PDA

View Full Version : Forum Upgrade

Tom Westbrook
17-Feb-2012, 13:31
The upgrade of the Forum seems to have been successful. There may be some remaining problems since not everything from the old version was carried forward with the new version. Post comments, bug reports, &/or wish list items in this thread.

Important: You should clear your Forum cookies by clicking the 'Log Out' link, then logging back in again or by deleting our site cookies manually in your browser settings. You might have problems until you do that.

Thanks.

taulen
18-Feb-2012, 13:21
Woho its back early !!! Thanks

Thebes
18-Feb-2012, 14:02
Just an fyi for the mods, ,my firefox browser under ubuntu cleared the authentication on its own.
Congrats on the upgrade completed ahead of schedule.

Tom Westbrook
18-Feb-2012, 14:39
Another thing: Tapatalk users having problems might need to delete and re-add the Forum in their apps: the Tapatalk version was also updated.

William Whitaker
18-Feb-2012, 14:43
It looks like the ability to change the "look" or "skin" or whatever it's called is gone. I think what I was using was called "simple", but I can't find it.

Tom Westbrook
18-Feb-2012, 14:46
Yes, the other "styles" we're not compatible with the new version. If I find replacements I'll install them & post an announcement.

Jeffrey Sipress
18-Feb-2012, 14:55
Unfortunately, this new software requires a font size of 12 pt or smaller in order to properly format the page. This is absurd. In order to get the page formatted so all the text is visible, it's too small to read comfortably! Try going to 'New Posts' and upping the text size to anything decent. Then you can't see the text in the right column that says what forum a message is within. Like many people over 50 (or more) I have my browser set to display type no smaller than 16 or 18. It works fine on hundreds of sites I visit, but not this v-bulliten package. ALL v-bulliten sites are this way. I wonder if the mods or webmaster at LFP can set some better defaults for rendering the pages. Im using Safari on a highend Mac system like many of us.

MIke Sherck
18-Feb-2012, 15:03
Works great in Opera 11.61 under Windows, Opera on Ubuntu Linux is good, too.

Mike

Tom Westbrook
18-Feb-2012, 15:08
Got it. Bruce Watson complained about that problem, too. I don't have a Mac but I'll see if there is something out there that might help.

Can you post a screen capture of what it currently looks like using a comfortable font size?

Unfortunately, this new software requires a font size of 12 pt or smaller in order to properly format the page. This is absurd. In order to get the page formatted so all the text is visible, it's too small to read comfortably! Try going to 'New Posts' and upping the text size to anything decent. Then you can't see the text in the right column that says what forum a message is within. Like many people over 50 (or more) I have my browser set to display type no smaller than 16 or 18. It works fine on hundreds of sites I visit, but not this v-bulliten package. ALL v-bulliten sites are this way. I wonder if the mods or webmaster at LFP can set some better defaults for rendering the pages. Im using Safari on a highend Mac system like many of us.

BrianShaw
18-Feb-2012, 15:26
Welcome back!

Darin Boville
18-Feb-2012, 17:01
Small suggestion: The "How full is my PM inbox" indicator is now way down at the bottom of the page. Very hard to see there but very important to those of us who do a lot of PMing. Is there a way to put it back at the top so it is readily visible?

Thanks,

--Darin

MIke Sherck
18-Feb-2012, 17:24
It seems mostly all right on my Android phone except for tapping on thumbnails to enlarge. The enlarged image is placed in the lower right corner of the display with about 3/4 hidden 'off screen' to the right and bottom. You can pull the image onto your screen bit as soon as you lift your finger it snaps back down to the corner again, like it's held by a rubber band. Also, text entry doesn't wrap to the phone's display - it wraps to a much longer line. As an example on my HTC Thunderbolt, this entry is only six lines long.
Reading a post, however, wraps properly.and resizes correctly even when you enlarge the page.

