PDA

View Full Version : Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]

letchhausen
27-Oct-2015, 20:03
And of course a little boy at the dinner table carving a Travelwide out of the pile of mashed potatoes on his dinner plate.....he stares off into space dreamily.....then the doorbell rings.....

rfesk
28-Oct-2015, 04:30
Mine (#334 or so) is at my local post office for delivery today. And this is the 28th of October.

Jim Cole
28-Oct-2015, 06:50
Yea! Mine finally shows up on USPS Tracking. Was in Phoenix yesterday which means it might be here today. Nice present for our 20th anniversary tonight. Hmm, should I take it to the restaurant??? ;-)

Corran
28-Oct-2015, 06:57
Congrats on the anniversary!

(BTW, thanks Oren).

Mine is sitting on my porch! Gotta go get it when I have a chance to dip outta work.

plywood
28-Oct-2015, 07:21
Yep, delivery scheduled for today but I'll probably be out and just pick it up tomorrow at the local PO.

BarryS
28-Oct-2015, 07:30
Mine is out for delivery--trying to be productive at work, so I can leave a bit early. What a long strange trip it's been.

Jim Cole
28-Oct-2015, 07:39
Congrats on the anniversary!

(BTW, thanks Oren).

Mine is sitting on my porch! Gotta go get it when I have a chance to dip outta work.

Thanks, Bryan. Looks like a lot of 4x5 film will be shot in the next few weeks! Dang that work stuff. It really interferes with the enjoyment of life!

Roger Thoms
28-Oct-2015, 08:16
Jim, glad to hear you are finally receiving tracking info and that your camera is on its way. Very exciting!!! Also congrats on your anniversary. As far as bringing the camera, I have no idea, but I bet you already know the answer.

Roger

Corran
28-Oct-2015, 08:38
The Super Angulon 90mm ƒ/5.6 is not recommended.

You can't tell me what to do :cool:.

http://www.oceanstarproductions.com/photosharing/DSC_0683s.jpg

Yes this works! Will post more later in the appropriate thread.

Also: HOORAY!!! THANKS AGAIN Ben and Justin!

sperdynamite
28-Oct-2015, 10:46
Haha, I love it. If you want to go full Spielberg, you have to start with the reaction shot.

I think you could milk that for a full minute before you even show the box.

Haha the only thing that's holding me back is my general excitement to rip open the box as I would on X-Mas day. It's out for delivery now. Here we go!

Ben Syverson
28-Oct-2015, 12:32

OMG :eek: It fits!! Is the rear element really tight in the helical?

Happy to see that it arrived okay! And this is good to know.

Steve Goldstein
28-Oct-2015, 12:53
Bryan, why do you need the Technika-style lens board with the 90mm SAXL?

Corran
28-Oct-2015, 12:55
Yes, the rear element just fits perfectly into the "well" of the helical. However - this is only with the newer 90mm with the removable rear element "shroud" that protects the huge element otherwise (this is used to fit it into a Technika). So it won't work with older lenses.

Also, it's more retrofocal than the other 90mm lenses, so it focuses way past infinity. As it came, the TW helical was at 1.5 meters or so before it came into focus at infinity. Minimum focus distance was like 15 feet. The reason I have a Technika lensboard on top is I used that and a series adapter as an "extension" piece, which gave me a bit more leeway but still wasn't enough. I might could squeeze some more extension without modifying the camera by fooling around with other bits and pieces I have around. But it works as-is, just not for close focusing.

Does the "plate" on top of the helical come off? If so, some sort of small extension plate could be made.

Speaking of plates, I really need a Copal 0 flat plate. I don't want to drill out the existing one, yet.

Sorry, this is more about "using" the TW, so I'm going to cross-post to the other thread, and I hope we can leave this informative post for posterity?

Jim Cole
28-Oct-2015, 15:28

Cool! Mine was here when I got home from work. Still in the box...

Roger Cole
28-Oct-2015, 15:52
Mine arrive today too!

