PDA

View Full Version : Please help me customize a 4x5" chamonix N-2 camera with lens : ) !!!

Ig Nacio
27-Feb-2012, 17:21
Hi,

After some months of thinking, I am getting a LF camera : ) !!!

I don't know if I may go solo on this one, or if a friend
may share the investment with me.

I am trying to keep the system as simple as possible: the
camera, one lens, and the necessary accesories.

The camera we have thought on is the Chamonix 45N-2.
This is a very light camera. (Unfortunately,) we are buying
it new and paying the full $900 that it costs. I have not
seen a used one on sale recently. May be is good to buy
it new. I was "warned" when I entered this forum. A per-
son said that not everybody stays in love with LF for a very
long time. We hope for the long run, but we don't know
either. Perhaps we don't loose a lot if we have to sell it.

The lens that has recently been offered to us is a Xenar
210mm f/6.1 from Schneider Kreuznach. Some months
ago we thought of a shorter focal length, something be-
tween 110 mm. and 150 mm., but this lens is coming our
way, so it looks like we are going to take it. What would
you say is a fair/good price to pay ?? The lens glass is
scratch, mold and fungus free. We are going to see the
lens in the coming days, and except from the fact that it
carries the Schneider "last name", we don't know if it is
a good lens per se. Being the equivalent of a 62(*70)
mm. lens, the lens will be used for full and half body
compositions. As we get better with the handling of the
camera, some portraiture and some still lifes too.
I found one thread about this lens here, it is quite
positive. It would be interesting to hear more from you:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/archive/index.php/t-18282.html

Other accesories sold for the camera are the following.
Please feel free to recommend them to us or to avoid
any of them.

There is a choice between the universal bellows $88, and
the standard bellows $56. Which one is enough for a
lens up to 210 mm.?
http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/bellow.html

Lens board. They sell two choices. Do I need any of
these two?:
Linhoff type carbon fiber lens board from Chamonix: $75
Sinar type carbon fiber lens board from Chamonix: $88
http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/lensboard.html

An adapter:
http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/adapters.html

Viewers:
Folding $45
Reflex $200, expensive, isn't? Almost one fourth the
value of the camera body!
http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/viewfinder.html

Thank you, kind regards,

Ig Nacio : ) !!!

sethlatimer
27-Feb-2012, 18:17
I recently bought my first lf camera, an 045n-2 and two lenses, a 90mm and a 210. It all seems to work great together, the camera with either lens has plenty of movement. Mine has the universal bellows; it comes with the camera. I can focus the 210 to within a meter without the extension board. The 90mm of course can focus closer than 1:1.
The 045n-2 uses the linhof technika lensboards. The chamonix ones are very nice carbon fiber. Make sure you get the lensboard drilled for the shutter your lens has. You don't need the adapter lensboards for the 4x5 camera.

I bought the folding viewer and I use it for urban shots when I dont want to get under a dark cloth. The glass looks a bit dimmer with the folding viewer compared to a dark cloth. I havent used the reflex viewer so somebody else may comment. Have fun with your new camera!
Seth

Ig Nacio
27-Feb-2012, 19:36
Hi Seth,

Thank you for your post and to all who had the kindness to read it : ) !!!

We have not used a LF camera, except for the occasion we shared it in
a workshop with five other persons. We assume that with the universal
bellows, not the standard one, and the extension board one may be able
to focus as close as to a ratio of 1:1, 1:2, or 1:3, but perhaps it is not
so easy with this lens. On the other side is this lens like a 62 mm. in 35
mm. format?

Which information should I give the people at chamonix with regard to the
lens board? Should we ask for a Linhof or Sinar lens board? Perhaps we
should ask the person who is selling the lens to us if it doesn't have a lens
board. Shouldn't a lens like this one come with a lens board?

Perhaps we should use a cloth as well if the focusing cristal is going to be
dimmed with any of the viewers.

We have not paid the camera yet. We still have to order it. We were told
it takes two to three months for each batch to be built. How long did you
have to wait? We are happy to get the lens though : ) !!!

Thank you, kind regards,

Preston
27-Feb-2012, 20:55
Ig Nacio,

I bought a 045N-2 in late 2011. It came with the universal bellows. The 045 uses Linhoff style boards: you do not want the Sinar style. With regard to the Schneider-Xenar 210mm--You should find out not only if it comes with a lens board, but also with the corrrect board. As Seth said, if you need a lens board, it must be drilled to fit the shutter on the 210. You should ask which shutter the lens is mounted in. You shouldn't order a board until you have this information.

You can save some money by using a dark cloth, rather than the folding hood. The ground glass on the camera is nice and bright. Also, the extension rail is very handy. I've used it with my Nikkor 300mm for a couple of close-in shots. I actually bought the rail so that I will be able to use it with a 450mm, when I find one.

