PDA

View Full Version : Price and Performance of 12" Paragon

Arthur Nichols
1-Dec-2003, 07:31
I am looking for information regarding the performanence of a 12" Ilex Paragon lens and what kind of price is appropriate for one in a well functioning #4 Ilex. I will using it primarily on my 8x10 but will sometimes use it as a longer lens for both 4x5 and 5x7. Thanks Art Nichols

John Kasaian
1-Dec-2003, 08:27
Arthur,

Ilexs use of "Paragon" like Kodak's "Ektar" was a monicker app;ied to many Ilex lenses and not a specific "formula" like a double gnauss, dagor or dialyte. Many paragons weren't intended as taking lenses, but rather for the graphic arts trade, but then some were. The Paragons intended as "taking" lenses were, I think tessars and are still being manufactures for LF by Osaka(sp?)as the Gongo and Nikkor's well respected M. Uncoated ones can be expected be less contrasty than coated versions, and the f6.3 lenses can be expected to have larger image circles with the image being sharper at the edges than the f4.5 versions. If the glass is in good condition and the shutter works(I have no experience with Acmes, but I've got several Universals that I get along fine with) you should have a very capable lens. Others have made fine images with Paragons, theres no reason why you couldn't do as well.

John Kasaian
1-Dec-2003, 20:25
Arthur,

Some thoughts on price---I think that would depend on the condition of the lens. Very light cleaning marks on the front element can be expected on older lenses, but deep scratches, chips, or fungus really justifies a substantially lower price, just as age can effect the price going in the other direction. FWIW I wouldn't mess with a problem Paragon---there are too many good ones out there, as well as competitors from Wollensak and Kodak to justify it. Later Ilex examples, produced when american companies like Ilex and Wollensak were going toe to toe with Schneider and Rodenstock in the 60's and 70's really produced some exceptional lenses with excellent coating and exceptional quality control. I suspect Ilex and Wollensak lost the market because of price, not because of inferior optics. As a SWAG estimate, I wouldn't expect to pay more than $200-300 for a 12" Paragon. An old f4.5 closer to $200 while a coated f6.3 closer to $300. If the shutter needs a cla, take 60 buck off that. To put it into perspective, for approx $400-450 you ought to be able to find a 12" Commercial Ektar in excellent condition, which IMHO is a very desireable lens(especially for color) or for around $250 +or-, an uncoated Wollensak Triple Convertible which is also a very desireable lens offering much better performance than what convertible lenses are usually given credit for. I hope this helps!

Arthur Nichols
2-Dec-2003, 14:30
Thanks for the answers, espcially to John, it helped me to make a decision on a purchase. Art