PDA

View Full Version : Source of Dirt Cheap 18x24cm holders!!!!

turtle
24-Feb-2012, 21:57
I was considering re-entering 8x10 and was looking for holders. I stumbled across super-cheap 18x24cm holders, which are NEW and are £12 / $19 each, so 4.5x cheaper than new 8x10 holders in the US.... I would imagine this is an effort to clear out holders they did not expect anyone to buy, but 18x24 film is easily available in Europe.

Now I have to buy the 8x10 camera, because I bought rather a lot of them and it has saved me an absolute fortune over buying even used 8x10 holders and at least I know these will all be light tight! Additionally, the aspect ratio of 18x24 is close to where I would end up cropping to anyway in many cases, so its just a case of marking up the ground glass.

For you Brits and Europeans, this is well worth considering. I dont know how many are left, but he had Lisco Regal and Fidelity Elite double boxes at 'More than 10 available' for each. I bought 10 of each.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/bowens_uk/m.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A6003&rt=nc&_ipg=&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=2

John Kasaian
24-Feb-2012, 22:10
Nice!

Daniel Stone
24-Feb-2012, 23:03
I'm assuming these won't work with 8x10 film though...

turtle
25-Feb-2012, 01:22
Daniel,

No they won't. The holders are the same external size, but the film area is a touch smaller on the inside. Much nicer aspect ratio and still readily available. If anyone in the US wanted to buy a bunch for use on longer road trips, I still think there would be some sense in it because it is affordable to have a lot of them. You could either cut the film down or make a special order. Foma, Efke/Adox and Ilford still make plenty of film in this size and I am sure it could be ordered from B&H etc.

Its nice to see that ordered from Europe the film is commensurately cheaper than 8x10 due to the smaller area: 80 sq" compared to (9.45" x 7.1") - 67 sq".

It also seems that Foma film ordered from Europe can be considerably cheaper than even Freestyle's Arista Edu Ultra. Boy, am I glad I looked into this.

Steve Salmons
25-Feb-2012, 01:46
"For you Brits and Europeans, this is well worth considering. I dont know how many are left, but he had Lisco Regal and Fidelity Elite double boxes at 'More than 10 available' for each. I bought 10 of each."

Many thanks for the tip;I have just bought a box. While I don't have a camera in this size at present who knows what the next 20 years will bring. I am a great believer in picking up stuff when it's cheap. If it turns out you you don't need it you can always sell on at worst at a minimal loss.

turtle
25-Feb-2012, 03:31
Steve,

Absolutely!

These are so cheap I am sure they will easily be saleable at twice the price once they dry up. 18x24 is still as common, if not more common, than 8x10 in Europe.

Ole Tjugen
25-Feb-2012, 04:35
And they don't ship outside UK...

turtle
25-Feb-2012, 04:40
If you ask them they might (especially if you bought a good number). Worth checking.

Steven Tribe
25-Feb-2012, 05:29
Thanks for giving away my source of 18x24 holders!! This is like any other Ebay listing, remember.
I told them a year ago about how they should get rid of their old new stock, than means, basically Europe.
Now that the source is published, I can assure you that they will, if pressed, sell overseas.
Remember that postage costs will "boost" the price to you.
I think they have 100's of the various fidelity varieties - but I have not published info as they appear on any search using 18x24.
It will interesting to see how the listing price goes up. I think I have enough, though.

turtle
25-Feb-2012, 06:19
Steve,

How many do you consider enough? I'm curious, because I used this as an opportunity to buy my 'ideal world' quantity - enough for a loooong road trip without loading or unloading holders. Some people happily work with five holders and others consider 100+ to be a reasonable number! I won't ever need another holder.

Steven Tribe
25-Feb-2012, 08:40
I think I only bought 4 - two boxes - equals 8 exposures. But I had some already which were in a lot of the usual 8x10 internal size.
Everyone use of large format is different. I find that 10 maximum loaded for day's outing is more than enough. And dark tent work with changing negatives is a good way to use hotel rooms and also keeps you away from temptations! Perhaps more organised and busy individuals can get through more - but that pushes the cost up a lot. Most of my current shooting involves air travel so restrictions on number of lenses and film holders are obvious.
My experiences with 18x24 Foma 100, bought through a German website, has been good.

turtle
25-Feb-2012, 12:59
Steve,

Foma 100 thru fotoimpex?