The 045N-2 is a great camera. I really like mine! Luckily, they had my camera in stock, so I did not have to wait. It took a little time to get used to the axis lens tilt, but all is well, now. Honestly, the Chamonix is very fine camera for the money!

Enjoy the journey into LF!

--P

Ig Nacio
28-Feb-2012, 03:47
Hi,

Thank you for your message : ) !!!

I bought a 045N-2 in late 2011. It came with the universal bellows.
So the $900 body comes with the universal bellows. One doesn't have to order one
on top. It is included in the "body kit".

It is a Schneider Kreuznach 210mm F/6.1 on Prontor Press Shutter. Will it be hard to
drill a board for it?

It took a little time to get used to the axis lens tilt For portraiture
and half body compositions, that shouldn't be something to worry about. Should it?

Thank you again, kind regards,

Ole Tjugen
28-Feb-2012, 05:31
The 210mm f:6.1 Xenar is in a #1 shutter, that's a standard shutter size. So just order a lens board with a #1 hole in it.

Axis tilt is great! It takes a little getting used to - IF you are already used to base tilt. Don't worry.

For the record, one of my cameras has axis, base and "displaced axis" tilt. But that's extreme, and the camera is long out of production.

Ig Nacio
28-Feb-2012, 10:16
Hi,

The 210mm f:6.1 Xenar is in a #1 shutter, that's a standard shutter size. So just order a lens board with a #1 hole in it.
Yes, I'll order it with this characteristic.

Axis tilt is great! It takes a little getting used to - IF you are already used to base tilt. Don't worry.
No real experience, but I'll do my best as soon as the camera arrives.

Thank you, kind regards,

Ig Nacio
28-Feb-2012, 11:49
P.S. The camera hails from China, how much or what percentage should we expect to pay in duties?

ashlee52
28-Feb-2012, 13:20
Ok, let me tell you what I know.

Large format lenses are mechanically pretty simple. They mount to thick sheet metal plates with a hole drilled one of the several standard sizes (#0 #1, #3 being the common ones). These plates are specific to each camera, but there are a few used by multiple cameras (the Technika board is used by more cameras than any other, the larger Sinar board is also common to a few cameras). The Chamonix, as mentioned, uses a Technika board... you can find them all over.

A 210 mm lens is a very good choice for figure or portraiture. A lens any shorter than that tends to have more issues with distortion (such as you get trying to take a close up portrait using a wide angle lens). The lens you mention is an OK lens. The f 5.6 210s from various manufacturers generally have more movement potential.

I have the Chamonix 45n2 and love it. There is no duty involved in importing it to the US. Other countries are much more likely to have import duties. (That's why we have such terrible balance of payments problems.)

If I were buying a camera for studio use and principally for figure or portrait photography I would buy a used Sinar F series or Sinar Norma camera instead as they are much easier to use once mounted on a tripod. The Chamonix is a field camera, which means it folds up very small. And once unfolded it is also quite easy to use. But it isn't as easy to adjust or view as a monorail. That said, you can practically use any view camera for any shot. The difference is how ideal any particular camera is for any particular shot.

As far as viewing hoods, dark cloths etc... I have recently been won over to the cheapest of all options... using a black t-shirt with only your head through the head hole and the rest of the t-shirt around the back of the camera. Especially in any sort of wind this is much easier than a dark cloth. And it is darker than a folding hood.

Save plenty of money for a solid tripod with quality head, film holders, a good light meter, and the proper set up to process film.

You can often save a bundle by buying a "kit" on Ebay where someone is selling camera, one or more lenses, film holders etc all together. I have several cameras and boxes of film holders I got for free when buying such a kit for the value of the lens or lenses alone. It has gotten just plane silly how cheap large format equipment has gotten now that most professional photography has gone digital.

Ig Nacio
2-Mar-2012, 12:33
Hi,

Thank you for your post : ) !!!

The Chamonix, as mentioned, uses a Technika board... you can find them all over.
So, you mean, I could even get it for less than the $88 this person is claiming?

A 210 mm lens is a very good choice for figure or portraiture. A lens any shorter
than that tends to have more issues with distortion (such as you get trying to take a close
up portrait using a wide angle lens). Wow, I didn't think the 150 mm. could
have some distortion.

The f 5.6 210s from various manufacturers generally have more movement
potential. Please tell me more what you may mean by movement potential. Is
the IC a bit larger?

If I were buying a camera for studio use and principally for figure or portrait
photography I would buy a used Sinar F series or Sinar Norma camera instead as they are
much easier to use once mounted on a tripod. The Chamonix is a field camera, which means
it folds up very small. At the moment, I am looking for price, portability, and
ease to mount. I would happily buy a used Chamonix 45 N-2, but I don't see at the moment
a used one. I have mounted once a Sinar F1 or F2 in a course I took. It took some time.
It seems to me that the Chamonix takes less time for this. Even though I will mainly use
the chamonix for portraiture, I would find interesting using a Sinar. I am being
offered a used Sinar P2. The backdraw is the weight: 5,9 Kg, thre times the chamonix
with a lens. The plus are the markings. Because I will always use the camera in the same
positions. I think it doesn't make any difference, the front and back plates will always
be straight. At least is what I think, but I cold be wrong.

using a black t-shirt with only your head through the head hole and the rest of the t-shirt
around the back of the camera. Yes, I'll use one : ) !!!

