PDA

View Full Version : First shots with expired Polaroid 57

John Conway
12-Feb-2012, 00:54
Since the 57 film was rated at 3000 I started there with my testing. After four shots I got a print that I was happy with. I'm down to 640 on the speed and 40 seconds on development.By slowing things down to 640 and extending the development time, I have decent contrast and there is that nice unexplainable expired Polaroid weirdness. The first two test prints were underexposed, milky gray, and flat. I plan on getting more 57 with the same expiration date 3/03. I also found some 57 with a much older expiration, I think 1981, should be fun.What is great is that everything I get my hands on, with different expiration dates, will have it's own unique look.

Ari
12-Feb-2012, 13:56
Can you post photos?

John Conway
12-Feb-2012, 14:30
Hey Ari, I was just experimenting in the backyard. Things were very different when I went outside. My tests last night were pictures of a lamp in the den. When I tested outside to shoot today, using my numbers from last night, I had over exposure issues on the first two shots. So I started over at 3000 and played with the development times. Since it is heavy overcast here in New York everything is coming out pretty flat anyway. I put a sheet of 55(only a few years old) through the camera to see if everything was working ok and the 55 came through fine. In my attempt to come up with the correct numbers for the outdated film, I may be experiencing a difference from sheet to sheet, but it should be consistent, I would think. I'll try to get some pictures posted.

John Conway
12-Feb-2012, 15:42
Well, I think I have it figured out. I knew I wasn't wrong with my indoor exposure and development times. So, I made another exposure inside at 640 asa and the print came out fine. But outside I have to set my meter to 3000. The outside shot is the best of three., so far.

http://i40.tinypic.com/901xck.jpg

John Conway
12-Feb-2012, 15:50
I didn't intend to post the pictures so big. I'm not very good at scanning and posting.The 57 film is pretty grainy. The indoor shot was made with a Fuji 180 and the outdoor shot was made with my 121 SA. Ari, these two shots don't show the unusual characteristics of the outdated film. I will post some others soon.