PDA

View Full Version : Robert Demachy A favorite of mine

John Conway
24-Feb-2012, 21:26
I have always had great respect for Robert Demachy. Today, while looking through one of my photography books, I came across one of his images and decided to search the web and see what I could find. What I found is that I like him more than I ever realized. While searching, many of his images came up that I have not had the pleasure to see before today. Simply beautiful work. I think it is time to get a few Demachy books up on my shelf.

BrianShaw
25-Feb-2012, 18:52
I totally agree. I have one book of his works and find that I return to it periodically for awe and inspiration.

Jim Jones
25-Feb-2012, 19:45
Yes, indeed. Googling just now turned up many prints I had long admired without remembering that they were by Demachy.

Mark Sawyer
25-Feb-2012, 19:53
I agree he was a wonderful photographer who made many masterful images of the Pictorialist era. I can't help but think he was influenced by Degas, maybe because they both returned to ballet dancers, and handled them (aesthetically) in much the same way for some of their memorable images...

John Conway
25-Feb-2012, 21:52
Yeah, the pictorialist era holds a special place in my photographic heart. It was a great time to be a photographer.

John Conway
27-Feb-2012, 17:43
It must have been great working the way they (the pictorialist) did. So much hands on work. Another favorite that comes to mind is Annie Brigman. Such awesome originality.