Sal Santamaura
18-Feb-2012, 17:24
Two inputs:

Instead of the red view camera (which still appears for the home page), the forum bookmark and page url icons are now a stylized "v" for vBulletin. Probably needs manual intervention to correct.
Whatever the incompatibility was with IE9 that rendered a search of the previous 30 days' posts non-functional, this upgrade hasn't fixed it. I abandoned IE9 a while ago and find everything still working just fine in Firefox 10.0.2, so no problem for me, but thought you'd like to know. :)

zachary12
18-Feb-2012, 17:40
Yeah I cleared my cache and the fav icon is the vBulletin default for me too.

Nice job though, looks schmick.

jon.oman
18-Feb-2012, 17:46
IE9 under Win7 Pro 64 bit now works with 'New Posts', but still does not work with 'Unified View', at least for me. Since I normally use 'New Posts', that's not a problem!

MIke Sherck
18-Feb-2012, 19:39
Works well on my daughter's HP Touchpad, too!

Mike

Jon Shiu
18-Feb-2012, 19:39
The forum post titles are appearing in blue. How do I switched them to black, which is much easier for me to read. (IE9)
Jon

Jeffrey Sipress
18-Feb-2012, 19:51
Thanks, Tom. Here's a screenshot:

http://machinearts.com/otherpics/lfp-sample.jpg

Preston
18-Feb-2012, 20:47
Just curious, but under my posting permissions it says "You may not post new threads"

I logged out and logged back in. No change.

Was I a bad boy, or something? :-)

--P

Tom Westbrook
18-Feb-2012, 21:38
If you saw that while viewing the News section where this thread is, that's because only moderators can start threads in News. You should be ok elsewhere.

Just curious, but under my posting permissions it says "You may not post new threads"

I logged out and logged back in. No change.

Was I a bad boy, or something? :-)

--P

Preston
18-Feb-2012, 22:05
Thanks, Tom. I checked, and it's all good.

Great job with the upgrade! I appreciate your efforts!

--P

Frank Petronio
18-Feb-2012, 23:09
Looks good here on OSX Lion Safari and thanks for doing the upgrade, lots of improvements I can see... good luck with the bugs!

Tom Westbrook
19-Feb-2012, 06:19
One problem Kirk found is that members who entered their web site in their user profile will need to re-enter them. I hadn't noticed that this field got dropped in the upgrade, but I added a replacement.

jp
19-Feb-2012, 06:37
Seems to look and work fine. Thanks!

One little thing, the favicon file didn't seem to make it to the new software. I get a V instead of a LF camera for the bookmark icon.

edp
19-Feb-2012, 07:18
The favicon works fine from where I am sitting.

I am going to miss the black-and-white forum theme, which looks a whole lot more like work when somebody sees it over my shoulder than the icons-everywhere blue and grey theme does.

Harley Goldman
19-Feb-2012, 07:59
Looks good, gents!! Your hard work on keeping the forum up to date is VERY, VERY much appreciated!!!!!

Harley

J.B. Harlin
19-Feb-2012, 08:43
Works fine here. I miss the Simple Skin that was monochrome though. . .

John NYC
19-Feb-2012, 08:55
Everything is working great on the iPad as well.

Thanks so much for bringing the software up to date!!!

edp
19-Feb-2012, 10:02
Works fine here. I miss the Simple Skin that was monochrome though. . .

The Simple skin, that's the one.

Ralph Barker
19-Feb-2012, 11:28
Two inputs:

Instead of the red view camera (which still appears for the home page), the forum bookmark and page url icons are now a stylized "v" for vBulletin. Probably needs manual intervention to correct.
Whatever the incompatibility was with IE9 that rendered a search of the previous 30 days' posts non-functional, this upgrade hasn't fixed it. I abandoned IE9 a while ago and find everything still working just fine in Firefox 10.0.2, so no problem for me, but thought you'd like to know. :)

Have you tried manually clearing your LFPF cookies in IE9, Sal? Doing so seems to clear some of the issues that other members were having with the new version of vB.

Leigh
19-Feb-2012, 11:34
Something got lost in the translation...

With the prior version, when you received an email notification of a reply to a thread you were watching,
that email contained the text of the reply, so you didn't have to access the thread to read it.

In the new version, the email notification no longer contains the reply text. This is a major inconvenience.

