PDA

View Full Version : Using Polaroid in the bare naked cold?

Stpephen Willlard
4-Feb-1999, 16:26
I use lots of polaroid to proof my compositions high in the Rocky Mountains. Ju st cannot live without the stuff. Soon I am planning a five day winter trip wit h tents, skiis, and 4x5 gear. Not light! I have been using hand warmers to warm my polaroid, but it an`t easy and it stinks. I even sleep with my polaroid fi lm and holder in my bag to keep it from getting cold. Perhaps some one out there has a better solution than I and would love to share it with me.... Please.

Jeff White
4-Feb-1999, 19:27
Polariod is a wonderful tool for learning composition but if space and weight are a concern for me it is the first thing that gets pulled from my bag. Sometimes you have to work without a net.

Charles Matter
5-Feb-1999, 09:08
Temp does not affect exposure...only development. So keep the packets warm..one by one just prior to development. Best place I've found..armpit. I think I recall some kind of little holder that Polaroid made..just for that purpose.

Rob Tucher
5-Feb-1999, 18:44
I use a folded aluminum "box" to keep the next sheet of Polaroid to be used and the currently processing one warm. I got thin-gauge aluminum, folded it to make a noarrow container just big enough to accomodate two sheets of Polaroid, clip end down, and short enought so the pull tab sticks out a bit, drilled a hole on either side, and hang it around my neck and down into my coat. You still have to sleep with it but processing is a breeze this way. I agree that Polaroid gets chucked first because of weight, but some clients insist on it and Polaroid makes a great catalogue of images shot on the huge jobs (50 views, 4 negatives of each!).

Bill Jefferson
8-Oct-1999, 08:00
I live in Vermont and in the winter it can get to -50 degs. and any sunny day I am shooting 4x5 sheet and Polaroids.

Usually I develop the film the day after the shoot in the house. And I use the armpit method also, on the floor of the car with the heater running full balst (not recommended)

As for the Cold Clip, that was refered to take 2 pieces of thin aluminum and tape together at one end with a piece of duck tape.