I love Foma 100 in 35mm - a lovely film - but have not yet tried sheet, but soon will. I am also excited about using Efke PL100 / Adox CMS 100. I used this in 5x4 many years ago and thought it truly beautiful, but just a touch too grainy for really creamy tones at 20x16" prints. In 18x24cm that won't be a problem of course, and 20x24" will be sumptuous.

I bought the holders with a view to having enough in the trunk of my car to last me a week of shooting without the need to reload. I often stay at hostels for extended trips as it keeps the costs down considerably. Now for the camera. A Chamonix 8x10 I suspect.

Sal Santamaura
25-Feb-2012, 14:49
...I think they have 100's of the various fidelity varieties..All 18x24cm? Or do they also have NOS Fidelity holders in other sizes? Of particular interest is 13x18cm.

Yes, I know, one can purchase 13x18cm holders used. I'd really like to get some new ones. :)

Steven Tribe
25-Feb-2012, 16:20
If think he did sell 13x18cm at one time. He has certainly 9x12 (4x5 casing) at the moment.
He isn't always active on ebay.

turtle
26-Feb-2012, 00:46
I have seen no 13x18s. I wanted some of those too, but alas, only 9x12 and 18x24 for now.

BTW Sal, how are you enjoying whole plate? I ask because I was agonising over 8x10 vs WP and decided I really was more inclined towards WP, but put off by availability issues and holder costs. However, when I saw these 18x24 holders the decision was made for a light 8x10 camera with the prospect of (IMO) a more pleasant aspect ratio (over 8x10) and ever so slightly better lens coverage. I have one 8x10 holder which I will use just to use up old film I still have. I'd hardly ever seen 18x24 holders for sale so I am not surprised this solution never occurred to me.

WP would be my ideal tho. Its such a shame the format was marginalised when it is such a wonderful balance of size and weight etc.

Steven Tribe
26-Feb-2012, 01:46
Just to remind you that the standard big size was 18x24 in Europe until after WWII. This includes both Reisekameras and the Atelier/Studio cameras. And they are still very much available there on the used market. Even when cameras went over to the modern backs (including Linhoff) the range was 9x12, 13x18 and 18x24. The old 10x15 format was given up - probably because there wasn't a existing Fidelity inch size that could be used.

Pete Watkins
26-Feb-2012, 08:45
So where the heck is "CHEAP" Foma 13x18 available in Europe? Living in Rip Off Britain I can't see any over here.Foma 200 is my favourite.
Pete.

turtle
26-Feb-2012, 08:55
The 200 is apparently available in all sizes, but not necessarily as a stock item. 13x18 Foma can be found here (http://www.fotoimpex.de/cgi-bin/shop/de/index.cgi?func=anzeige&wkid=2061534263107415&rub1=Filme&rub2=Schwarzweissfilme%2CPlanfilme%2C5x7%20Inch%20%2F%2013x18%20cm&vendor=&pn=4&sort=0&items=) and I bet they can source the 200 as well. Cheaper than the UK, but not by a mile.

Sal Santamaura
26-Feb-2012, 13:45
...BTW Sal, how are you enjoying whole plate? I ask because I was agonising over 8x10 vs WP and decided I really was more inclined towards WP, but put off by availability issues and holder costs...WP would be my ideal tho. Its such a shame the format was marginalised when it is such a wonderful balance of size and weight etc.I'm enjoying it very much, thanks! While there's no way to compete with the price of "dirt cheap" holders this thread is about, vintage whole plate cameras and holders seem to come up for sale fairly regularly. If one is inclined toward newer equipment, the Chamonix whole plate camera/holders are offered used occasionally and remain a pretty good bargain brand new:

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/6585.html
http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/holders.html

Ramiro Elena
29-Feb-2012, 12:14
Shipping is outrageous. 30GBP for one box...

turtle
29-Feb-2012, 22:15
I cannot see the £30 shipping!?

It is £3.50 for a box of two holders within the UK. They charged me £18 for shipping 25 twin holder boxes...

Michael E
1-Mar-2012, 00:08
I cannot see the £30 shipping!?

I can't see any film holders in their shop. Am I doing something wrong?

Michael

Ramiro Elena
1-Mar-2012, 01:43
If you live outside the UK is £30. I take it you're in the UK, Turtle.
They're still there Michael...

Keith Tapscott.
1-Mar-2012, 04:29
What films are available in the 18cm x 24 cm format?

turtle
1-Mar-2012, 05:04
oh, I see. They were not offering international shipping before so must have changed that.

