PDA

View Full Version : Type 79 Green Only

Paul Kierstead
29-Nov-2003, 11:51
Just tried some Type 79. It is monochromatic; green only. Exposure is essentially OK, just only got green. F32 @ 1/2s. Reciprocity graph looks like there may be some color shift, but this is really severe with no evidence of any other color. It was developed (and shot) at room temp.

Anybody have any ideas what has happened here? The holder has been used with type 55 (successfully) and both chemical packets appear to have been popped correctly.

wfwhitaker
29-Nov-2003, 12:40
Paul,

Forgive my asking, but was there by any chance a green filter on the lens?

Regards,

Paul Kierstead
29-Nov-2003, 12:45
Heh, no green filter. I don't -- in fact -- currently have any way to actually mount a filter on the lens.

wfwhitaker
29-Nov-2003, 13:37
Sorry Paul; had to eliminate the obvious. If it happens with more than one exposure, I'd call Polaroid.

Best,

Tracy Storer
29-Nov-2003, 14:32
What was your light source and how long did you process? Film fresh or short/out of date? With your half second exposure you shouldn't have gotten into much color shift-but it will happen with longer exposures.(more than a couple seconds) Any chance you could pop up a low res. scan?

Bill Jefferson
29-Nov-2003, 16:20
Paul,

I sentu a private e=mail concerning the green film. One question were you shooting under flouresent lights? they will flip the film green.

Bill Jefferson

Ted Harris
29-Nov-2003, 22:21
Another wacko possibility, are you sure it was T79 and not T59? T59 will go toward green and get greener and greener at speeds slower than 1/125.

Paul Kierstead
29-Nov-2003, 23:08
Let see...I obviously should have given more details :)

Box says type 79, sleeves say Polacolor Pro 100 Best before date is Nov 04 Shot was outdoors (although I was indoors, but shooting though a open patio door...don't ask ... OK, trying to get a feel for snowstorm exposure before I headed out and also to give type 79 a swing). Processing was 120 seconds, temp was 20 degrees C. I did 2 exposures, same result with both.

I will see if I can get my butt into gear enough to scan one of them.

Paul Kierstead
30-Nov-2003, 14:08
A reasonably representative scan (far from perfect): http://homepage.mac.com/paulkierstead/tmp/greenT79.jpg

Please excuse the subject matter :)

The house in the background is very brown.

I am pretty sure I am doing something wrong or vastly underestimating the reprocity effects; I had another box, different vendor, different batch (probably, Oct 04 expiry this time) and basically the same problem. Perhaps I should try an exposure with strobes.

David A. Goldfarb
30-Nov-2003, 16:07
Try under different lighting conditions. If it was cloudy outside, you could have had some excess blue, and then maybe a long exposure could cause reciprocity problems.

Paul Kierstead
30-Nov-2003, 21:50
The scene was definitely quite blue.

OK, so I collected up some random brightly colored objects from around the house, set up a couple of strobes, and shot it. Everything came out pretty much with correct color. So it would appear to reciprocity failure, with everything, particularly blue, shifting towards green. The reciprocity graph is given in log exposure and I am don't really know how to interpret it. For example, the blue curve is considerably higher. Does this mean it need more exposure (i.e will be dark) or that is gets more exposure (i.e. will be lighter). The latter would indicate a shift towards blue, the former a shift towards red/green. A red filter is recommended for longer exposures, why not yellow?

Anybody else ever use this film with available light and longer (i.e. 1/2s) exposures?

I wish I had some idea of what I was doing :) Anyway, it appears the film is fine, just behaves oddly and is really designed for strobes considering the typical apertures used in LF unless you are in very bright sunlight.