PDA

View Full Version : Development Times for Kodak Sheet Film in Small Tanks

Black Lightning
27-Feb-2012, 06:28
I just cracked open my first box of sheet film in about twelve years; Kodak T Max 100. The first thing to surprise me was the absence of processing instructions. The people at Kodak who design the box must have known that the people who are supposed to put the instructions in the box are some combination of lazy, incompetent or laid off: There is a handy little URL on the box directing me to a spot on Kodak's website where I can find ten year old processing instructions which I will assume are still current. Never mind that I am still not quite certain if I bought a box of T-Max 100 Professional or Professional T-Max 100, The instructions tell all about processing rolls of film in small tanks and all about processing sheet film in trays but nothing about processing sheet film in small tanks.

I tried the tray method once with a load of Tech Pan 25 and I ended up with a dozen scratched negatives so I would like to stick with my Nikor tank which works great, doesn't scratch film and allows for excellent even development. I would like to know if anybody here knows of a compelling reason why Kodak seems to completely dismiss the notion that there are some of us who like to process our sheet film in small tanks.

I also would like to know if somebody here knows of a phone number I can call for technical support on Kodak films. If such a number is on Kodak's website it is certainly not any place I would think to look for it.

I now have a little more understanding why Kodak is bankrupt.

vinny
27-Feb-2012, 06:41
Digitaltruth's massive development chart is a place to start.

Black Lightning
27-Feb-2012, 06:53
Can you post a link directly to said chart?

David de Gruyl
27-Feb-2012, 07:04
I don't know about "10 year old" but this is current: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/f4016/f4016.pdf

this is the massive dev chart for Kodak T-Max 100 http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php?Film=TMax+100&Developer=&mdc=Search but you have to make sure you check the notes to see if it is current for your developer.

Sheet film developing time is either listed for tray processing, rotary tube processing or large tank. It is rarely listed for small tank. I have found that testing is required, regardless, so I would recommend using the specified times as a starting point and adjusting developing for your own workflow.

Black Lightning
27-Feb-2012, 07:11
Thank you.