Keith, films readily available in 18x24 are:

Fp4+ & HP5+
All foma films potentially, but Foma 100 off the shelf
Adox CHS 100 )and 25 I believe).

There are others, but these are the common ones.

Many can be found in the UK, but are appreciably cheaper if imported from Europe, where they are more popular. In the UK there appears to be a premium to reflect limited sales and they cost a few pounds more than 8x10. From Europe, the film is cheaper anyway and the cost is linked to area, so about 15% less than 8x10.

Keith Tapscott.
1-Mar-2012, 05:10
oh, I see. They were not offering international shipping before so must have changed that.

Keith, films readily available in 18x24 are:

Fp4+ & HP5+
All foma films potentially, but Foma 100 off the shelf
Adox CHS 100 )and 25 I believe).

There are others, but these are the common ones.

Many can be found in the UK, but are appreciably cheaper if imported from Europe, where they are more popular. In the UK there appears to be a premium to reflect limited sales and they cost a few pounds more than 8x10. From Europe, the film is cheaper anyway and the cost is linked to area, so bou 15% less than 8x10.Who sells this film-format in the UK and Europe?

Steven Tribe
1-Mar-2012, 09:38
Do a google search with 18x24 Foma Berlin , for instance!

Ramiro Elena
1-Mar-2012, 11:38
You just need to ask them to quote shipping to your country and they'll prepare the auction so you can proceed with the sale.
They added Belgium because somebody asked to buy three boxes.

gliderbee
2-Mar-2012, 05:38
You just need to ask them to quote shipping to your country and they'll prepare the auction so you can proceed with the sale.
They added Belgium because somebody asked to buy three boxes.

Yes, that was me ! I hope to get them next week. They apparently had to think it over a bit: I asked three times before receiving an answer, but from then, it went smooth.

Ramiro Elena
2-Mar-2012, 05:54
:)

I had to ask a couple times too but I am not ready to pay that much for shipping. It defeats the purpose and the name of the thread: Source of NOT Dirt Cheap 18x24cm holders!!!! :D:D:D

turtle
3-Mar-2012, 02:41
I bet if you were to ask them for a combined shipping total for a good number of boxes, the cost per holder would come down. My combined shipping total came down from £90 to £18.

If ten boxes cost £60 shipping (and it might be less), then it comes out at £15 per new holder, which is still exceptional. With 5 boxes, it is £18... still v good for new holders. Try comparing it to the cost of new holders in Europe and tell me if you find anything better ;)

:)

I had to ask a couple times too but I am not ready to pay that much for shipping. It defeats the purpose and the name of the thread....D

Ramiro Elena
3-Mar-2012, 03:20
You are right but I just wanted one box with two holders :)

and I don't mind them being used if in good condition.

Steven Tribe
3-Mar-2012, 12:31
Bowens have a Professional sales organisation, and like many of that sort, they have chosen packing and dispatch system which is as simple as possible. This means that the individual packing (with recycling and cut down boxes) that we private use is not in operation. Similarly, they select trouble free courier services which do push the prices up a bit.
The only real way for real "cheapies" is to get some dedicated individual to buy and collect a couple of dozen directly from Bowens and send on as many that be in a package (under the 2 kilo limit). Which is 1 1/2 packets = 3 holders!

gliderbee
6-Mar-2012, 11:49
Ok, I received mine (three sets of two holders) quite fast, and according to the website of British Post, the shipping cost was normal (these holders are heavier then you would expect). I paid 30 GBP shipping (to Belgium).

The holders themselves are perfect.

Ramiro Elena
6-Mar-2012, 12:00
I was going to have a friend buy a box and ship it to me from the UK and then the listing ended :/

gliderbee
7-Mar-2012, 06:08
It's not too late: I was so happy with the ones I bought, that I contacted them again and asked for more; they have put up the listing again, so I could buy more (and I did).
Now it's gone again, but you might ask them too; just contact them through the ebay system from the old listing.

Stefan.

I was going to have a friend buy a box and ship it to me from the UK and then the listing ended :/

thomas ciulei
8-Mar-2012, 02:20
ordered 4 x 2 yesterday.
they made Germany available for shipping for a couple of hours after i contacted them.
shipping was 33 GBP including 3 pounds fuel surcharge

thanks 4 tip turtle!

Michael E
8-Mar-2012, 14:46
they made Germany available for shipping for a couple of hours after i contacted them.

Actually, that's because I asked them a few days ago. I just got their OK today. :-)

Michael