PDA

View Full Version : Changing Copal Shutters To Prontor Professional

bartbartolomeo
10-Feb-2012, 21:38
Hi

Has anyone changed a Copal shutter on their lens to a Prontor Professional before?
I can't seem to find any literature on changing shutters. Let alone if shutters are interchangable. Both shutters have the same copal sizing and aperture scale. Does the lenses still need to be calibrated to be correct?

Also, I've recently bought a prontor remote, but the lenses need to be mounted sideways for the remote to fire correctly?

Thanks in advance

rdenney
10-Feb-2012, 22:36
Hi

Has anyone changed a Copal shutter on their lens to a Prontor Professional before?
I can't seem to find any literature on changing shutters. Let alone if shutters are interchangable. Both shutters have the same copal sizing and aperture scale. Does the lenses still need to be calibrated to be correct?

There are subtleties, but generally a No. 0, 1 or 3 shutter can be interchanged between brands. With a few special exceptions, the lens cell mounting threads are the same. You either have to source an aperture scale or make your own, though; they are not interchangeable between brands.

Many lenses at various times were offered with either Copal or Compur shutters, or were originally offered with Compur shutters and later offered with Copal shutters, with no redesign.

Rick "who has changed shutters but never handled a Prontor Pro" Denney

Bob Salomon
11-Feb-2012, 09:54
You may also need to have shims installed or removed when you change shutters. But the lens groups themselves just screw in to the PP shutter from a modern Copal.