PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody help me to identify what are these for, Please!!!

dick0309
29-Feb-2012, 09:00
Newbie here say hello to everybody. I do need some kind of help from expert like you.
I got a box of old camera parts last year and I can not figure it out what is this for. Try google for days, no luck. I suspect these masks probably for some kind of focusing device. It will be highly appreciated If you can let me know what are these for. thanks in advance.

There is "insert mask with pin toward lens" indicated on the leather surface.

lenser
29-Feb-2012, 09:54
Are you sure that these are for a camera? With the red handles and the various openings in the metal, they look very much as though they could be masks for use in some kind of spot light. The masks would allow for the light to throw a specific pattern on the subject. The handles would allow the masks to be pulled or pushed into position to pinpoint the position of the pattern on the subject and the handles would allow for the fact that in a spot light, there could be considerable heat buildup on the metal.

Sevo
29-Feb-2012, 14:09
I agree, looks like "gobos" - i.e. spotlight light forming masks. What size are they? Probably not big, if you considered their use as part of a finder system, but they still might be part of a light forming attachment to some tabletop scale light like a Dedolight or Inky. Any cine light rental places around you whom you might show it for a closer inspection?

dick0309
29-Feb-2012, 15:55
Are you sure that these are for a camera? With the red handles and the various openings in the metal, they look very much as though they could be masks for use in some kind of spot light. The masks would allow for the light to throw a specific pattern on the subject. The handles would allow the masks to be pulled or pushed into position to pinpoint the position of the pattern on the subject and the handles would allow for the fact that in a spot light, there could be considerable heat buildup on the metal.

good point. I will keep googling about this. thank you.

dick0309
29-Feb-2012, 16:01
I agree, looks like "gobos" - i.e. spotlight light forming masks. What size are they? Probably not big, if you considered their use as part of a finder system, but they still might be part of a light forming attachment to some tabletop scale light like a Dedolight or Inky. Any cine light rental places around you whom you might show it for a closer inspection?

it is about 1/2"Wx2" L. I don't really know what they are. I just guess they are for some kind RF device which probably wrong. Thank you.

ic-racer
29-Feb-2012, 17:05
Look like split screen masks (http://www.delmarlearning.com/companions/content/1435456130/online_chapter_preview/1-4354-5613-0_Ch9.pdf) and two vignettes for special effects. These probably were placed in a matte box on the front of the cine lens.

Sevo
29-Feb-2012, 18:58
it is about 1/2"Wx2" L.

That is even smaller than I assumed - too small for lighting parts. Worse, I'd expect any camera ever used with a matte box to have had a considerably bigger matte box size (not below 2" square), so we can most likely rule out even the smallest format cameras, which does not leave us much options. My next guess given the size: Special effects masks from a 8mm or 16mm optical printer - those I worked with used the same outer mask dimensions as 35mm printers, with smaller cut-outs, but there may have been dedicated 16mm or smaller printers with a matching mask size.

dick0309
1-Mar-2012, 07:38
Look like split screen masks (http://www.delmarlearning.com/companions/content/1435456130/online_chapter_preview/1-4354-5613-0_Ch9.pdf) and two vignettes for special effects. These probably were placed in a matte box on the front of the cine lens.

I think you point to the correct direction. and I believe these mask are nothing to do with my currect photo gears. thank you.

dick0309
1-Mar-2012, 07:40
That is even smaller than I assumed - too small for lighting parts. Worse, I'd expect any camera ever used with a matte box to have had a considerably bigger matte box size (not below 2" square), so we can most likely rule out even the smallest format cameras, which does not leave us much options. My next guess given the size: Special effects masks from a 8mm or 16mm optical printer - those I worked with used the same outer mask dimensions as 35mm printers, with smaller cut-outs, but there may have been dedicated 16mm or smaller printers with a matching mask size.

in the same box, I have also a Baia 8mm, 16mm film splicer. so you probably right. but I am sure there are nothing to do with my currect gears. thank you for your help.

Marc B.
1-Mar-2012, 09:08
Wild guess...I wonder if these aren't for a 'cine/movie' camera, inserted directly in front of the film plane at the film gate?

Sevo
1-Mar-2012, 09:41
Wild guess...I wonder if these aren't for a 'cine/movie' camera, inserted directly in front of the film plane at the film gate?

What camera? I can tell you it can fit no stock professional camera (there were not that many fundamentally different ones, and I've handled most of them), and amateur cameras did not have such a level of complexity. It could be that someone once created a film gate mask modification for some camera. But I haven't ever heard of such a thing, and there would not be that much use for a film gate side mask effect - if you want such a effect under visual control you have to put it in the matte box where you can see it in the finder, and if you don't need that, it is far more comfortable to do it in the dubbing/printing, where you can shift/adjust masks as often as you like without repeating the scene.

Besides, it seems to have been boxed with a splicer rather than with camera parts, which points to a postprocessing use, too.