PDA

View Full Version : Expired Kodak TXP 320 4x5

Dan95
27-Feb-2012, 05:33
Expired a year ago. Was given to me by a friend.

Im not sure whether he refrigerated the thing...

Any adverse effects of using expired film ?

Was also given 5-year old Polaroid 4x5s, which I dont plan on using.

vinny
27-Feb-2012, 05:38
Search "expired film"
This has been discussed a lot.

Dan95
27-Feb-2012, 05:57
Any difference between the effects on sheet film and roll film ?

I read somewhere that roll films up to ASA 1600 can pass through the xray scanner at airports ( READ : NOT CHECK IN ). And sheet films cant!

Fred L
27-Feb-2012, 06:05
year old expired TXP=no problems.

sheet film and xray scanners (not checked baggage but boarding screening). ran TXP 4x5 through scanner about 5 or 6 times, no effects that I saw. was there any change in b+f ? very well possible if one ran it through a densitometer but visually ? nope.

and if you really don't plan to use the Polaroid, there will be tons of members here who will gladly take it off your hands ;)

jnantz
27-Feb-2012, 06:52
i regularly use expired tri x sheet film expired in the 80s and 90s.
they don't show too much fog ... ( all shelf stored in a cold basement )
i don't think you will have much trouble, but do a few test sheets in your favorite developer
to see ...

have fun!
john

Roger Cole
27-Feb-2012, 07:25
Any difference between the effects on sheet film and roll film ?

I read somewhere that roll films up to ASA 1600 can pass through the xray scanner at airports ( READ : NOT CHECK IN ). And sheet films cant!

You read wrong about sheet versus roll film and x-rays.

I don't have any experience with TXP but my experience shooting TMY expired in the late 90s and not cold stored was not very good. Some I had in holders from that period has quite high base fog. You can print through it but it can be hard to print. One year expired should be fine for most all black and white films, though.

Black Lightning
27-Feb-2012, 08:18
Tri-X which has been stored for twelve years in a damp basement is a delicacy to mildew. Actually that holds for Plus-X, Tech Pan and Portra 160 VC as well.

SamReeves
27-Feb-2012, 08:46
Tri-X which has been stored for twelve years in a damp basement is a delicacy to mildew. Actually that holds for Plus-X, Tech Pan and Portra 160 VC as well.

Wash it with bleach first. :D

I kid, I kid…don't try that.

RawheaD
27-Feb-2012, 19:41
Yeah, which Polas do you have? I'd love to take 'em, if they're one of the lower ISO ones.