It will probably be the weekend before I have time to play with it so I probably won't one but and taunt myself until then. :)

RHITMrB
28-Oct-2015, 16:20
Anybody who pledged for two cameras get theirs yet?

pierre506
28-Oct-2015, 17:16
Anybody who pledged for two cameras get theirs yet?
I got three~

Kirk Fry
28-Oct-2015, 17:50
Mine just rolled in the door out here on the left coast. Now the fun begins. K

Tin Can
28-Oct-2015, 17:55
I got three~

I notice, you do try harder.

Good work!

RHITMrB
28-Oct-2015, 18:09
I got three~

Let me rephrase.

Any US backers who pledged for two cameras get theirs (or even a tracking number) yet?

Oren Grad
28-Oct-2015, 21:04
Just a reminder, we'll be moving all substantive discussion about setting up the camera to the "using and modifying" thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?125258-Using-and-Modifying-the-Travelwide-4x5-camera).

We'll leave this thread open for a bit longer as the delivery process still has a while to run.

Kirk Gittings
28-Oct-2015, 21:15
got mine in New Mexico today.

David Karp
28-Oct-2015, 21:31
Got mine today too. Thanks guys. I know it must be a burden off of your shoulders.

rfesk
29-Oct-2015, 04:01
Ben, having received and unpacked my camera I want to thank you again for your product. I personally think you did more than you needed to i.e. the extras.

ImSoNegative
29-Oct-2015, 07:40
I didn't buy one of these (yet) but have been following this thread for a while and must say, very cool camera and great to see everyone happy with it, congratulations to the fellows that came up with it and built it.

rdenney
29-Oct-2015, 07:51
The camera is being delivered. Other Kickstarter projects I've backed that have been held up, even in this thread, as paragons of good management have not yet made it to delivery.

Fact is, all the guys out there with production engineering experience, blah, blah, didn't undertake this project, or come up with the design, or carry it to completion. Furthermore, had they been persuaded to do so, the price would have been higher. It's not like a camera like this breaks any new ground technically--this should have been an easy project and an obvious extension of prior products, such as the Harman pinhole camera.

We should be grateful for amateurs who persist despite the judgements of experts and the setbacks they didn't then know how to avoid, and make things happen that would not have otherwise, just because of their commitment to an idea.

Rick "betting Ben has some 20-20 hindsight, too" Denney

Edited to delete references to what Oren deleted.

Kirk Gittings
29-Oct-2015, 08:20
The camera is being delivered. Other Kickstarter projects I've backed that have been held up, even in this thread, as paragons of good management have not yet made it to delivery.

Fact is, all the guys out there with production engineering experience, blah, blah, didn't undertake this project, or come up with the design, or carry it to completion. Furthermore, had they been persuaded to do so, the price would have been higher. It's not like a camera like this breaks any new ground technically--this should have been an easy project and an obvious extension of prior products, such as the Harman pinhole camera.

We should be grateful for amateurs who persist despite the judgements of experts and the setbacks they didn't then know how to avoid, and make things happen that would not have otherwise, just because of their commitment to an idea.

ditto

Tin Can
29-Oct-2015, 08:23
Good, Mods are united. :)

AuditorOne
29-Oct-2015, 09:08
Mine arrived yesterday. Lens installed and ready to go.

Thank you very much Ben and Justin. This is a terrific idea and very, very simple. Love it.

David Aimone
29-Oct-2015, 10:35
Arrived today. Great design, looks like it will be a go-to camera when feeling wide-ish!

Kudos to the creators and all of us who waited it out: both sometimes gracefully, sometimes not so much.

HMG
29-Oct-2015, 11:17

As a former consultant, I heard a lot of consultant jokes. The one I liked best (and excuse the somewhat sexist nature) is "A consultant is someone who knows a hundred ways to make love to a woman, but doesn't have a girlfriend". These guys delivered late, but they delivered. And more than initially promised.

