PDA

View Full Version : Velveteen Screen. Anybody used one?

James Phillips
3-Dec-2003, 06:51
I keep seeing this item pop up on E**Y and was wondering if anybody has purchased a screen like this. If so, would you be able to comment on the product and your level of satisfaction on using this screen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2969529756&category=15248

Kind Regards,

Ed Sandifer
3-Dec-2003, 14:18
http://www.wyomingphotographers.com/Tech%20News.html

James, Here is an online review of the item with a link the to the manufacturer's site. I'm interested in it as well.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey Swenson
3-Dec-2003, 15:15
Seems like from the E-bay item that you are better off buying from the manufacturer directly.

Bob Salomon
3-Dec-2003, 16:58
The item on Ebay is being offered by the manufacturer.

kw
3-Dec-2003, 17:18
I have just ordered this screen to replace my existing one on a 4x5 Tachihara. For initial discussion on this screen, you may like to look into the thread title "Tachihara 4x5 focusing screen".

Christian Olivet
3-Dec-2003, 20:49
I participated in the Tachihara screen thread and brought up the velveteen screen that I have seen in their website. When I saw it on ebay I recoginzed that it was being offered by the manufacturer and bought one. As soon as I have enough to say about this screen I will post.

Darin Cozine
3-Dec-2003, 22:35
The thing that I dont like about this advertisement is that 1: it seems a bit expensive for a ground-glass replacement. and 2: it seems too good to be true. ("used it at f64 and it was still bright and viewable") The website given above is actually an advertisement from the manufacturer. I'd like to see some feedback from some other photographers.

tim atherton
4-Dec-2003, 00:03
"The thing that I dont like about this advertisement is that 1: it seems a bit expensive for a ground-glass replacement."

If it comes close to doing what it claims to do, it's significantly cheaper than most of the competition - bosssreen, beattie intenscreen, maxwell screen etc.

David A. Goldfarb
4-Dec-2003, 06:00
Anyone know what's up with the design of the ULF screens? It looks like they have multiple fresnels ganged up instead of one big one for the whole screen. I'd be curious to know what that does to the viewing experience. On the other hand, the fact that this screen weighs about twice as much as a normal groundglass becomes more of a significant factor as the camera gets larger.