PDA

View Full Version : Need scanner for 4X10, 5X7 for website

Brian Vuillemenot
1-Dec-2003, 09:45
I'm looking for a flatbed scanner with a transparency adaptor to scan transparencies for my website. Since I won't be printing the scans, only using them for a website, they don't have to be of top quality. I shoot mainly 4X5, but also 4X10 and 5X7, so I'm looking for one that can scan an area of at least 5X10. Anyone have any suggestions, experiences, or ideas? Thank you!

David A. Goldfarb
1-Dec-2003, 10:36
If you have a SCSI card (or don't mind installing one), old Agfa Duoscans are useful for this purpose and are cheap--usually $150 or less. The most desirable model would be the Duoscan HiD, which has a higher Dmax, but the others (Duoscan, Duoscan T1200, Duoscan T2400) are fine as well, and the interface is one of the better ones out there.

tim atherton
1-Dec-2003, 11:40
or try a similarly aged Umax Powerlook III (make sure it has the transparency adapter). Combine it with Vuescan for software

David F. Stein
1-Dec-2003, 15:13
or try a similarly aged Umax Powerlook III (make sure it has the transparency adapter). Combine it with Vuescan for software

Agreed. With this combo, the scans can be of HIGH QUALITY. This is a professional level scanner with excellent optics. GOOD LUCK .........

j. kelly adams
1-Dec-2003, 19:15
Are there any "older technology" scanners that will work with with a mac and scan up to 5 x 7?

tim atherton
1-Dec-2003, 19:34
either of those mentioned - the Agfa's or the Umax Powerlook III.

One or two of the Agfa models aside, the Powerlook is probably the better scanner - it's actually pretty good for 4x5 and 8x10 film.

I picked one up on ebay for under $200.00. Just saw one for $127 And I recently saw powerlook 1100 that went for $305 and another that went for $200

jnantz
2-Dec-2003, 07:16
i bought an acer scanner from someone recently - it scans upto 5x7 (film) and it works really well with my mac & vuescan. i think i paid $60 + shipping ( vuescan wasn't included). you might be able to find an acer that will do 8x10. it isn't a drum scanner, but it works pretty well just the same -

-john

Darin Cozine
3-Dec-2003, 12:34
Heres one going dirt cheap right now: ebay item # 2769052268 6 hours left. umax alpha vista powerlook.

QT Luong
3-Dec-2003, 15:18
Acer was the only company that produced a 8x10 scanner with 5x7 transparency adaptor. They are now Benq and don't make them anymore last time I checked. I once picked up one of their scanners at Office Depot on sale for $60 (or was it $30 ?) and I was able to make a 11x17 which on my inkjet was undistinguishable from one made with a drum scan. Unfortunately, it went kaput.

Jerry Greer
6-Dec-2003, 15:16
Brian,

I have an Acer ScanPremio ST running SilverFast Ai for sale (with SCSI card). This was their pre-press scanner and is built that way, like a tank. It will scan up to 8x10" trans/negs. If you have an interest contact me direct.

www.jerrygreerphotography.com