- Leigh

tgtaylor
19-Feb-2012, 11:35
When posting a reply a few minutes ago the writer kept scrolling back up when I paused for a moment. I had to open a word processor app on my machine and paste it in.

Thomas

Brian Ellis
19-Feb-2012, 11:49
When clicking the "back" arrow to return to the previous page I now get that very annoying message asking me to confirm that I want to leave the page I'm on before I can go back. A few other sites also have that "feature," which I've always thought was not just inconvenient but stupid since I wouldn't have clicked the "back" arrow if I didn't want to leave the page. Is there any way to eliminate that message and just let me go back when I click the "back" arrow (or is there some advantage to the confirmation request that I'm missing?)

Other than that everything works fine and looks great. Thanks for all your effort.

Roger Cole
19-Feb-2012, 11:59

I have my default set to 16. I'm not sure what size it's displaying but it looks fine. I wear progressive lenses but use my dedicated reading glasses for the computer because I sit fairly close and it's better than reading the screen by constantly peering through the bottom.

On most (at least on Firefox and IE for a few versions now) browsers you can magnify the page by holding down the CTRL key and using the mouse scroll wheel. I do this pretty often when viewing images. You can leave it at the smaller font and magnify, though you'll have to scroll horizontally. Not a final solution but it might help you out in the short term. To re-set the magnification to normal, CTRL-0.

Roger Cole
19-Feb-2012, 11:59
Seems to work fine for me in Firefox. Don't care for the new colors/look but honestly that's just me. Once I get used to something I don't like changes if I don't see a reason for them and there was nothing wrong with the old look. I'm sure I'll adapt. :)

Haven't tried it in Tapatalk yet.

Sal Santamaura
19-Feb-2012, 14:06
Have you tried manually clearing your LFPF cookies in IE9, Sal? Doing so seems to clear some of the issues that other members were having with the new version of vB.Yes Ralph, all LFPF cookies manually cleared first. No change in the IE9 incompatibility -- same behavior with vBulletin 4.1.10 as before.

lenser
19-Feb-2012, 16:19
One thing I never liked on the site was how difficult is was to see what thread I just visited as the color was only slightly softer that the bold heading. Now, I can't see anything that indicates this and with the overall changes, the threads all blend into each other visually anyway since the tones are so bland. How about considering a slightly increased space between threads (just a mm or two to define and separate each better) and then, when you open a thread, a switch to a much different color either on the heading or the last page numeral to indicate very visually that you have already opened that particular thread in the current visit to the site.

Also, what is the meaning of the envelopes to the side and difference in colors? I don't seem to fine any reference to explain this.

jp
19-Feb-2012, 16:21
Seems to look and work fine. Thanks!

One little thing, the favicon file didn't seem to make it to the new software. I get a V instead of a LF camera for the bookmark icon.

seems fine now. I had to force it to reload.

Frank Petronio
19-Feb-2012, 16:23
Might want to redo the logo for the this site as a PNG with a transparent background so the background color shows through - it looks awkward in most situations. Some denser type, not in red and blue, would look better too.

If you want to send me higher res original art and determine one person to make approvals, I'll be glad to tackle it for you. I just won't do work with committees or democracies....

Eric Rose
19-Feb-2012, 17:10
Anyone using IE9, or any IE version actually, shouldn't complain. Just move on to a REAL web browser :p

Jerry Bodine
19-Feb-2012, 17:51
Anyone using IE9, or any IE version actually, shouldn't complain. Just move on to a REAL web browser :p

As soon as I got IE9, it didn't work with this forum. I immediately switched to Firefox ... problem solved, and it's still working fine. I've never gone back to IE9 for anything.

Michael Clark
19-Feb-2012, 19:09
I see some changes, now Frank is blowing his nose. At least he is using his hankie.

Mike

Brian C. Miller
19-Feb-2012, 19:50
When posting a "quick reply" the software asks, "do you want to navigate away from this page?" Like I have a choice?

Leigh
19-Feb-2012, 20:02
This was posted using Quick Reply, and I see no such question box.

- Leigh

Frank Petronio
19-Feb-2012, 20:07
I see some changes, now Frank is blowing his nose. At least he is using his hankie.

