PDA

View Full Version : Source for 8x10 films?

Doug_3727
26-Nov-2003, 12:51
I'm thinking of getting back into photography in a big way. I just sold all my darkroom and studio gear last year and now I am feeling lonesome for it. Wife is only mildly upset. But, I'm looking at getting a 8x10 field camera and wanted to see if any of you had sources for 8x10 sheet film you would share with me. I like Kodak but will venture into other types as required. Thanks for all the great help you have given me in the past and now into the future. Doug

John Kasaian
26-Nov-2003, 13:30
www.freestylephoto.biz www.photowarehouse.biz www.jandcphotography.com www.eightelmphoto.com These dealers offer a honkin' selection of 8x10 B+W emulsions at very good prices.

Michael Kadillak
26-Nov-2003, 13:37
I guess the answer to your question is more than likely what films you have become familiar with in the last. Folks generally feel comfortable with what brought them to the dance even if they have sat out a few tunes. Currently in 8x10 you can purchase the new Tri X, T Max 100 and T Max 400 from Badger or any other mail order houses.

J&C Photo (jandcphotography.com)sells several Ekfe film from Croatia that are fantastic and priced right. I particularly like the PL100 in pyro. Bergger is another film manufacturer that is offering film in 8x10. They will direct you to sellers on their web site.

You can stay with big yellow if it feels like the thing to do but thankfully, you do not have to be concerned about their ball being dropped any longer.

A quick search will fill your browser with many comments on these films to assist you in your decision as they have all been discussed regularly.

Welcome back

tim atherton
26-Nov-2003, 13:43
"I guess the answer to your question is more than likely what films you have become familiar with in the last. Folks generally feel comfortable with what brought them to the dance even if they have sat out a few tunes. Currently in 8x10 you can purchase the new Tri X, T Max 100 and T Max 400 from Badger or any other mail order houses."

And ilford FP4, HP5 and Delta 100 (I think?)

And Forte 200 (try Eight Elm Photo) and the Bergger 200 already mentioned

Jim Galli
26-Nov-2003, 15:32
I'm currently using Freestyle's Arista 125 which is FP4 in a generic box. Very happy with it. In 5X7 and 7X11 I've been breaking in the Photo Warehouse' "house brand" which also appears to be FP4 and even cheaper. Very happy with it also.

Michael Mutmansky
26-Nov-2003, 15:46
Jim,

Can you confirm that the Aristo and the PW films have exactly the same curves? There has been some speculation that the Arista is FP4+, and the PW film is the older FP4 film. If this is the case, they should have different response curves.

I've been meaning to do some testing with regard to this, but I have not done it yet.

---Michael

sanking
26-Nov-2003, 16:30
Michael,

The PhotoWarehouse FP4 125 film that I have used, purchased fronm cut rolls in 7X17 and 12X20 size, has an almost identical curve to FP4+ in 4X5 and 5X7 sheets. However, there is subtle difference. The anit-halation back of the film cut from rolls clear up nicely with normal processing, but it is very difficult to get rid of the magenta color with small sheet film, rather like Kodak TMAX 100 films. Granted, all my film, both that cut from large rolls and the 4X5 and 5X7 sheet film, was purchased within a 2-3 month period about a year ago and I can not comment on the very latest emulsions.

Paul Metcalf
26-Nov-2003, 17:06
For those that live in locations that have a professional oriented camera/photography store within reasonable driving distance, I'd like to throw out a suggestion that film/supplies be acquired from such if it meets your needs, etc. Supporting local economies is a foundational American quality that's rapidly going away, and resisting the supposedly cheaper prices of mail order will surely cause further erosion of the availability of large format materials. If your store doesn't carry it, they probably can order it. I live in a fairly high taxed city (I think we're in the top 5 in the country), and I find the shipping costs from mail order is roughly equivalent or more than the local tax costs (and those dollars supposedly go to local infrastructure). Plus, if I have an issue with purchased material (even photo sensitive) and have purchased enough stuff from the local store, they have not hesitated in giving me a refund and/or reordered a replacement. Don't get me wrong, I use mail order for sure, but for products that I can't acquire locally or are no longer in ready supply and only available through special mail order houses (which is rapidly becoming a lot of large format stuff). With that volley, and with regards to another great American tradition, have a Happy Thanksgiving!

John Kasaian
26-Nov-2003, 17:57
Paul,

You're fortunate to have a local merchant who'll support LF and certainly deserves your support in return. FWIW, I buy my chemistry locally(yeah the yellow envelopes---it works for me, and its kept in stock thanks to the local college photo instructor, but if they ever abandon film for digital---yikes!) but then I don't use much exotic stuff. If I asked the local guys for anything larger that 4x5 film though, they'd just laugh and try to sell me a digi(!)

Doug_3727
26-Nov-2003, 18:18
This has been a great response to my question about 8x10 film. I want to thank everyone again for sharing your knowledge. I had lost most of my e-based vendors when I sold everything. Ahhh well. Here we go again. My next question will be about lenses I'm sure, since I have forgotten everything I learned about coverage since I quit.

Thanks a million and have a great Thanksgiving.

Doug Theall

jnantz
26-Nov-2003, 20:21
hi paul:

i live in rhode island. there used to be a handful of photo stores that stocked large format film, large size paper, darkroom equipment &c, now there is only one left. it is a subsidiary of a boston area chain and basicly most things larger than 120 format are a special order. while they have a pretty good selection of paper, they do not carry more than maybe tmax or trix and a few of the polaroid films. i would gladly buy from them, or purchase "mail order" from their boston "home office" but they charge about 2 times + for the same film/ paper ordered from a place like photowarehouse - even though their mail order.. the store pretty much caters to a large student population ( brown, risd &al. and a handful of pro-photographers) ...

it is a good theory and practice to shop locally, but when the local shop is interested in selling consumer point 'n shoots rather than film & paper at resonable prices, i would rather buy from oxnard california, pay $5 in shipping charges, and save at least 50% :)

have a nice turkey day!

-john

David A. Goldfarb
26-Nov-2003, 21:25
I'm fortunate that B&H is my local dealer--just a 20 minute subway ride away.