PDA

View Full Version : Scratched up pressure plate

Dan95
26-Feb-2012, 01:29
Hi guys.

So I purchased a Cambo 4x5 SC, and it came with a free roll film holder. The seller told me it leaked, and he was unable to rectify the problem. I noticed it lacks light seals on the groves where the latch snaps in.

Upon further inspection, I noticed some irregularities to the pressure plate. Silly me, went and took some fine grit sandpaper and went rubbing away! Its now all smooth. And I wonder whether the scratches will affect my negatives. Here's a photo.

darr
26-Feb-2012, 05:41
The light trap leaks would definitely affect your negatives, but the pressure plate is suppose to keep the film flat. As long as it keeps the film flat like it suppose to and you have fixed the light leaks you should be good to go. You will only know once you try it.

Jim Jones
26-Feb-2012, 07:53
Since the pressure plate only contacts the film's paper backing (unless 220), sanding it should cause no problems. Don't do this with 35mm, though! You might check the pressure plate to see if it is really flat as well as smooth. Whatever caused the irregularities might have also distorted it.

Dan95
27-Feb-2012, 03:24
Thanks for the replies!

Ill shoot a test roll later on.