PDA

View Full Version : New Film Changing Tent

Michael Clark
13-Feb-2012, 18:27
I Ebay ordered a new film changing tent from China about 4 weeks ago and just got it today. 3S-Kang Rinpoche is the company and 3skrps is the seller on ebay.

They say in the add that it is good for 8x10. The width is about 36" but its the sloping ends of the tent that looks a little restrictive. For 5x7 it is great and that's what I bought it for in the first place. Bid it on a whim after trying to track down a Harrison tent and for $99 plus $30 for shipping thought it was a good deal. I'm not connected or friends in any way with this company, just give my opinion of a product resource.

Mike

atlcruiser
13-Feb-2012, 20:51
will it work for 810?

Michael Clark
13-Feb-2012, 22:15
Have not tried it with 8x10, It will work but seems to me a little cramped, the height of tent in the peak of the middle is only 12" and tapers off to the edges. I got some 8x10 film to load so I,ll post my results tomorrow. Nicely sewn and good material, very similar to the Harrison tent.
Mike

Robert Ley
13-Feb-2012, 22:36
Do yourself a favor and try this out in the sun with some junk film. Years ago I bought one (not like this and it was used) and it ruined my film. I used it without testing it first. It was a good lesson learned.

Michael Clark
13-Feb-2012, 23:07
Thats a good Idea Robert, just happen to have some old film also.

Sean Galbraith
14-Feb-2012, 06:34
I've been looking at the same tent. I'm looking forward to your review @ 8x10.

edp
14-Feb-2012, 06:56
I've got one as well, and I'm happy with it. I haven't used anything bigger than half-plate in it, but there's plenty of room for opening up the book-form plate holders.

Ari
14-Feb-2012, 10:30
Yes, please let us know the quality re: light-proof;
I see in the photos that the zippers do not have a protective flap when they are zipped up.

Thanks for mentioning this.

edp
14-Feb-2012, 11:00
There's not a lot of sunlight right now.

Re: protective flap; yes, there is a protective flap inside the zipper on both inner and outer, formed of doubled-over fabric.

Michael Clark
14-Feb-2012, 14:43
Loaded some 8x10, went pretty good, with practice I do not see any problems. The 12" height is a little restrictive when opening the film box's (3). I opened the dark slide 1/4 of the way open and was able to slide film inn. The inside light flap has been creased from being all rolled up for three weeks and needs to be checked once the doors are zipped closed, you can feel it out once your hands are in the two sleeve's. The sleeves seem a little close to together but that is just me. The only other tent Ived used, besides the small cube that Freestly sells, was a larger Harrison tent. But even with the Harrison it took me a while to get comfortable using it.

Will devel. film to nite from the light test .
Mike

Michael Clark
14-Feb-2012, 22:36
Finished development of film in tent test (F.I.T.T.) of the Kung Rinpoche fim changing tent,size 36" width 28" deep by 12" high.

Test one, done in the shade of the patio. Light measured EV 11, iso of 200 using Luna Pro SBC incident reading.Film used is TXP 320 4x5. Opened up holder half way for 5 min.Developed using HC110 1:50 8min 71 deg. F. No indication of additional density over film base fog.

Test two ,done in open sky light at High noon. Incident meter reading of a EV 16 1/2 Iso of 200, again Luna Pro SBC. Half opened holder containing TXP 320 4x5 film. Exposed for 5 min, rotating tent so sun would hit all sides plus the zippers and arm sleeves while arms are inserted in sleeves. Developed same as test one above,again no noticeable increase of density above film base fog . I figured that leaving the holder half way open would allow a better comparison if there was fog caused by a light leak in tent.

Mike

Test