PDA

View Full Version : Travel Tripod Recommendation?

Ari
15-Feb-2012, 14:55
Hi,

I've been musing on traveling light-ish, and I now turn my attention to tripods.

This tripod will go in a Pelican 1650 with other gear in cargo, so I'm trying to keep the 1650 weighing in at 23 kg (50 lbs) or less.

I need the following from a tripod:
-lightweight
-folds down to 26 inches or less (including head)
-able to support a Technikardan with lens and Grafmatic
-uses some kind of QR system (sorry, Tiltall fans)

I'm not looking at cost yet, just wondering what anyone can suggest.

Thanks in advance.

cdholden
15-Feb-2012, 15:03
This thread has the potential to spread like wildfire... aluminum vs basalt vs older/newer carbon fiber. With what you've got here, my Gitzo 1348 would fit the bill. It's the 4 section cousin of the popular 1325. While it is an older model, it is significantly less expensive than the current offerings. It compresses a little shorter (fitting your needs) and has a 3/8 bolt for whatever head/QR system you choose to add. It has the option of removing the flat plate and installing a rapid column or leveling base, but with some increase in height.

Ari
15-Feb-2012, 15:23
Chris, I know this may open a giant can of worms, but trying to find a light, small, sturdy tripod is kind of specific; has that been discussed here previously? :)
Just to be safe, I'll put a spending limit of $250.

Thanks

Peter De Smidt
15-Feb-2012, 15:38
How about a carbon fiber Feisol? I don't have one, but I've heard good things about them. For travel, I use an older carbon fiber Gitzo, a 1227 (I think). It's fine, but it might cost more than your limit.

Ari
15-Feb-2012, 15:48
Peter, thanks; I hadn't considered the Feisol.
They are meet or surpass all my needs except for price.
I'll look more into it, though.

Thanks again.

Peter De Smidt
15-Feb-2012, 16:53
Hi Ari,

Talk to Kerry at www.ReallyBigCameras.com. He's always been very helpful, and he won't try to sell you something that won't work for best for you.

Frank Petronio
15-Feb-2012, 18:44
Simply removing the column and/or head can always save a few inches in packing.

But... I think you're going to have to be careful using a heavy case like the Pelican 1650 and still staying under the 50lb airline limit with a Technikardan kit. You might better add up the weight of everything else and then come back to us to say that you want a sturdy yet tall tripod that is less than 26-inches folded yet can handle a 7-8 lb extended TechniKardan while still costing less than $250 and don't forget, most importantly, it has to weigh under the x-ounces you have left over from the rest of your kit ;-p

I'm on pins and needles, this will be fun to watch!

FWIW, in my opinion I'd substitute a used $100 1629 Lightware case for the Pelican and get a used metal Gitzo 326 for $150 and throw whatever other head you already have onto it or go without any head until you can afford to get a proper one, like a Linhof 3-way leveling head to go with your fine camera. That'd be the cheapest and most practical "right" way to do it. True you can't stand on a Lightware but at least they won't crack from standing on them, nor will they ding the walls or crush small children like a heavy, hard Peli is prone to do.

Ari
15-Feb-2012, 20:02
Hi Ari,

Talk to Kerry at www.ReallyBigCameras.com. He's always been very helpful, and he won't try to sell you something that won't work for best for you.

Thanks, Peter, I'll send Kerry an email.

brian mcweeney
15-Feb-2012, 20:21
Hi Ari,
I'm kind of with Frank on this one. That 1650 case weighs in around 33 pounds empty, so you have only 17 pounds to work with... camera and lens(es) 10 pounds?, film and stuff 2-3 pounds?, then tripod. As far as a tripod goes, here's a Gitzo on ebay that might do the trick, 4 pounds, and only $160.00.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gitzo-Reporter-Compact-Perfomance-Series-2-Tripod-Excellent-condition-/290670932124?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item43ad56709c

Good luck with your hunt!

Ari
15-Feb-2012, 20:24
Simply removing the column and/or head can always save a few inches in packing.

