PDA

View Full Version : Astia or Velvia for Milan and Venice?

Tim Meisburger
24-Feb-2012, 01:25
I normally shoot black and white, but we are taking a family holiday to northern Italy this summer, and I think I need to take some color film as well. I can get Astia for $2.50 a sheet delivered, or Velvia for $3.50. I would think Astia would be good for quiet shots of canals, and Velvia might be good by the seaside. I have no idea about Milan and the country around it. Thoughts? Suggestions? I realize its a matter of taste, but hope your input will help me make up my mind. :rolleyes:

Andrea Gazzoni
24-Feb-2012, 04:11
Tim, I live in Milan but normally don't take pictures here, so I can't suggest a film.
It is a very "grey" town, full of business buildings, in the summer the light is often flat and uninteresting as we are at the center of Po Valley.
We have many hazy days here when you can't even see mountains that are no more than 50km far away.
Rare are the summer days when you are lucky to witness good light like the one in the cellphone snapshot attached.
On the other hand August 2011 was a very unusual long period of fresh, windy weather, full of clear skies and very attractive dawn and sunsets, strange cloud formations sometimes.
If you have time, I strongly suggest a short trip in the Alps, it's no more than 2 hours drive from Milan.
Please feel free to contact me for any other info or any help you may need.
Andrea

Tim Meisburger
24-Feb-2012, 04:30
Thank you Andrea. We are going to visit friends in Montevecchia, and they have already suggested we might want to spend some time in the Alps. In that case, if you were shooting in the mountains, would you prefer the more saturated colors of Velvia, or the presumably more realistic colors of the Astia?

SMBooth
24-Feb-2012, 04:34
Provia? A nice compromise

John Brady
24-Feb-2012, 05:57
You might consider color negative film, it would be similar to shooting the b&w you are accustomed to. I shoot lots of Velvia 50 and Astia in 8x10. If you choose to shoot Velvia which is wonderful for bringing color out of softly lit scenes avoid using it in bright contrasty situations. The Astia is a little more tolerant but transparency films don't like harsh light.

If you plan to shoot first and last light of the day go with the Velvia, otherwise find some Fuji pro 160s.

www.timeandlight.com

Andrea Gazzoni
24-Feb-2012, 05:59
I would take Velvia for shooting in the shadow of the woods, like this one taken 2 hours away from Milan.

Montevecchia is such a wonderful place, you will have a great time there!

Tim Meisburger
24-Feb-2012, 06:08
I think the Provia or the 160s would be my choice, if I could find either at a decent price. The problem for me is shipping, which is normally outrageous to Bangkok. Both the Astia (from a private seller in the US, and the Velvia (free shipping from Israel on ebay) are options because of the relatively inexpensive shipping. Shipping from Badger or Freestyle essentially doubles the cost of the film.

If neither of these is the best choice, maybe I should wait and see what is available later, as I have until mid-May or so before I have to buy.

Tim Meisburger
24-Feb-2012, 06:14
Wow Andrea! That's a lovely shot!

I didn't know Montevecchia was nice, I thought it was just a suburb. Maybe I should do a little research...

Okay, now I'm leaning towards Velvia. I shoot so little color film, that I think I tend to go overboard when I do, and want those big, bold colors. The color of the water is exquisite!

anglophone1
24-Feb-2012, 10:02
Italy= Romance=Velvia!