PDA

View Full Version : Film is Not Dead (Book)

Darin Boville
29-Feb-2012, 08:56
Just saw this on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321812808/ref=pd_1ctyhuc__mrairnr_01_01

--Darin

vinny
29-Feb-2012, 09:01
jonathan canlas is a wedding photographer who shoots film and charges appropriately for his work.

Jay DeFehr
29-Feb-2012, 10:52
Just looking at the table of contents I see a lot of nonsense that makes me question everything else in the book. No sale.

Darin Boville
29-Feb-2012, 10:55
Just looking at the table of contents I see a lot of nonsense that makes me question everything else in the book. No sale.

If you flip through the online pages you'll see it is not a book for anyone here--it is very lightweight and amounts to a bunch of picts with captions. It's aimed at the hobbyist or prosumer digital photographer who may not have much of any experience with film.

I just thought it was sort of interesting.

--Darin

Jay DeFehr
29-Feb-2012, 17:26
Darin,

Maybe I came off too serious. The book seems like a shameless attempt to profit from the ignorance of less experienced photographers, and that rubs me the wrong way. I think what I find most irritating is that it pretends to be an educational book, meant to help people, and validated by the author's successful photography business. It seems his real talent is for parting the naive from their money.

Steve Muntz
1-Mar-2012, 04:54
I just thought it was sort of interesting.

It is interesting. Written for a different crowd, but a lot of people who are new to photography have no idea what to do with film. The sections on characteristics of different films and where to have it processed will probably be 'dated' all too soon, but I'm sure it will help some people. Lots of positive reviews too.

Tobias Key
1-Mar-2012, 06:16
The more people using film the better it is for us gnarled old luddites. Anything that encourages that is a good thing for us, even slightly lightweight books.

Fred L
1-Mar-2012, 07:38
I hate rules ;)

Jay DeFehr
1-Mar-2012, 08:17
The more people using film the better it is for us gnarled old luddites. Anything that encourages that is a good thing for us, even slightly lightweight books.

If I was a digital photographer with any kind of grasp of the basics of photography, this book might convince me film users are grasping at straws to defend their chosen media, maybe because there's nothing more substantial to grasp for. It would be very difficult for such a reader to get past the "Why I shoot Film" list. I don't think this book is going to win any digital shooters away to film, and seems intent on luring non-photographers by smoke and mirrors. I don't see how this is good for film or film users. I see it as an embarrassment to film users.