BTMarcais
29-Oct-2015, 11:37
Got mine yesterday, set up the focus today. Time to go shoot a few!
-Brian

Drew Bedo
29-Oct-2015, 12:46
There will be plenty of opportunity for third-party add-ons or modifications when every one has gotten theie TW..Already there are suggestions about using alternate pqack film and roll film backs. A way to mount and remove the GG spring back from a Speed Graphic might be convenient to use (adds weight though).

What about an add-on extension for 5x7? What about focusing scale stick on labels or decals?

The door is wide open for design/production wizards to walk in and "Giterdun!"

Steve Pitchford
29-Oct-2015, 15:07
Hey, Plywood, Jim & Kellog,

I received my notification email for shipment on Oct 24, with a tracking number that did not execute. But the 24th was a Saturday, on Monday the number was good.
I received my camera yesterday. I couldn't believe how lite it felt. I haven't had time to set it up, but the helicoil felt good, not too tight. My only complaint is the raised distance numbers on the camera base are very tiny and difficult to read. In low light it would be impossible; they need to be heat stamped in white.

Like sand thru an hourglass so have been the days of our life. I've enjoyed this blog, (and this soap opera adventure), and I think anyone who didn't follow along is the poorer for not doing it.

I look forwarding to seeing thousands of photos and hearing more about the adventures of the Wanderlust camera.

Happy trails to all,
Spitchford

Roger Thoms
29-Oct-2015, 15:16
I've followed this thread from day one and just wanted to say how cool it is that the cameras are shipping. Sure it took some time but to have a finished product is just great. So many ideas never get off the ground.

Roger

koh303
29-Oct-2015, 19:27

+1
Too true.

ckagy
30-Oct-2015, 05:58
Does anyone know an approximate f ratio for the pinwide cap mounted on the 90mm travelwide body? Mine arrived Tuesday and I'm psyched to start playing but I'd like to be able to ballpark some exposure times.

Congrats to the travelwide team!

-Chris

rdenney
30-Oct-2015, 06:26
Does anyone know an approximate f ratio for the pinwide cap mounted on the 90mm travelwide body? Mine arrived Tuesday and I'm psyched to start playing but I'd like to be able to ballpark some exposure times.

Congrats to the travelwide team!

-Chris

From their instruction sheet: f/293 at minimum extension, f/346 at full extension, and f/205 when converted for the 65mm lens.

Rick "http://wanderlustcameras.com/downloads/travelwide/travelwide90-instructions.pdf" Denney

ckagy
30-Oct-2015, 06:29
From their instruction sheet: f/293 at minimum extension, f/346 at full extension, and f/205 when converted for the 65mm lens.

Rick "http://wanderlustcameras.com/downloads/travelwide/travelwide90-instructions.pdf" Denney

Thanks, Rick!

Winger
30-Oct-2015, 09:48
Woo hoo! Mine came today. I can only guess that the post office took the original ship date and expected delivery date as set in stone with mine. It didn't start tracking until Wed (and in MD, not Chicago) and it arrived today. I may try it out with the pinhole first, but I can't wait until the weather is worth shooting with it! (it's grey and cold today and a bit windy - supposed to warm up next week)

Thank you, Ben and Justin for sticking with it!!!!

rdenney
30-Oct-2015, 22:10

Finally got home to play with the TW90--the 65 is in a later batch. Tiny little Graflex-labelled Wollensak Raptar WA, and a very nicely made and also tiny old Voigtlander rangefinder. The cheapie Russian turret finder is perfect for the 90, using the viewing lens for a 28mm lens.

I smeared some silver paint on the numbers--not neatly but who cares? I can read them now.

A Fuji QuicLoad holder fits perfectly.

Rick "off again and testing will have to wait" Denney

David Aimone
2-Nov-2015, 17:32
Where was it left with a better ground glass for the Travelwide. Was this abandoned in favor of the calibration screen shipped with the camera? Will there be an option offered at some point?