But... I think you're going to have to be careful using a heavy case like the Pelican 1650 and still staying under the 50lb airline limit with a Technikardan kit. You might better add up the weight of everything else and then come back to us to say that you want a sturdy yet tall tripod that is less than 26-inches folded yet can handle a 7-8 lb extended TechniKardan while still costing less than $250 and don't forget, most importantly, it has to weigh under the x-ounces you have left over from the rest of your kit ;-p

I'm on pins and needles, this will be fun to watch!

FWIW, in my opinion I'd substitute a used $100 1629 Lightware case for the Pelican and get a used metal Gitzo 326 for $150 and throw whatever other head you already have onto it or go without any head until you can afford to get a proper one, like a Linhof 3-way leveling head to go with your fine camera. That'd be the cheapest and most practical "right" way to do it. True you can't stand on a Lightware but at least they won't crack from standing on them, nor will they ding the walls or crush small children like a heavy, hard Peli is prone to do.

Frank, as always, you point out some excellent stuff.
FWIW, I have an excellent tripod, an Induro AT413; a high-end Gitzo clone that supports 45 lbs; however, it weighs 7+ lbs, and folds up at 30 inches-too long for a 1650, and too heavy.
The 1650 case is about 11 lbs heavier than the Lightware 1629, but I paid $100 for a 1629, and I might have to wait a while for a used 1629 to come my way.
It seems like a great idea, though, to go with a quality soft-ish case like the LW; as it is, I'd have to find one first.
After I settle on a tripod, I'll let you know how I configured everything; I'll put lenses and film in the carry-on case (they likely won't weigh that one), and anything else that can keep the larger case to within 50 lbs.
Also, on most int'l flights, the allowance goes up to 46kg (about 100 lbs), so I should be fine on long hauls.
Or, if I can get my wife and daughter to pack light, I'll be in like Flynn!

Anyway, sorrry, I'm rambling; I will post photos and descriptions when all is done.
I think I'll take a look at Feisols, and wait for the 1650 to arrive, then go from there.
Thanks

polyglot
15-Feb-2012, 20:45
Another vote for a Feisol (my 3442 Rapid did a lap of the world with me last year). The legs fold upwards and enclose the ballhead, which makes the whole thing pack up into a very short package without needing to remove anything.

Not happening for $250 with head though unless you can find a secondhand one.

Noah A
16-Feb-2012, 06:18
Every flight I end up in seems to have the 23kg limit. Which airlines give you a higher allowance? I'd like to give them my business.

The pelican 1650 is also oversize unfortunately. It's close though, so maybe you'll slip through without fees.

Yardley
16-Feb-2012, 07:34
For Carry-on Think Tank makes several cases. I don't know about your budget..

I travel with an old Gitzo Compac Studex Rapid and a Ball Head. It's sturdy but heavy (10 Lbs).
When flying I packed the tripod and light stands in a separate case for cargo. These days I would try to rent gaffer gear (except the tripod) on arrival.

I don't fly much these days. If weight is an issue the Feisol gear is attractive. I may shop for one for air travel.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/rolling-camera-bags.aspx

Bob Salomon
16-Feb-2012, 08:18
Linhof ProfiPort easily supports a TK and will fit into a brief case so it will easily fit a Pelican case.

Greg Y
16-Feb-2012, 11:21
Ari, I lucked into a carbon fiber "Triopo- 1227" (Gitzo Clone), (ca $150 cdn)...put a small Feisol ball head with QR plate. I got my tripod out of Vancouver and it was delivered to Alberta for $5 via Canada Post. Besides my big Ries it holds everything from my Rollei to Deardorff & Chamonix 5x7. The Triopo is as well made as the Feisol (in hand comparison) & came with a very nice padded case. Have a great trip!

Ari
16-Feb-2012, 11:47
Every flight I end up in seems to have the 23kg limit. Which airlines give you a higher allowance? I'd like to give them my business.

The pelican 1650 is also oversize unfortunately. It's close though, so maybe you'll slip through without fees.

