PDA

View Full Version : Crazy lens idea - an experiment.

Leszek Vogt
16-Feb-2012, 21:19
Howdy,

I was just wondering (might be too much time on my hands) if it's at all possible to adopt this 28-80mm F3.5/5.6 Pentax lens (35mm type) to a 4x5 rig. I don't care if the zoom is not usable, since I'm thinking to take it all apart and use individual lens pieces. I have no problem with butchering it since I got it for nearly no cash. Just wondering if I'll even get an image....and what sorts of gadgets would it take to align the glass pieces. Thanks to those that can offer some useful findings/advise.

Les

Darin Boville
16-Feb-2012, 21:37
My first guess is that the image projected behind the lens will be too small in diameter to cover a 4x5 sheet of film....

--Darin

Two23
16-Feb-2012, 23:07
Those zoom lenses like that have about a half million pieces. I don't see any way to align them. I also don't see how you could get them to focus.

Kent in SD

Nathan Potter
16-Feb-2012, 23:07
Indeed, the issue is that you'll need to scavenge those pieces of glass that individually or in concert have a much longer focal length than the full group 35mm format. That may be only one simple element or if you're lucky maybe an achromat from somewhere in the mix. An accurate layout of the elements would give you a hint - identify the lens and give Google a shot. There is a lot of activity on older 35 mm SLR lenses.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

ic-racer
18-Feb-2012, 13:50
Howdy,

I was just wondering (might be too much time on my hands) if it's at all possible to adopt this 28-80mm F3.5/5.6 Pentax lens (35mm type) to a 4x5 rig. I don't care if the zoom is not usable, since I'm thinking to take it all apart and use individual lens pieces. I have no problem with butchering it since I got it for nearly no cash. Just wondering if I'll even get an image....and what sorts of gadgets would it take to align the glass pieces. Thanks to those that can offer some useful findings/advise.

Les

If you are thinking of a single-lens ordeal that may be possible. Just hold each of the positive elements up to a white board and see if any will project an image that covers 4x5. Perhaps something like a 2 diopter strength element.

If you were wanting to have just the little circle in the middle of the 4x5 sheet, you will probably need a recessed lens board to focus the lens as a unit.

Jim Michael
18-Feb-2012, 14:18
Sounds like you might get a component or two you could use to make a simple soft focus lens.