Corran
2-Nov-2015, 22:40
I'm finally home from a long vacation and happy to report I shot about 15 sheets with the TW. I hope the calibration was right... :)

I would definitely pay for a better GG (a more typical one which you can see and compose on).

Drew Bedo
3-Nov-2015, 11:07
Corran: See the Using and Modifying thread.

Kuzano
3-Nov-2015, 11:56

A Fuji QuicLoad holder fits perfectly.

YES!!! Thank You.;)

sperdynamite
14-Nov-2015, 16:51
Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AP79jojIYA

Ben Syverson
14-Nov-2015, 19:37
Enjoy!

SO… AWESOME.

And Mark is now officially the Spielberg of LF unboxing videos.

Tin Can
14-Nov-2015, 22:44
SO… AWESOME.

And Mark is now officially the Spielberg of LF unboxing videos.

Mark invented the Ground Glass effect for obscuring address focus.

Drew Bedo
15-Nov-2015, 06:19
I liked the use of what looks like a sewing cutting mat for the background. Not quite a green-screen.

Andrew O'Neill
15-Nov-2015, 13:04
Heading into Vancouver today with 6 holders of HP5, incident metre, and Travelwide. It all fits into a shoulder bag. The wife is coming along, too... so this should be the perfect outfit for walk-by shooting.

BarryS
15-Nov-2015, 13:04
Enjoy!

I think you have a career in making 1950’s training films if you can ever find a time machine.

Kuzano
16-Nov-2015, 12:07
Nice, and thank you, but don't take that knife to a gunfight, OR to a knife fight, either.

But thanks for the vid. I just received my shipping notice/tracking yesterday. I'll sharpen my knife, and thaw out some film... Quickloads!

jackies
16-Nov-2015, 12:48
Can't wait to get my TW. . . . .I am getting anxious now. . .. . .

Andrew O'Neill
18-Nov-2015, 13:21
Had a nice time wandering around Vancouver with mine over the weekend. Learnt a lot about how to better handle the camera for next time. A neckstrap is one, and a better shoulder bag.

ckagy
18-Nov-2015, 18:58
I took mine out to a wooded park over the weekend and shot some pinhole images. SO light and easy to use. Just need to make time to develop the film now...

rdenney
20-Nov-2015, 20:18
Ben, where do we stand on KS shipments?

Rick "still expecting a 65 through his wife's KS account" Denney

Kuzano
20-Nov-2015, 21:07
Received my double set yesterday. Thank You!!! Shipping was exceptionally FAST!
Chicago to my PO in Central Oregon.. 3 days. Now where did I put that lens?

Roger Thoms
20-Nov-2015, 23:57
Kuzano, what your backer number if you don't mind me asking. I'm about 750, and curious where they are in the numbers. I do realize that they aren't going in exact order, rather roughly in order.

Not that I'm in any hurry. I'm going to be in Flagstaff for the next month, then up to Oregon for Christmas. I've got 2 Nikons, a Rolleiflex, and my 2D 8x10 packed and ready to go. I think I'll be ok.

Roger

Kuzano
21-Nov-2015, 10:35
347, and mine was a double box, sent to Oregon. Left Chicago three days before it arrived. Hope that helps.

Roger Thoms
21-Nov-2015, 11:35
Cool, Thanks, looks like I'm still a long ways out.

Roger

Steve Pitchford
21-Nov-2015, 12:01
1.To Ben, Oren Grad, Randy Moe, Kellog & et al. First of all let me say congratulations to Ben` and Justin for very successfully completing this long journey testing your patience, tenacity, and perseverance . I hope it's your spring board to life.

When I first heard of the complication with the ground glass screen I wasn't surprised. I once worked for a tech company and plastic bezels were in my domain. Getting short runs to match was difficult and even longer runs could go crazy if the hoppers had to be refilled or the heat got out of control. We had our best luck with the Duralith company out of Millville, NJ. They showed us the most and best samples but always seemed to have trouble reproducing them. It's like playing horse shoes. You can get close.

If you are going to be a true P&S person and shoot from the hip don't bother with the below discussion.

