PDA

View Full Version : aperture setting on copal shutter

fralexis
24-Feb-2012, 18:19
I am new to LF. Today I purchased a new lens. It is a 90mm f:8 Ilex-Calumet. It seems to be a really nice lens, but I can't figure out the aperture. I have attached a photograph. The lens is f:8. The shutter aperture markings (copal-0)go down to below 5.6. There are two different aperture markings, one green and one white. The green goes to f:12.

When I open the aperture all the way, the little silver indicator knob goes well below the 5.6. When I close the aperture blades in the shutter until they just touch the circumference of the lens opening it reads 5.6. If I set the knob at f:8, the circumference of the blades is well smaller than the lens opening circumference (not the maximum opening).

So, seeing that I have an f:8 lens, how do the markings on the shutter correlate with actual aperture? When I take a spot meter reading and it says for example 1/250 sec @ f:16, do I set the aperture to f:16 and assume all will be well? This is confusing to me. I would appreciate your guidance!!!

Alexis

Jon Shiu
24-Feb-2012, 18:46
The lens does not match the shutter. The lens cells were switched from another shutter at some point. Take it back and get your money back or get the seller to pay for new aperture scale.

Jon

ic-racer
24-Feb-2012, 19:35
That shutter may be from a Symmar convertible.

cdholden
25-Feb-2012, 01:12
The lens does not match the shutter. The lens cells were switched from another shutter at some point. Take it back and get your money back or get the seller to pay for new aperture scale.

Jon

That shutter may be from a Symmar convertible.

Agreed... on both counts.
S.K. Grimes has the ability to do this easily, and for not a lot of money. They claim, as of about 2 weeks ago, their current backlog of work is 6-8 weeks. I'd get a solid quote before throwing that back to the seller as an option, if you're even interested.