Noah, some flights give me 2x23kg, usually national airlines going transcontinental.
Air Canada, BA, Air France; sometimes, not all the time, though.
Thanks

For Carry-on Think Tank makes several cases. I don't know about your budget..

I travel with an old Gitzo Compac Studex Rapid and a Ball Head. It's sturdy but heavy (10 Lbs).
When flying I packed the tripod and light stands in a separate case for cargo. These days I would try to rent gaffer gear (except the tripod) on arrival.

I don't fly much these days. If weight is an issue the Feisol gear is attractive. I may shop for one for air travel.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/rolling-camera-bags.aspx

Out of my budget, but thank you.

Linhof ProfiPort easily supports a TK and will fit into a brief case so it will easily fit a Pelican case.

I will have a look-see, Bob; thank you very much for the recommendation.

Ari, I lucked into a carbon fiber "Triopo- 1227" (Gitzo Clone), (ca $150 cdn)...put a small Feisol ball head with QR plate. I got my tripod out of Vancouver and it was delivered to Alberta for $5 via Canada Post. Besides my big Ries it holds everything from my Rollei to Deardorff & Chamonix 5x7. The Triopo is as well made as the Feisol (in hand comparison) & came with a very nice padded case. Have a great trip!

Thanks, Greg; I will certainly investigate this further; that`s what I was hoping to find.

civich
16-Feb-2012, 17:55
That 1650 case weighs in around 33 pounds empty,

Ari,
Not quite that heavy! The case as shipped weighs a touch under 21 pounds.
-Chris

Ari
16-Feb-2012, 18:10
Ari,
Not quite that heavy! The case as shipped weighs a touch under 21 pounds.
-Chris

Hey, thanks, Chris; the B&H specs gave a much heavier weight.
Mmmm...1650. :)

jp
16-Feb-2012, 18:54
http://www.casesbypelican.com/app-1650.htm

says Empty 29.1 lbs. Case with Foam: 35.5 lbs, which I can believe after traveling with a 1620 case earlier this year (with an 8x10 camera and accessories in it)

Drew Wiley
16-Feb-2012, 19:49
I'd never check in serious camera gear. I have a four-section Gitzo carbon fiber
Mountaineer tripod which nicely fits into my carry-on, is agreeably light, and firmly supports any of my 4X5's or med format gear. I've never been hassled about it, though I have had my light meter inspected a couple of times, probably because it's
the only thing with a battery in it; and I've been questioned about my 4X5, more for curiousity than suspicion. This last trip they didn't even remove it from my carry-on. I prefer a simple cordura carry-on system with conventional plastic boxes and bubble wrapping inside protecting gear instead of one of those conspicuous Pelican style cases which add a lot of unecessary weight and scream "steal me" all over them.

cosmicexplosion
17-Feb-2012, 03:13
Ari

WHat are you like and crafting things.
you see i have been thinking about a bamboo based tripod. yes bamboo.
i came across a new school of push bikes, or pedal bikes, that are built with bamboo and carbon fibre,
the premis is that they are lighter and stronger than carbon.
do a google on bamboo bikes, and you will see what i am talken about.

any way, i am thinking its not hard to translate bikes to tripods, being a frame based high stress object.

i am planning on building experimental version when i get a space set up.

it would not be telescopic but in sections, maybe with telescopic feet.but with a bit of imagination you could come up with some thing. i was thinking that to join you could use the same system that paint rollers mops brooms and even beach umbrellas use. just screws together. cheap and strong, so you could make a custom job for $40 bucks. or less.

paint it black and customs wont know a thing!

i wondert if you can buy tripod parts so you only need bamboo poles shimmied to fit.

any way

thats my latest hair brain idea...

Andy Pandy

Ari
18-Feb-2012, 14:01
Andrew,
I think a bamboo tripod is brilliant; I wish I was the kind of person who could make it, but I'm sure someone here can take on the challenge.
Great idea, though...