At first I thought, no problem I'll just buy a GG and drop it in. That was before two things happened: 1, I received the TW calibration screen and saw its multi-sided/shaped & dimensions. 2, In January of this year I lost an eye due to melanoma cancer and my good eye isn't that good. I don't see well into the dark and my depth perception is poor.

So, no drop in GG, and I was really liking the one from Deardorf. Instead I'm going to cut an opening in the TW calibration screen and fit in an acrylic GG to regain brightness and ease of focus. There are three obvious questions: Where do I cut the opening in the TW Screen and how do I cut it and what size do I cut it to. Of course each question begs a clutch of follow up questions such as, are the TW plastic and the Acrylic GG the same thickness? Can they be bonded with glue or require a mechanical attachment?

This is the point where I beg Ben, the forum members and the brotherhood of TW owners for ideas and help with this modification. I have made a list of questions for Ben that might help the process.

I intend to blog this request here and on the NEW Thread started by Oren Grad & Randy Moe, titled "Using and Modifying the TravelWide Camera". Thanks to them as this form thread is soon to close. And an email to Ben.

1.What type of plastic is the TW focusing screen made from? Is it a high temp melt like polycarbonate or a low temp melt like Styrene? What is the mold temp? This will help in my tools choices.
2.Is there a datum point that measurements can be taken from? If not are the knock out pin marks symmetrical and equally spaced? What is that on center spacing?
3. Is there a film position offset left or right? Where is the exact placement on the TW screen the film should line up to? I know it should mimic a film holder's location.
4.What is the plastic thickness of the screen frame walls? I measured them from 6 locations on 3 sides, (the curved wall could not be used), and averaged those measurements out to 2.48 mm. The curved end wall varied between 2.86 & 3.05mm. All measurements were taken with calipers I purchased at Harbor Freight (possibly not accurate).
5.Is the screen panel portion the same thickness as the walls or different? If different, what is the thickness of the screen portion? I measured the depth at the same locations, first from the viewing side and then to the film side, from the top of the walls to the viewing panel surface. They were, TL 6.12mm & TR 6.35, and BL 6.19mm &BR6.21, and averaged 6.21mm. The film side, the most important side were, BL(TL) 4.82 & BR(TR) 4.76mm, BR(TR) 5.21mm & 5.31which averaged 5.02mm. Subtracting the average depth numbers from the total wall height of 13.15 leaves 1.92mm thick for the focusing panel? Is it? It would seem it is also about 1mm out of plane. Probably my eye.
6.I noticed the screen placement panel is not equally set, up or down, in the walls around its perimeter. Wall height around the outside perimeter dim. is 13.15mm on 3 sides.. I measured 4.76-5.31mm from the film emulsion side to the top of wall film side. Average, about 5.05mm. What is the correct offset?
7.All these dimensions should be on the pre-mold drawings. I realize some of the questions seem like duplicates asking for the same answer, and they are. I want to make sure we're on the same page and that other TW owners might understand what I'm asking for.
8.Please correct me on any mis-measurements!
9.Also, will any TW focusing screens be available in case I screw this one up.

I mentioned above that I liked the Deardorf GG, it's great quality for $60,00, but as soon as I received my TW I re-thought it. The camera is so lite it almost floats out of your hands, so I found a very durable acrylic GG from Bohemastudio in Lodz, Poland thru ebay.com. He custom cuts to size and makes grid lines and non-grid GGs. I think cutting the GG 5mm over film size on all sides might be a good size. He does business thru ebay so look for him there. I'll be messaging him soon.

Happy trails, & thankgivings

drew.saunders
21-Nov-2015, 12:21
I'm #454, I pledged for one of each, shipped 11/15, arrived thursday the 19th. I have the older Schneider 65/8 and 90/6.8 for which these were designed, and have just spent this morning calibrating the focus on the 90 (5m focus was much easier to calibrate than infinity), and testing shims on the 65 (didn't need any after all). All in all, I'm very impressed with the cameras and hope to get some shots in this weekend.

