PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Style is installed

Tom Westbrook
23-Feb-2012, 12:03
I added a mobile skin (selected in the lower left of the page). It's just named 'Mobile'. It works OK on my iPhone, but reply here if you have problems with it.

Andrea Gazzoni
23-Feb-2012, 12:52
thank you Tom, here it doesn't work well neither on Nokia E71/Symbian or Iphone 4.
the Mobile skin seems to apply on the home page only, any subforum will open in default style.
On Symbian the default is not readable at all, the page layout is all shattered and nearly every element is misplaced.

Joanna Carter
23-Feb-2012, 13:32
I added a mobile skin (selected in the lower left of the page). It's just named 'Mobile'. It works OK on my iPhone, but reply here if you have problems with it.
Hi Tom

Sorry but the mobile skin doesn't "stick". Every page that you go to reverts to the default style :(

I did persist in following through, resetting the mobile style on every page, in order to reply to this thread. Unfortunately, there is no way I could quote this message and get enough room in the edit box to type a reply. I actually design and write OS X, iPad and iPhone apps for a living and can only day that however the skinning is meant to work, it really is trying to get the proverbial quart in the proverbial pint pot :rolleyes:

I took a quick look at Tapatalk (bearing in mind we were thinking of using it for the UKLFPG forums) and didn't like what I saw, either from the content of the screenshots or the apparent business model.

I think the problem is simply that it is exceedingly difficult to view any type of discussion forum on as small a device as an iPhone and cannot be solved by merely "reskinning". Having said that, until you get to the point of trying to reply, I think the new skin, when it appears, is quite a reasonable compromise :D

Tom Westbrook
23-Feb-2012, 16:04
Got it. I think I need to find a way to default to this style for various mobile devices. We had that mostly figured out in the previous version, so shouldn't be too hard. Might take me a couple of days to solve it, though.

Ivan J. Eberle
25-Feb-2012, 13:11
Whatever mobile skin you had installed on the old forum worked well on my Blackberry Storm II with v.5. OS, but this new one on the upgraded forum doesn't (not as of yesterday afternoon, that is).

Andrea Gazzoni
1-Mar-2012, 04:53
any news on this? I miss reading the forum without using the pc.
thank you

Joanna Carter
1-Mar-2012, 05:05
Hi Tom

Just to let you know that the mobile style is still not "sticking" on navigation to subsequent pages.

Also, trying to edit a reply in the "Quick Reply" is nigh on impossible, especially if you want to quote a post; there simply isn't enough room to get your finger in and to scroll around the quoted text in order to enter your own comments.

If you choose the advanced reply, you lose the mobile style :-(

Regards

Joanna

cjbecker
1-Mar-2012, 09:13
i cant get off of it now. I want to get back to the normal

cjbecker
1-Mar-2012, 09:19
got it.

bigguy88
2-Mar-2012, 01:58
on my android device, it also default to the VB4 Default Style when i surf to a subforum.

Andrea Gazzoni
2-Mar-2012, 03:11
I suspect a Mobile Suite is needed here, not just a skin...
In case this has a cost I'd be more than happy to contribute

Andrea Gazzoni
19-Mar-2012, 13:33
my Nokia E71 enters now a mobile version of this forum, but still it is not very user-friendly:

-too many empty rows, one has to scroll 5 feet to go to bottom of page (if possible make it text only, no gif, buttons, etc...)
-missing link to "last post" in each thread, so one has to start each time from the beginning
-missing multi pages threads, only the first page is shown

thank you
Andrea

Andrea Gazzoni
21-Mar-2012, 00:14
it was just the mobile skin, still missing a mobile version

Ralph Barker
21-Mar-2012, 07:08
Mobile skins are about as good as we can do.

Even then, we're mostly dependent on outside skin developers (not to be confused with skin walkers, or the development of thick skins). ;-)

Andrea Gazzoni
21-Mar-2012, 13:27
I am online on this forum 10% of what I was before the software upgrade.
I realize this may be a golden chance to get my life back ;)

alveena6
5-Jun-2012, 18:34
Got it. I think I need a way to find this default style for a variety of mobile devices to find and fulfill. We were mostly invented in the previous version, it should not be too hard. I could take a few days to resolve it, though.web løsninger (http://www.danskdesign.org)

NickyLai
31-Aug-2012, 10:54
Got it. I think I need a way to find this default style for a variety of mobile devices to find and fulfill. We were mostly invented in the previous version, it should not be too hard. I could take a few days to resolve it, though.web løsninger (http://www.danskdesign.org)

I just checked into this thread and tried it. It works fine with FireFox on my HTC One X. On the first click of the mobile theme, a pop up window suggested to use a Google Play app something like Talxxxx for $2.99. I didn't use that. As it works nice on the default FireFox mobile browser.

Thank you.