PDA

View Full Version : Sinar-Copal Shutter

Jay Wolfe
15-Feb-2012, 14:56
I purchased a Sinar-Copal shutter recently and it arrived today. Overall it looks to be in good condition, however, the shutter speed lever does not move. It is set to "B" and will not move. I have a partial manual (page 7 is missing) and all it indicates is that "Exposure times can be set at any time with the lever 2A (except when the release is depressed." Is there a control that must be release to move the shutter speed lever?

Also, is there a recommended after market cable release for the Sinar-Copal shutter. It appears to need a narrow head and a long throw.

cdholden
15-Feb-2012, 15:05
Contact George, aka "apogeebee" on Ebay. He is very helpful, knowledgeable and tends to have access to plenty of Sinar accessories. He even offers advice and/or service on the workings of your Sinar shutter.

Scott Walker
15-Feb-2012, 15:12
It should move, I just checked mine and there does not seem to be anything I can do to it to make it stick at one speed.
I have had to replace the release cable on mine and I could not find an aftermarket cable. The Sinar cables are very hard to find used and not cheap. They are readily available new but real expensive.

Lachlan 717
15-Feb-2012, 15:13
Also, is there a recommended after market cable release for the Sinar-Copal shutter. It appears to need a narrow head and a long throw.

I think that you'll be out of luck with this. I looked a few years ago, and nothing came close.

IMO, the release is the expensive part when buying these; I've sometimes considered buying a second shutter that is being sold cheap because it doesn't have the proprietary cable.

Leonard Robertson
15-Feb-2012, 16:42
My Sinar shutter arrived two days ago, so I'm no expert. Complete manual here:
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/sinar_2.html
The cable release is a rather special thing. Very long throw, nearly 40mm sticks out when fully extended and I think it needs it all to fire the shutter. At least my shutter doesn't fire until the cable release is fully depressed. Also the threads inside the shutter are recessed quite a bit. When the release is threaded in, there is about 10mm of unthreaded tubing behind the threads that goes into the shutter to support the cable. The cable release is much heavier and stiffer than most standard releases, so may need this extra support. Possibly a standard cable release could be modified to work, but the outer sheath would need to be shortened, and some sort of sleeve fitted behind the threads. I seem to recall reading the shutter can be tripped with a small screwdriver, but haven't tried that. I don't know what might happen if whatever you poke in there doesn't go in straight. Here is a set on Flickr of the interior of one if it may help:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jones-ben/sets/72157626113820180/

Len

Ken Lee
15-Feb-2012, 16:42
If the shutter won't fire, be sure to set the aperture (along the side) to the widest setting. If set to smaller apertures, it won't fire without the presence of a Sinar DB mounted lens. If you want to use a barrel-mounted lens, then leave the shutter at its widest opening, and use the aperture of the lens, not the other way around.

Jay Wolfe
16-Feb-2012, 15:38
Thanks for the comments. I've arranged to send the shutter back to the seller for a refund. An unfortunate learning experience.

cowanw
16-Feb-2012, 17:22
You did try to move the manual lever on the side?