PDA

View Full Version : Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 150mm f4.5

wskmosaic
28-Feb-2012, 19:31
Can anyone tell me what size filter will fit this lens? Or where I must start with a step-up ring adapter to use a larger modern screw-on filter? The lens was original, I think, with the Pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic.
tnx
Warren

jcoldslabs
29-Feb-2012, 01:50
I am able to fit a press-on Series VII 1 11/16" (42.5mm) adapter ring to the front of my 15cm Tessar which allows me to add a Series VII lens hood and filters.

http://kolstad.us/ebay/Tessar-01.jpg

http://kolstad.us/ebay/Tessar-02.jpg

Jonathan

Per Madsen
29-Feb-2012, 05:16
Can anyone tell me what size filter will fit this lens? Or where I must start with a step-up ring adapter to use a larger modern screw-on filter? The lens was original, I think, with the Pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic.
tnx
Warren

I have a post-war Carl Zeiss (Oberkochen) 150 mm 4.5 tessar, which have a 49 mm filter size.

IanG
29-Feb-2012, 06:38
I've three CZJ 150mm f4.5 Tessars and they are all slightly different filter threads or push on. The dialset Compr version is in Turkey or I'd check it, then there's the early Rimset Compur version followed by a more modern lighter lens mount which is 40.5mm screw thread quite different to the Linhof select 150mm f4.5 Tessars from Carl Zeiss (Oberkochen) made at the same time. The older lenses while they have a thread are disigned for push on filter usually 42.5 as mentioned abaove.

You really need to check which version you have.

Ian

FpJohn
1-Mar-2012, 10:16
tnx
Warren

My dial set Tessar 150mm takes a E39mm filter.

yours
Frank

wskmosaic
1-Mar-2012, 11:54
I've three CZJ 150mm f4.5 Tessars and they are all slightly different filter threads or push on. The dialset Compr version is in Turkey or I'd check it, then there's the early Rimset Compur version followed by a more modern lighter lens mount which is 40.5mm screw thread quite different to the Linhof select 150mm f4.5 Tessars from Carl Zeiss (Oberkochen) made at the same time. The older lenses while they have a thread are disigned for push on filter usually 42.5 as mentioned abaove.

You really need to check which version you have.

Ian

It's a compur-mounted rimset shutter.

E. von Hoegh
1-Mar-2012, 11:57
tnx
Warren

Measure the outside diameter of the front of the lens, then look for a push on series adapter to fit. You can then get a series - to - metric adapter, or go with the series filters.

Barry Kirsten
12-Nov-2012, 17:14
The above replies almost answer the same question I have regarding a similar lens, a Carl Zeiss Jena 13.5 cm f/4.5 Tessar.

Thinking that this lens has a 34 mm filter thread, I purchased a 34-49 step-up ring, only to find it doesn't quit fit. On closer inspection, the front thread appears to be solely for holding the front element in place via a screw-in ring, and doesn't seem to have a lead-in on the thread for a filter to engage with. I'm wondering if someone can confirm this?

If the solution is to use a Series push-on adapter, what number adapter fits 36.8 push-on size please?

Thanks, Barry.

Barry Kirsten
12-Nov-2012, 17:22
Just to add some info about the original post, I also have CZJ 15 com f/4.5 in a rim-set Compur, and it has a 40.5 mm filter thread. So there is quite a bit of variation. I also have a 16.5 cm f/4.5 which has a 48 mm thread.

Barry.

IanG
12-Nov-2012, 18:30
I have a CZJ 165mm f6.3 Tessar, Rimset Comor, that seems to be 34mm push on filter, also a CZJ 165mm f5.3 Tessar Rimset Compur again takes 36.5mm push on filters, those measurements are to about 0.5mm.

Ian

Barry Kirsten
13-Nov-2012, 00:44
Thanks Ian. Apparently the slower f/6.3 were smaller in diameter (and some say sharper) than their f/4.5 counterparts. I have cells of CZJ 180 mm f/6.3 having 39 mm filter thread or 41.5 push-on.

To get back to my original question, what Series push-on adapter is available for 36.8 mm diam. please?

Barry.

IanG
13-Nov-2012, 02:35
It's here on the Camera Eccentric website (http://cameraeccentric.com/html/info/zeiss_1.html). Page 19 of the 1927 CZJ catalogue.

So the 36.8mm is a III, that changes to 39mm later (1929). I was lucky enough to pick up a mint cased set of Zeiss Ikon Red and green filters, I'd guess post WWII, size II which is 32mm they fit both the 135mm f4.5 Tessar on my Patent Etui and the 165mm f6.3 Tessar, a bonus is also my Meyer Wide angle.

Ian

Barry Kirsten
13-Nov-2012, 11:50
It's here on the Camera Eccentric website (http://cameraeccentric.com/html/info/zeiss_1.html). Page 19 of the 1927 CZJ catalogue.

So the 36.8mm is a III, that changes to 39mm later (1929). I was lucky enough to pick up a mint cased set of Zeiss Ikon Red and green filters, I'd guess post WWII, size II which is 32mm they fit both the 135mm f4.5 Tessar on my Patent Etui and the 165mm f6.3 Tessar, a bonus is also my Meyer Wide angle.

Ian

Thanks a lot, Ian. I didn't know about that site. That information is valuable for Zeiss Tessar fans.

Barry.