Uri A
21-Feb-2012, 18:51
Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55thqbbYF14) you go. Now you just need to put some sturdy rope and a machete in your carry-on and you can build a tripod wherever you go.

Unless you end up going to Guantanamo... :rolleyes:

Ari
21-Feb-2012, 20:01
For those who may be interested to know, I settled on a relatively inexpensive, light, and compact tripod.
http://www.linkdelight.com/K9T-Triopo-Carbon-Fiber-Tripod-GT-3228X8.C-4-Section-w/-B-2-BallHead.html
Weighs 1.2kg, folds down to 45cm, and supports 15kg; there's a special on right now, it comes with a B-2 ball head, all for about $220 shipped.
I've never been a fan of mixing LF with ball heads, but I'm willing to try again.

I'll update once I have the 1650 case, and I've figured out how best to pack it to under 23kg.

Peter De Smidt
22-Feb-2012, 07:44
Neat. I look forward to hearing how well it works in the field.

Ari
22-Feb-2012, 09:38
There's a couple of UTube reviews:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPb8eEPc6jc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLUgP2LFPTs

They're in Polish, but you can see the tripod in action.

cdholden
22-Feb-2012, 10:15
Neat. I look forward to hearing how well it works in the field.

+1

I look forward to a review after use. I'm especially curious about the "superior abrasion resistance".
The low weight is impressive too, assuming their spec is accurate.

cosmicexplosion
24-Feb-2012, 03:02
mmmm very interesting.

come on ari, out with the review, oh its still in the post.

well what a bout a pre review.

what does your intuition tell you.

Ari
24-Feb-2012, 06:11
Yes, still in the post, Andrew.
But methinks I got myself the perfect tripod for my stated needs.
Anyway, check out the video reviews, they seem pretty good.

cosmicexplosion
24-Feb-2012, 13:33
ari are you traveling with a 45 or 810?

Ari
24-Feb-2012, 13:40
ari are you traveling with a 45 or 810?

45, Andrew; the heaviest camera I own weighs 6-7kg with a lens and Grafmatic.
I suspect this tripod would hold a folding 8x10, though.
When it gets here, I'll fill you in.

Ari
27-Feb-2012, 14:50
The tripod arrived today, and it is indeed small and light, and capable of carrying a decent load.
Folded up, it is about 16 inches long (40 cm); it weighs 1.3kg (2.8 lbs).
It came with a B-2 ballhead, and I also bought several QR plates of different sizes.
Also included is a center column, about 13 inches long, a nice bag and strap, and an allen key.
It also has rubber/spiked feet, changed by screwing the rubber part out of the way of the spikes.
It has four sections; I would have preferred three, but that's a longer, slightly heavier tripod.
At full extension, but without using the center column, it was higher than I would normally use it (I'm 5'9" or 173 cm).
Right away, I attached a QR plate and put my camera on the tripod to see.
I have a Technikardan, and I added a Nikon 90mm f4,5 and a loaded Grafmatic.
The tripod easily handled the weight, but there was a little movement in the ball head, probably from the thinner neck part of the ball head.
With all four sections extended, the tripod leg had some bend in the thinnest section, but nothing undue.
My hastily fitted camera was off centre, as well.
I retracted the last section, and it was much more stable, and still at a very usable height.

First impressions, great tripod for a long trip where weight and size might be a factor.
I've never really seen a CF tripod up close, so my initial impression was "it's kind of a toy tripod."
But it performed very well with my heaviest gear, and I'll learn to work with the quirks it exhibits.
Build quality is good, the rubber parts used to tighten the sections feel a little cheap, but maybe they need to be worked in to work smoother.

The ball head is excellent, but I won't be keeping it, as I still can't stand ball heads.
I just bought a compact 3-way head from Kirk, so it'll go on this tripod for travel.

Load support: 9/10
Rigidity: 7.5/10
Features: 9/10
Build quality: 8.5/10
Price: excellent at $220 shipped (tripod, ball head and one QR plate)

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, I'll be keeping the tripod.