with it incase the glass breaks while in my camera bag.

Ive found that they are only sold in one place it seems, B&H, in America (Im in the UK). Plus, its $200 which I can't really spare at the moment.

Here's my question; Is there a cheaper alternative? I've seen some generic hoods on ebay from China, for Linhof cameras, and they go for £60. If there was one for a Wista I'd definitely get it, but there isn't. So does anyone know of anyone or anywhere which may sell one, a Wista branded one or not.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Gem Singer
1-Mar-2012, 13:22
Assuming that you are referring to a folding focusing hood for a Wista 4x5 camera (which also serves as a ground glass protector).

You can obtain a ground glass protector for a 4x5 camera from Midwest Photo Exchange. Made of Plexiglas, these protectors are very efficient. They protect both sides of the GG and are not expensive compared to a folding focusing hood.

www.mpex.com

Ari
1-Mar-2012, 13:26
I have a Rittreck metal hood; it's in poor shape, and needs a lot of work to make it into a functional piece again.
But to use it for GG protection would require less work.
I don't mind sending it to you for the cost of shipping, just PM me.

wmsey
1-Mar-2012, 14:07
Calumet used to (still may) sell a very simple, very inexpensive plastic "U" shaped ground glass protector. It simple slipped into the area in front of the glass (where a film holder would go) and then, think "U" shape, reached around and covered the outside of the glass. I removed the fussy and fragile Wista back early on and used the simple Calumet protector for most of 20 years.

The Wista is gone. I have the Calument protector if you want it. Just PM me an address and it's yours.

p.87
1-Mar-2012, 16:33
Thanks to everyone for your replies, I can already see that this is an excellent place for anything large format related :)

wmsey - I just sent you a PM, not sure if theres a minimum amount of posts I have to have before I can send PM's, seemed like it work though.

Brian Ellis
1-Mar-2012, 18:18
If all you need is protection just tape a piece of heavy cardboard to the ground glass. If you wanted to get fancy you could make one out of wood. Or if you want to get really fancy, get the Calumet protector that wmsey mentions. And the ultimate in fanciness would be the similar one made by Canham. I had both the Calumet and the Canham. I preferred Canham's, it looked nicer (Calumet's is ABS black, Canham's is clear plastic) and seemed thicker so it perhaps provides better protection. I'm not sure Canham still makes these but it would be easy enough to check. Then again, you can't beat wmsey's very generous offer.

B.S.Kumar
1-Mar-2012, 20:39
If at any time in the future you decide that you do want the Wista folding focusing hood (which is very nice, and not at all flimsy), remember that not all of them are created the same. They differ from model to model, sometimes between different versions of the same model. Ari knows a lot about Wista focusing hoods :)

Kumar

Ari
1-Mar-2012, 20:47
If at any time in the future you decide that you do want the Wista folding focusing hood (which is very nice, and not at all flimsy), remember that not all of them are created the same. They differ from model to model, sometimes between different versions of the same model. Ari knows a lot about Wista focusing hoods :)

Kumar

:)
Yes, make sure you check every detail of a potential hood before buying one to make sure it will fit on your camera.
It took me a year to find the correct hood; by then, price was secondary.
They are that hard to find.