Save plenty of money for a solid tripod with quality head, film holders, a good light meter,
and the proper set up to process film. I will only need film holders. I have a tripod that
can hold up to five kilos. I feel it a bit heavy, though. I am getting a vase to develop the
film.

You can often save a bundle by buying a "kit" on Ebay where someone is selling camera,
one or more lenses, film holders etc all together. I have several cameras and boxes of film
holders I got for free when buying such a kit for the value of the lens or lenses alone. It has
gotten just plane silly how cheap large format equipment has gotten now that most
professional photography has gone digital. I am crossing my fingers for a
good deal, specially on the chamonix camera : ) !!!

Thank you, kin regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

David de Gruyl
2-Mar-2012, 12:38
So, you mean, I could even get it for less than the $88 this person is claiming?

$88 will buy you a carbon fiber lens board. You can use any board which fits a Technika.

Ig Nacio
2-Mar-2012, 18:00
Hi,

Thank you : ) !!! At the moment I have seen some used boards at that price.

So, that one for that price is not so bad!

Kind regards,

ashlee52
8-Mar-2012, 21:16
You asked about lens lengths. You can certainly use a 150mm lens for portraiture but a 210 will have slightly less distortion of near/far relationships. You can easily get an argument started here as to which is the "normal" length for 4x5. My feeling is you use a 150 where you might use a 35mm lens in 35mm, and you use a 210 where you might want to use a 90mm lens in 35mm. So eht 150 is ideal for environmental portraiture, whereas the 210 is ideal for a tighter portrait.

When I am backpacking a camera the Sinar Norma is darn close to the Chamonix (total outfit) in weight, even if the cameras are a bit different. Once on a tripod there is no contest which is easier to use. But he beauty of the LF situation today is that all the old cameras sell for peanuts, so you can try a few and trade what doesn't fit your style. Personally I like using them all and complicate my life by having so many options. If I could only have one camera it would be a Sinar. I mostly do contemporary landscapes. If I did more portraits the Sinar would be be even more the choice.

The real beauty of the situation is that any good LF camera, including the Graflexes, will take almost any picture you can imagine. So you have no bad choices, only about 50 good choices.

Certainly don't think that by having a budget you are limited from getting the absolute finest equipment. The may be a bit true of lenses, but by and large for $450 you can get as fine a LF camera as you could ever want. The best photographers in the world could be completely happy with cameras you can but today for that price.

There are some very smart people who would say start with a Graflex. That's what I did, and in that case you can buy camera and lens for under $450. Until you have owned one it is hard to believe what quality they had. But in the end they are a little bit more for handheld photography and a little bit less for studio or landscape.

Ig Nacio
11-Mar-2012, 19:26
Hi Ashlee,

Thank you for your message : ) !!!

I am looking again at different options that you have suggested.
I don't know much about LF cameras. I am worried about
picking a camera that later may become defective. Many sellers
in general, don't offer a warranty, or it is very limited.

In the past, I bought from a "neighbor", a man living about a mile
away from me, an old Leica. Shortly after, the telemeter went
kaputt. I had to pay an extra price for it by sending it to repair.

Therefore, I am inclined to buy a new chamonix camera. In a
way, it feels like buying a used graflex camera on e-bay without
the lens, (between $450-$550), plus an expensive "repair" of
$450. My idea is to use the new camera for six months and do
as much with it as to recover half of the investment within six
to seven months.

I have found an inexpensive tripod from the giottos brand that
can withstand the weight of a chamonix, plus lens weight and
a film holder. Some four and half pounds. The weight of the
tripod with head is less than four pounds.

I do plan to move a bit around with the equipment, so the lighter
things can be, the better, I think, it'll be.

Your message is very encouraging. I am very excited about
a LF camera. I look forward to shooting with large format soon : ) !!!
I'll try to see if there is something for me in the buy/sell forum!

Thank you again, kind regards,

ndavid813
12-Mar-2012, 01:28
Don't rule out a Chamonix N-1. You may have more luck finding one used for around (or maybe under) $700. I have one and really like it, though I've never been able to compare it to the N-2. They look pretty similar to me. the N-1 can have some issues with focussing wide (< 90mm) lenses due to the palcement of the fresnal screen. but since you are planning on using a 210, you should not have that problem.

Light tripods are OK - try to make sure you can attach a hook below the head to hang a heavy bag underneath to give the setup stability.