Mike

I am holding my nose!

rdenney
19-Feb-2012, 20:12
The new attachments interface is excellent! We can now manage the library of all the images we have uploaded in the past, it would seem.

Rick "still getting used to things" Denney

Leigh
19-Feb-2012, 20:13
I am holding my nose!
Awwww... C'mon, Frank... Your models aren't that bad. :p

Your recent offerings are actually quite nice.

- Leigh

Bill_1856
19-Feb-2012, 20:32
The "Unified View" now works for me. It was a PITA before. Thanks.

Wayne
19-Feb-2012, 21:22
I use Firfefox and miss the red view camera thingie. It stood out in my bookmarks, now it doesn't.

Richard Rankin
19-Feb-2012, 21:34
Something got lost in the translation...

With the prior version, when you received an email notification of a reply to a thread you were watching,
that email contained the text of the reply, so you didn't have to access the thread to read it.

In the new version, the email notification no longer contains the reply text. This is a major inconvenience.

- Leigh

I never got that on LFPF, just a link as it is now. APUG sends the message text, so I imagine LFPF could as well if the mods set it that way. It's much niocer to get the message text.

Richard

Keith Pitman
19-Feb-2012, 22:03
The ability to sequence through pictures is a very welcome improvement, as well as the ability to use a Ipad in native form. Thanks Tom.

Leigh
19-Feb-2012, 22:22
I never got that on LFPF, just a link as it is now.
Interesting. I wonder if it's in the user settings somewhere.

I checked my email archives before I posted that to verify that the text was present in some notifications I had saved.

- Leigh

Roger Cole
19-Feb-2012, 23:00
I use Firfefox and miss the red view camera thingie. It stood out in my bookmarks, now it doesn't.

Delete your bookmark then bookmark it again. That's what I did and the view camera us back. The generic V was loaded while the forum was down and apparently it won't fix itself. Just bookmark it again.

Sal Santamaura
19-Feb-2012, 23:31
Delete your bookmark then bookmark it again. That's what I did and the view camera us back. The generic V was loaded while the forum was down and apparently it won't fix itself. Just bookmark it again.Tried that with no change. Still the "V." I'm running Firefox too.

Leigh
19-Feb-2012, 23:52
Running Firefox here. I tried to access LFPF a couple of times while it was down, then numerous times after it returned.

Always had the red camera in the tab; never anything else. Did not clear cookies or change the bookmark.

- Leigh

Andrea Gazzoni
20-Feb-2012, 01:14
any chance to have a mobile version for Symbian like the previous forum?
I am reading it on my smartphone, but since the upgrade I am no more able to see a mobile version.
thank you

tangyimail
20-Feb-2012, 04:21
Welcome back, takes some getting used to though, the new interface

tangyimail
20-Feb-2012, 04:22
Welcome back, takes some getting used to though, the new interface

John NYC
20-Feb-2012, 07:31
Good grief! I can't believe all the whining about the cosmetics of the new UI. It is really not THAT different.

David Karp
20-Feb-2012, 09:25
Seems to be working fine on Firefox 10.0.2. Thanks for the efforts.

Ralph Barker
20-Feb-2012, 09:43
When clicking the "back" arrow to return to the previous page I now get that very annoying message asking me to confirm that I want to leave the page I'm on before I can go back. A few other sites also have that "feature," which I've always thought was not just inconvenient but stupid since I wouldn't have clicked the "back" arrow if I didn't want to leave the page. Is there any way to eliminate that message and just let me go back when I click the "back" arrow (or is there some advantage to the confirmation request that I'm missing?)

Other than that everything works fine and looks great. Thanks for all your effort.

What browser and platform are you using, Brian. I'm not seeing that behavior with Firefox 10.0.2 on Win 7.

Tom Westbrook
20-Feb-2012, 09:54
What browser and platform are you using, Brian. I'm not seeing that behavior with Firefox 10.0.2 on Win 7.

I only get it if I typed something into the Reply window. I think it's just being sure you want to abandon a post in progress.

tgtaylor
20-Feb-2012, 10:38
When posting a reply a few minutes ago the writer kept scrolling back up when I paused for a moment. I had to open a word processor app on my machine and paste it in.

