PDA

View Full Version : Looking for reliable labs in the NW.

Leszek Vogt
29-Feb-2012, 00:56
Howdy,

Since I don't have plumbing for it or the space for darkroom, I'd like to have my negatives (4x5) done by a lab...with an option of burning some low-level scans. Are there still any in this part of the country. I'd even consider sending to Calif/Colo...if the prices were reasonable. To be more exact, I may dive into transparencies, Ektar 100 and B&W. I'd appreciate any helpful suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Les

jcoldslabs
29-Feb-2012, 01:29
I can't speak for Seattle, but Pro Photo Supply's lab here in Portland has been great and very reasonable for LF work. Not everything is done in house--some is sent out to I-don't-know-where, but the processing has been consistent and the prices good.

http://www.prophotosupply.com/p-lab.htm

Jonathan

Scott Knowles
29-Feb-2012, 08:42
There only is only a few custom B&W labs left in Seattle which handle 4x5 film but you should ask the guys at Glazer's in Lake Union, the guys in the part of the store across the street from the main store where film is sold, several shoot LF. The closest lab for 4x5 film I use is Main Photo Lab (http://mainphoto.com/index.html) in LA.

John Rodriguez
29-Feb-2012, 09:07
In San Francisco I use Light Waves Imaging for E6/C41 and Gamma Black and White for BW. I've never had an issue with either one.

Michael Graves
29-Feb-2012, 09:19
If you are willing to mail you photos out, I had Reed Photo do some color work for me this past summer and they did excellent work. They have a BW list as well, but since I do my own in that regard, I have not tried them.
Reed Photo Imaging www.reedphoto.com
888 Federal Boulevard - Denver, Colorado 80204 Ph: 303.573.8084 Fax: 303.573.8087 Toll Free: 800.999.8084

ROL
29-Feb-2012, 10:19
I know this probably isn't the answer you are looking for, but I do think it is a "helpful suggestion", for you, or anyone in your circumstance, now or in the future. Develop the film yourself. You can make any enclosed space work for you (i.e., closet, bathroom, etc.), even without the convenience of plumbing. Many here have made it work for them. Daylight systems still exist, and open trays are certainly possible, if not immediately convenient. Search this forum (or APUG (http://www.apug.org/forums/home.php)) for these techniques and general sheet development.

I know how daunting the task of film development can be to the uninitiated (you didn't indicate whether you already know how to develop film), and recognize that many who enter the LF realm do so camera first. But if you intend to pursue classical, increasingly commercially unsupported forms of photography, you will sooner or later, have to figure out how to do things for yourself. That's not opinion, but the inescapable truth. For me, the only substantial reason not to develop your own, is when truly working in the field and requiring images immediately. But then maybe film is not the right tool in that case.

The good news is that once learned, film development (and later printing) will enable you to have full control over the creative process. This can (should) be very empowering to you as a photographer/artist. And you will no longer be held hostage to the vagaries of popular commercial enterprise.

Brian C. Miller
29-Feb-2012, 10:41
Les, what kind of a bathroom do you have? Mine is a cramped thing with a sloping roof to boot, yet I use it as my darkroom.

My sink has some counter space on it. Does yours have counter space? (sinks without counter space are very difficult to use!) I have enough room to set up four trays for print development and washing, and I use one tray when I'm developing film. I also use a Jobo for most of my film development.

I have developed C-41 and E-6 at home, but I don't shoot very much of it, so I'd rather send it out.

As for the labs that Glazer's recommends, the mail-order lab is in Texas. The name escapes me at the moment.

ross
29-Feb-2012, 11:42
Panda Labs in Seattle does a nice job with 4x5 BW. It sounds like their E6 sheet film processing is getting closer to being a reality (although they've been saying that for quite some time).

http://www.pandalab.com/

Leszek Vogt
29-Feb-2012, 21:00
Thanks much for the quick replies.

Ross - I've done some B&W shots via Panda and they seem OK....though I may send it off if it's all in one package (?)

Brian - My bathroom has a sizable window....and frankly I'm not all that ecstatic about dealing with chemicals (read on) aside from pile of excuses that I have :D

ROL - I'm aware where is all of this heading and although I'm not willing to deal with my own processing (at this time), there will likely be time where I'll have to
roll up my sleeves and at least do my own B&W negatives (I can deal with that - only that). Mostly that's why I jumped into LF...it's B&W!! I'm lot less
serious about color, but like anyone else, certainly like to see my files to wreak quality. I should add, that I've done thousands of rolls (35mm) the old
fashion way + enlargements for HS yearbook (early 70's) and strangely enough, the chemicals (even in theory) are still tickling my nostrils. Thanks for the
heads up, anyway.

Les

Brian C. Miller
1-Mar-2012, 09:09
Windows: these can be blocked up with temporary coverings. At first I used blackout plastic and tape, and then I moved to a white piece of formica board with some weather stripping around the edges to seal out the light. I have a darkroom vent in it for air.

Fumes: Hook a dryer hose to the bathroom fan vent, and then put the other end down where you are working with the chemicals. Then the fumes won't even get near your nose. (Won't help with psychological trauma from the '70s, though)