PDA

View Full Version : drilling holes in glass

vinny
12-Feb-2012, 17:57
I'm making another print washer but I'd like to have a proper drain this time. So before I destroy my fish tank, anyone recommend a particular type/brand of diamond drill bit? I'll be making a 1/2"-5/8" hole.

Leigh
12-Feb-2012, 18:23
Check McMaster-Carr Supply Co. at www.mcmaster.com

They have a huge selection of drill bits, including specialty bits.
Their search tree is quite easy to use. They have no minimum order and no handling charges.

- Leigh

wclark5179
12-Feb-2012, 18:32
Try Home Depot.

Recommend the tool department and ask for a "glass and tile bit." They have a triangular point on the starting end and a small shaft attached.

A drill press could help, but not necessary if you have done this in the past.

Good luck.

vinny
12-Feb-2012, 18:46
Try Home Depot.

Recommend the tool department and ask for a "glass and tile bit." They have a triangular point on the starting end and a small shaft attached.

A drill press could help, but not necessary if you have done this in the past.

Good luck.

No, those aren't what's recommended and I've already tried one, it sucked!
I've researched it a little bit and diamond is the way to go.

Brian K
12-Feb-2012, 18:56
No, those aren't what's recommended and I've already tried one, it sucked!
I've researched it a little bit and diamond is the way to go.

Vinny is right. A glass bit is NOT a tile bit. I haven't used one in years, I used to have to drill though bottles to do pour shots and if I recall correctly they were more of a grinding type bit than a cutting bit. Go to a glass shop and ask them if they sell them or for information regarding a supplier.

Jim Noel
12-Feb-2012, 19:04
Definitely a diamond bit, plus plenty of cooling water or other liquid. I have had mone for so many years I have absolutely no memory of it source. Checking with a good glass shop is an excellent idea. They may even do the drilling for you for far lees than the cost of a good bit.

Peter De Smidt
12-Feb-2012, 19:12
Go here: http://www.glass-holes.com/

Follow their directions. It's easy. I drilled 12 tanks for a fish store last weekend.

Make sure the glass isn't tempered.

vinny
12-Feb-2012, 19:56
thanks peter, will do.

Roger Thoms
12-Feb-2012, 23:43
Go here: http://www.glass-holes.com/

Follow their directions. It's easy. I drilled 12 tanks for a fish store last weekend.

Make sure the glass isn't tempered.

These were the bits I was going to suggest. The triangular shaped ones are terrible. I have a set of the diamond core bits 3/16" - 1/2" like glass-holes sells so if you live anywhere near San Francisco pm me and we can drill the holes.

Roger

Drew Wiley
13-Feb-2012, 09:38
Entirely depends on the type of glass. Tempered glass needs special technique. But
Dremel offers an inexpensive diamond core bit with lubricant in 1/8" and 1/4" diameters
for around $25 apiece. Bigger than that, there are numerous brands, but you'll pay more. You have to go slow and be careful not to apply too much pressure, esp exiting,
or the backside will chip out. Any decent tile shop or glass shop should have these.

Roger Thoms
13-Feb-2012, 23:50
Hey Vinny, did you add your location or did I completely miss it when I posted earlier. Guess it will be cheaper for you to buy a bit than to drive over to my house.

Roger

vinny
14-Feb-2012, 09:42
Roger, I just drove back from california and the tank is here. Probably cheaper to drill it here than another 4600 mile round trip:) thanks for the offer.

ndrs
14-Feb-2012, 11:14
Tempered glass needs special technique.

Tempered glass is usually drilled before it's tempered. At least that's what they told me at a large tempering factory.

vinny
14-Feb-2012, 11:23
Fish tanks aren't tempered. At least, not around here. I wouldn't attempt drilling one either.

Lynn Jones
14-Feb-2012, 13:14
Hi Vinny and all,

At Celestron we used to drill glass all the time, thin or thick. We used steel tubing of the correct size, drilled with a drill press, while dripping water and abrasive. the water keeps the glass cool and the abrasive cuts the glass while the tubing is also being slightly smoothed and slowly removed, but not nearly as much as the glass. Don't get in a rush, it has to stay cool and you can see it cutting through.

Lynn

eternaltools
20-Feb-2012, 07:17
Diamond core drills are the way forward, use with plenty of water and go carefully with the speed and very little pressure - let the drill do the work.
Take a look at: http://www.eternaltools.com/drills-2/diamond-core-drill-bits for diamond core drills from as small as 0.75mm - 50mm.

All the best with the project.

Rick A
20-Feb-2012, 07:43
Why not just take the tank to a glass shop and have them drill it for you. Probably alot cheaper and safer than doing it yourself.

vinny
29-Feb-2012, 14:29
Not my style. I ordered a couple diamond coated bits. Wish me luck!