Thomas

Same problem again last night.

Roger Cole
20-Feb-2012, 10:55
Tried that with no change. Still the "V." I'm running Firefox too.

Oh well then, that's what worked for me. Was worth a shot.

Running Firefox here. I tried to access LFPF a couple of times while it was down, then numerous times after it returned.

Always had the red camera in the tab; never anything else. Did not clear cookies or change the bookmark.

- Leigh

Mine went away. When I went to the forum link (to see if it was back up) while the forum was down I got the V icon, and it replaced the view camera in my bookmarks. It remained after the forum came back. I deleted the bookmark and bookmarked it again, and the view camera is back.

I am running an OLD version of Firefox, though - so I can continue running FfVb which the developer stopped supporting in newer versions.

Brian Ellis
20-Feb-2012, 11:03

Hi Ralph - I use Firefox. I'm not sure of the version but I always upgrade when they say there's an upgrade available so I assume it's the latest version. If it's critical I'll look around and find the version number. I'm on Windows Vista.

As an example of what I get, while typing this message and before sending it, I clicked on the "back" arrow in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. When I did so I got the following message: "This page is asking you to confirm that you want to leave - data you entered may not be saved." I then am given the choices of "Leave Page" or "Stay on Page." I get the same message if I click on the red "x" in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. However, since sending my original message I've now played around with the "back" button a little more and I see that I get this "confirm that you want to leave the page" stuff only after I start to type a reply but leave without posting it. It doesn't seem to happen when simply browsing messages without a reply being involved or even when a reply has actually been posted, only when a reply is prepared but then not sent. So maybe it isn't something worth bothering with.

Thanks for responding.

Roger Cole
20-Feb-2012, 11:59
Yes, it will warn you IF you have typed text without submitting it and then hit back. I like, REALLY like, this change. I type very quickly and too often accidentally hit some key combination I didn't mean to hit. More than once I've typed a response then in mid blazing away typing accidentally hit some key combination that was interpreted as "back" and BOOM! my post was all gone. If you don't type anything it doesn't do it, and if you DO type it and submit it, again nothing. The only time you will see this is if you type something then change your mind (or accidentally hit back as I am occasionally prone to do) and then it's just a "you sure you want to do that?" I'm glad to have the chance to "oh crap! Nope, hit that accidentally!" and not lose my post.

Leigh
20-Feb-2012, 13:05
Instead of the red view camera (which still appears for the home page), the forum bookmark and page url icons are now a stylized "v" for vBulletin.
I just found by accident that this varies with the skin selection (in the drop-down box at lower-left of every LFPF page).

Some of the skins show the familiar LFPF logo with the camera, while others show a default vBulletin logo.

- Leigh

Roger Cole
20-Feb-2012, 13:15
You mean different browser skins, or are different skins available in the forum?

Wayne
20-Feb-2012, 14:19
I'm using the blackend skin at the moment (found in drop down menu at lower left Roger) and now the red view camera is back.

Roger Cole
20-Feb-2012, 14:52
Thanks Wayne. Blackend is dramatic but, to my eye, kind of garish and hard to read on this monitor. All the others are better than the default. I've set to gray now, pretty easy on the eyes.

Ralph Barker
20-Feb-2012, 15:09
Hi Ralph - I use Firefox. I'm not sure of the version but I always upgrade when they say there's an upgrade available so I assume it's the latest version. If it's critical I'll look around and find the version number. I'm on Windows Vista.

As an example of what I get, while typing this message and before sending it, I clicked on the "back" arrow in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. When I did so I got the following message: "This page is asking you to confirm that you want to leave - data you entered may not be saved." I then am given the choices of "Leave Page" or "Stay on Page." I get the same message if I click on the red "x" in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. However, since sending my original message I've now played around with the "back" button a little more and I see that I get this "confirm that you want to leave the page" stuff only after I start to type a reply but leave without posting it. It doesn't seem to happen when simply browsing messages without a reply being involved or even when a reply has actually been posted, only when a reply is prepared but then not sent. So maybe it isn't something worth bothering with.