Steve Pitchford
21-Nov-2015, 13:41
I took mine out to a wooded park over the weekend and shot some pinhole images. SO light and easy to use. Just need to make time to develop the film now...
Sounds relaxing. Did you meter the scenes ? Record your exposure? Looking forward to seeing them.

Happy trails,
SteveP

thereisnocat
21-Nov-2015, 15:07
Sounds like I still have a while to wait; didn't get in on the Kickstarter, but was early in the pre-orders.

Maybe by Christmas, I hope....

Ben Syverson
21-Nov-2015, 17:39
We're going in order, but broken up by product groups and Domestic/International. So some orders above 1000 have shipped, and some orders under 100 have yet to ship. With that said, we only have 62 left out of 930 backers!

Roger, I believe your label was printed today. It should go out sometime this week!

HMG
21-Nov-2015, 19:11
I'm in the 800s; just got my ship notice: "scheduled to ship on 11/25/2015".

Tim Meisburger
21-Nov-2015, 20:21
I still have not heard anything, but I was 980 or something.

Michael_qrt
22-Nov-2015, 03:12
I just got my shipping notice so I'm pretty excited. I'm backer #660.

Roger Thoms
22-Nov-2015, 09:26
Received my shipping notice yesterday, backer #737, of course I was 300 miles from home headed to Flagstaff, won't be back to SF till Dec. 18th. :) Cool though, I have the camera for Christmas, which is a two week road trip to Oregon. Will definitely shoot some 4x5 on that trip.

Roger

Larry Gebhardt
22-Nov-2015, 19:02
Got my double set two days ago, and I think two days after it shipped. USPS really does seem to have fast shipping. Pulled my 90mm Angulon out of the drawer and fired it a few times. Right after mounting cocked the shutter and now it won't fire. I think it felt like I pushed it a little further than I had in the past, and it seems like I have a missing self timer button. I guess it's time to send it off for repair. 2 years of waiting and I break my lens in the first 5 minutes. At least the 65mm seems to be still working. Hopefully I'll get some shots with it soon.

plywood
22-Nov-2015, 20:14
My 90 also sat in the camera drawer for two years but seems to fine although I took it out every few weeks and fired the shutter on all speeds. At any rate I have a 130mm f7.7 Kodak lens that will work with an extension back as a backup to the Angulon. Shoestring 4X5, the Kodak was free and I probably spent no more than $15 on the extension back.

Drew Bedo
26-Nov-2015, 17:58
Bought a TW from a founding supporter . . .and the anticipation is killing me.

kyle carter
27-Nov-2015, 08:18
I was backer 8xx and received mine Wednesday.

Drew Bedo
27-Nov-2015, 19:46
I have purchased a TW privately from a founding supporter. Now the fun begins. Eventually I'd like to get another body to mount to a small telescope, so I'll be back in the market a bit later.

cheers to all!

sperdynamite
1-Dec-2015, 07:49
https://youtu.be/6kgkDRgsuRo

Here is my 2nd video on calibrating the TW. Probably not useful for LFPF readers but I thought it would be helpful for those new to 4x5.

Drew Bedo
1-Dec-2015, 09:15
Nice dog, good video too. And what a view you must have. The TW should be great for grab shots on the street. With the camera hanging from your neck in landscape orientation, unobtrusive candidscandids on the streets should be a snap (couldn't help that one).

The shooting posture will be nonaggressive and the shutter noise un-noticible outside. The 90 stopped down will keep it all in if you are willing to crop a bit.

ImSoNegative
1-Dec-2015, 17:12
Bought a TW from a founding supporter . . .and the anticipation is killing me.

I too bought one from a founding supporter, should be here in a couple of days, I got the notice that is shipped today, really looking forward to putting this thing to use.

Nigel Smith
2-Dec-2015, 05:42
The TW should be great for grab shots on the street.

Sitting on a bench watching the world go by...

mdarnton
12-Dec-2015, 14:03
Have ALL shipped now, both original and later orders?

