PDA

View Full Version : hair line in FP4

Songyun
20-Feb-2012, 21:27
I have developed recent a batch of fp4 (not arista 125). 3~ 4 sheets/ out of 8 sheets have a straight line on the negative. It is just in the middle of the frame. It doesn't start from edge to edge. after a careful inspection, I dont believe the films are scratched. Does anyone have similar experience with ilford film.

Leigh
20-Feb-2012, 21:40
What format?

I shoot FP4+ in 8x10 (occasionally 4x5 but not recently) and have not seen any similar problems.

- Leigh

Songyun
20-Feb-2012, 21:49
4x5, see the attached photos. The black line in the photos which correspond to the transparent line on the negative.

I don't use to pay much attention, coz sometimes the emulsion side might get scratched.

This time I processed the photos very carefully. And inspected the emulsion side, no scratches at all.

false_Aesthetic
21-Feb-2012, 13:24
exact same place on all negs or roughly the same place?

my guess would be darkslide

SpeedGraphicMan
21-Feb-2012, 13:47
exact same place on all negs or roughly the same place?

my guess would be darkslide

I will agree it sound like the darkslide, film may have bulged outward and came into contact.

OR, you might have a tiny-tiny hairline crack in the darkslide itself? I.E. Light Leak?

How are you developing them? If you are tray processing them that might be why.

Scott Walker
21-Feb-2012, 13:48
I have developed recent a batch of fp4 (not arista 125). 3~ 4 sheets/ out of 8 sheets have a straight line on the negative. It is just in the middle of the frame. It doesn't start from edge to edge. after a careful inspection, I dont believe the films are scratched. Does anyone have similar experience with ilford film.

I have never had a problem with Ilford film but I had a similar issue with a batch of T-Max 4x5 once about 20 years ago. It was only 2 or 3 sheets out of a box of 25. I never did figure out what caused it but I was certain it was not a scratch on the surface of the emulsion.

Songyun
21-Feb-2012, 14:09
It was roughly the same place, 2 sheets has one line, the other sheet has two lines. I was using Fuji Quickchange, i dont think it is a problem of darkslides. The scan about is a positive image. So no matter what, it shouldn't be light leak. The film is developed in Jobo 3010.