Thanks for responding.

Yep, it's just trying to be polite by warning you that you are about to lose the uncompleted reply.

Ivan J. Eberle
20-Feb-2012, 16:17
Can't seem to get my Blackberry Storm II to read the new forum in anything but squeezed-down full-scale mode... can anybody tell me what to do to in order to force the mobile version?

Leigh
20-Feb-2012, 16:22
Yep, it's just trying to be polite by warning you that you are about to lose the uncompleted reply.
I've gotten that a couple of times when I tried to post a Quick Reply, not when using the back button.

It happened again on this reply. The scenario was:
Click on Reply With Quote.
Compose reply.
Click on Post Quick Reply.

Up pops this window asking whether I want to navigate away from the page.
Firefox on Mac Snow Leopard.

IIRC I've only seen that box when I use Reply With Quote, never when I just do a Quick Reply without a quote.

- Leigh

Tom Westbrook
20-Feb-2012, 16:38
Try the Tapatalk app: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/46654/?lang=en. It costs $3, but is a very good app (I've only used the iPhone version, though).

Ivan J. Eberle
20-Feb-2012, 16:42
Are you saying, Tom, that the new forum requires TapTalk? Older LFF version showed up as a mobile version just fine without it.

Tom Westbrook
20-Feb-2012, 17:07
Are you saying, Tom, that the new forum requires TapTalk? Older LFF version showed up as a mobile version just fine without it.

At the moment, yes, until we can find and install a mobile skin that works. Might take a few days.

dperez
21-Feb-2012, 08:35
To all the moderators and those of you who work in the background to make this forum what it is... Thanks! I appreciate what you people do. The update looks great.

-DP

Ralph Barker
21-Feb-2012, 09:51
I've gotten that a couple of times when I tried to post a Quick Reply, not when using the back button.

Compose reply.

Firefox on Mac Snow Leopard.

IIRC I've only seen that box when I use Reply With Quote, never when I just do a Quick Reply without a quote.

- Leigh

Interesting. Sounds like it might be a bug in this version. I'm trying the reply-with-quote now, using Firefox 10.0.2 on Win 7, to see if I get the same message.

[edit] Nope, no message. May be an issue with regard to the white spots on the snow leopard. ;)

Preston
21-Feb-2012, 10:10
Compose reply.

The same thing happened to me last night using IE9 on Win-7, Ralph. It's only happened once.

--P

Kirk Gittings
21-Feb-2012, 10:33
anyone having trouble with the alternative skins today? I get a skinless garbage with anything but the default today.

Brian C. Miller
21-Feb-2012, 10:38
Blue-grey and Charcoal seem to have a CSS problem. The others look OK to me.

Scott Walker
21-Feb-2012, 10:39
anyone having trouble with the alternative skins today? I get a skinless garbage with anything but the default today.

I tried changing from the default style to charcoal and that was the end of this site for about 15 minutes. Had to reboot, delete history, cookies, etc. 3 times in order to get to a point where I could get the browser to allow me to go back to the vB4 Default Style.
Running IE 8
Version 8.0.6001.18702

Kirk Gittings
21-Feb-2012, 10:43
Same here.

Leigh
21-Feb-2012, 10:51
anyone having trouble with the alternative skins today?
Nope. I'm running Pumpkin and it's working fine. :D

- Leigh

rdenney
21-Feb-2012, 11:03

When I navigated away from an unfinished reply, I got the warning, but had only typed one sentence and figured I could type it again. But when I came back to a new reply box, the "restore saved version" (or something like that) button appeared, and when clicked, restored what I'd type to the most recent auto-saved version. Auto-saving is a new and nice feature of this version, and I suspect I'll need it more. I don't know when the restoration is available or how, but it wasn't there at all before.

Rick "wondering why people can't read the default skin, which seems perfectly clear" Denney

Ben Hopson
21-Feb-2012, 11:11
I also lost the forum for a while after selecting Charcoal.

Ben

Peter Gomena
21-Feb-2012, 23:32
Me, too. It's annoying. Mac OS 10.6.8.

