PDA

View Full Version : Dial Set CLA

Two23
11-Feb-2012, 16:48
I was out this morning with one of my favorite lenses, a 1914 Zeiss Tessar in dial set Compound. It was 2F below zero. I'm pretty sure the speeds were off as 1/4s sounded more like 2s. Dang! Who should I send it to for a decent CLA that has a relatively quick turn around?

Kent in SD

John Kasaian
11-Feb-2012, 16:58
I'd first see what Carol's schedule is like at Flutot's. She might have worked through the back log by now.

lenser
11-Feb-2012, 17:00
Ditto. She does wonderful work and is definitely worth a wait.

BrianShaw
11-Feb-2012, 17:06
I had mine overhauled by Steve Choi at Steve's Caemra Repair in Culver City CA. More expensive than Flutot but much quicker, and for me easier since it is nearby. Mine has been running like a Swiss watch ever since.

domaz
11-Feb-2012, 20:42
Dial set's are pretty easy to do yourself. They need a good gear/watch oil on the timing gears to keep running good. Probably all you would have to do is open it up, clean it up the gears with a q-tip soaked in Zippo lighter fluid, wait to dry, then put a few dabs of oil on the gears.

E. von Hoegh
13-Feb-2012, 09:19
Dial set's are pretty easy to do yourself. They need a good gear/watch oil on the timing gears to keep running good. Probably all you would have to do is open it up, clean it up the gears with a q-tip soaked in Zippo lighter fluid, wait to dry, then put a few dabs of oil on the gears.

You do not oil the gears unless you want them to wear out. Oil the pivots only.

edp
13-Feb-2012, 12:15
2F below zero? I'm not surprised it got a bit sticky.

E. von Hoegh
13-Feb-2012, 12:22
2F below zero? I'm not surprised it got a bit sticky.

I use cameras in such temps every winter, colder as well - down to -25f to -30f on occasion. They need to be clean and properly lubricated for those temps, I use a special molybdenum disulphide oil and low temperature grease. My cellphone stops working, but the 100+ year old Compound shutter just keeps on going.:)

domaz
14-Feb-2012, 17:17
You do not oil the gears unless you want them to wear out. Oil the pivots only.

I tried that on one of my shutters that wasn't running at all first. Didn't work and I had to apply oil more liberally. You are right though best to go easy on the oil and try the pivots first.

E. von Hoegh
15-Feb-2012, 07:51
I tried that on one of my shutters that wasn't running at all first. Didn't work and I had to apply oil more liberally. You are right though best to go easy on the oil and try the pivots first.

Oiling the gear teeth will result in the combination of dirt and oil forming a grinding paste which will wear the teeth. Properly formed teeth have no sliding contact, therefore require no lubricant at the low speeds and light loads a shutter works at.

BrianShaw
15-Feb-2012, 07:56
You are right though best to go easy on the oil and try the pivots first.

Just to emphatically emphasize the point... that is basic clock and watch repair knowledge that has stood the test of time. (How about that for metaphorical phrasing?) It isn't random advise.

Two23
15-Feb-2012, 21:22
I got an estimate from Steve's Repair, and there's good news & bad. Good news is he has two week turnaround. Bad news is he's twice as much $$ as Carol. Since the aperture is also very stiff, I think I'll send the whole thing to Carol on Friday. Thanks for the help! Funny there doesn't seem to be more than two places to send a vintage lenses like these.

Kent in SD