PDA

View Full Version : G Claron 210 front cell won't fit in Copal 1. Why..?

redu
27-Feb-2012, 09:24
I thought all G Claron 210s should be fine with #1 size shutters. Mine is ok with the rear cell but the front cell is slightly smaller.

Not all G Clarons are created equal?

turtle
27-Feb-2012, 10:57
I have heard of some that don't fit in standard copal shutters. I can't say any more, but there are threads on this subject and it seems there are no obvious markings or designations that tell you.

I'm sure someone more expert than I will chime in.

redu
28-Feb-2012, 01:38
OK I've done some searching and now came to know that the G Clarons had been produced in two optical designs. The older ones are in 6 elements 2 groups Dagor type and the newer ones are in 6 elements 4 groups Plasmat type. My lens is at home that i can not check right now the serial number to tell which year it belongs. Does any of you know if these two were differing on the mounting thread sizes as well?

Dan Fromm
28-Feb-2012, 06:12
OK I've done some searching and now came to know that the G Clarons had been produced in two optical designs. The older ones are in 6 elements 2 groups Dagor type and the newer ones are in 6 elements 4 groups Plasmat type. My lens is at home that i can not check right now the serial number to tell which year it belongs. Does any of you know if these two were differing on the mounting thread sizes as well?

To answer your question, the dagor type 305/9 has cells that go into a #2-R 5/2. Schneider didn't give a shutter size for the dagor type 355. The plasmat type 305 goes into a #1, the plasmat type 355 into a #3. Both 150s go into a #0, the others into a #1.

I have in hand a 210/9 dagor type G-Claron. Its cells go straight into a #1.

I have had three (3) 240/9 dagor type G-Clarons. Their cells went straight into a #1.

Do you have loose cells or are they in a barrel? I ask because my G-Clarons, past and present, including a 150/9 plasmat type whose cells were direct fits in a #0, were all in barrel. The barrels matched -- threading in diameters, spacing -- the shutters Schneider recommended for the lenses.

Ask Schneider for help. They're fairly responsive.

Larry H-L
28-Feb-2012, 07:27
There are also some lenses that are C-Clarons, "see" instead of "gee."

Could you have one of those?

tahmasib
13-Mar-2012, 04:41
70106 70107 70108

Hi all!
I recently got this lens, thread sizes front and rear elements are different.
I so understood in Copal #1 does not fit?

front thread ~ 40mm
back thread ~ 35mm

Dan Fromm
13-Mar-2012, 06:35
Wrong. The dimensions you gave are correct for a Compur/Copal/Prontor/Seiko #1. See http://www.skgrimes.com/products/new-copal-shutters

Jim Galli
13-Mar-2012, 18:14
I've had dozens of 210mm G-Clarons come and go over the years and NEVER had one that wasn't a direct fit in a Copal 1. Check again. Check that the Copal doesn't have a bushing in the front that makes the threads smaller than factory to fit some previous lens.