Peter Gomena

Kirk Gittings
22-Feb-2012, 00:02
I had some problems this morning on both my Apple laptop (10.7) and my Dell desktop (W7) with the skins but it cleared up after an hour or so. I have no idea what was going on.

Roger Cole
22-Feb-2012, 02:10
No problems setting any style, including charcoal.

I did notice that it seems to save your style by cookie, not your user account, so when you change computers it reverts to default. Not a big deal though.

uavplane
23-Feb-2012, 22:12
Accidentally tried using the mobile theme and there is no way to revert.

uavplane
23-Feb-2012, 22:20
I need help, I cannot revert back to the original theme and in mobile theme, none of the features such as personal settings or private messaging is accessible.

Ralph Barker
24-Feb-2012, 07:36
I need help, I cannot revert back to the original theme and in mobile theme, none of the features such as personal settings or private messaging is accessible.

I switched you back to the forum default.

Sal Santamaura
25-Feb-2012, 21:17
Update: Based on nothing I've done ( probably a result of Tom's troubleshooting :) ), both the URL and bookmark icons are now back to our little red view camera in Firefox.

IE9 still doesn't work and I still don't care.

Roger Cole
1-Mar-2012, 04:28
Excuse me if this has been covered before, but why do image attachments now show up as only links with no thumbnail? I'm on several vBulletin sites and no others do this. Seems a huge step back to me.

EDIT: I just realized they show up as thumbnails on Tapatalk on my iPhone but not on my PC. Is this a setting in my profile somewhere?

EDIT II: I found the setting, but it was set to show images. I turned it off and back on with no change. I tried changing the view style, no change.

EDIT III: I tried it in IE (8) instead of my usual Firefox, with the same result. So it must be something in my profile or settings and not the browser, I'd think.

Help, how do I see thumbnails of attached images again??

Tom Westbrook
1-Mar-2012, 04:39
Sorry, should be fixed now.

Excuse me if this has been covered before, but why do image attachments now show up as only links with no thumbnail? I'm on several vBulletin sites and no others do this. Seems a huge step back to me.

EDIT: I just realized they show up as thumbnails on Tapatalk on my iPhone but not on my PC. Is this a setting in my profile somewhere?

EDIT II: I found the setting, but it was set to show images. I turned it off and back on with no change. I tried changing the view style, no change.

EDIT III: I tried it in IE (8) instead of my usual Firefox, with the same result. So it must be something in my profile or settings and not the browser, I'd think.

Help, how do I see thumbnails of attached images again??

Roger Cole
1-Mar-2012, 04:41
Yep, sure is! Thanks Tom!

Leigh
3-Mar-2012, 16:34
I never got that [full text of reply in the email notification] on LFPF, just a link as it is now. APUG sends the message text, so I imagine LFPF could as well if the mods set it that way. It's much nicer to get the message text.
Here's the complete text of an email I received before the s/w upgrade:

========== quoted text follows ============
Dear Leigh,

Robert Brummitt has just created a new thread titled - 8x10 Film holders - in the For Sale/Wanted forum of Large Format Photography Forum, which you have subscribed to.

This thread is located at:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?p=779986

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Hello
I'm helping a friends widow sell his gear. Today, It's 7 8x10 film holders. Five Fidelity and two wood holders. The Fidelity holders look to be in fine shape. The asking price for these are $225. The two wood holders are in fair shape. Could be converted for plate holders. Price is $70 for the pair.
I'm not selling this so you need to contact her at this email address below,
b.gearin@comcast.net
If you try to contact me you may miss out on this deal. So contact Barbara at
b.gearin@comcast.net
Thanks
:) :) :)

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications unless you additionally subscribe to the thread.

All the best,
Large Format Photography Forum

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unsubscription information:

To unsubscribe from this forum visit the following link:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/subscription.php?do=usub&f=27

============ end of quoted text ==============

I used this particular email because it contains both smileys and live URL links.

- Leigh

Leigh
3-Mar-2012, 23:31
Well, it appears that the notifications now contain the text of the post. I don't think I did anything to change that.

Great improvement. Thanks to whomever.

- Leigh