Oren Grad
12-Dec-2015, 14:21
Have ALL shipped now, both original and later orders?

From the comment stream on the KS project page, the answer appears to be "no". I haven't received mine yet.

mdarnton
12-Dec-2015, 14:56
Thanks.

Tim Meisburger
12-Dec-2015, 20:47
I also have not received mine, or a notification.

Andrew O'Neill
14-Dec-2015, 13:28
Has anyone used theirs to take pinholes?

Tin Can
14-Dec-2015, 13:33
Has anyone used theirs to take pinholes?

I gotta find the pinhole first, but I will as soon as I find it...

I think it's in a one meter conical pile.

Wish it would snow here!

Found it!

jackies
16-Dec-2015, 13:47
All I want for Christmas is my new Wanderlust, my new Wanderlust, my new Wanderlust camera!!

Steve Pitchford
16-Dec-2015, 13:59
Randy,
A one meter pile? Really!? I use old military foot lockers, they're so much neater. They hold alot and you can slide them from spot to spot without digging inside. I haven't used my pinhole yet either, Keep hoping somebody will post an exposure chart for times and light intensities. I have a friend with a homemade wooden 4x5 pinhole camera. He keeps a chart taped to the top of his camera, does a quick light meter check and walks away, (leaving camera on tripod of course). His pinhole f/stop is different than the Wanderlust so I can't use it. Maybe Ben or Justin have something worked out? Help.

Happy trails,
SteveP

Tin Can
16-Dec-2015, 14:19
What is the Wanderdust pinhole f stop?

Jim Becia
16-Dec-2015, 14:24
What is the Wanderdust pinhole f stop?

Randy,

I don't have the paper in front of me, but I recall it to be a .3125 mm hole so with the 90 it basically is f288.

bish0p
16-Dec-2015, 14:29
I got mine, about two weeks ago. I'm getting acquainted with it.

Tin Can
16-Dec-2015, 14:47
Randy,

I don't have the paper in front of me, but I recall it to be a .3125 mm hole so with the 90 it basically is f288.

Thanks Jim!

Jon Shiu
16-Dec-2015, 14:52
paper says f/283 at helical fully retracted (90mm)
f/346 with helical fully extended (110mm)
f/205 with 65mm mount

Jon

Tin Can
16-Dec-2015, 14:58
paper says f/283 at helical fully retracted (90mm)
f/346 with helical fully extended (110mm)
f/205 with 65mm mount

Jon

Even better. Will make label,

jackies
16-Dec-2015, 15:11
There is an app for that.. . .Pinhole Assist or Pinhole Exposure calculator (on iphone)

Tin Can
16-Dec-2015, 15:14
There is an app for that.. . .Pinhole Assist (on iphone)

We still need the size. I will check the app. Thanks!

Jon Shiu
16-Dec-2015, 17:01
0.3175mm

Tin Can
16-Dec-2015, 17:20
0.3175mm

Jon, that is simply too coarse, I need at least 6 more significant decimal figures! :)

Tim Meisburger
20-Dec-2015, 17:39
Any word on when the rest of the cameras will ship? I feel I must be the last person on the list.:(

jackies
22-Dec-2015, 08:38
Any word on when the rest of the cameras will ship? I feel I must be the last person on the list.:(

Hey Tim. . . I am standing there with you. :(

RHITMrB
22-Dec-2015, 08:57

When they feel like it.

Oren Grad
22-Dec-2015, 09:45
Seen a moment ago on the KS comment thread:

Creator Wanderlust Cameras about 1 hour ago

@Paul—Your order will go out soon! We're shipping the final Kickstarter rewards shortly.

Drew Bedo
5-Jan-2016, 14:59
If you just have to get one of these right now, there is one available on the suction site for something over $200!

MOZ
8-Jan-2016, 09:00
We're shipping the final Kickstarter

Hope it should be ended soon as I'm still waiting for my order just made right after the kickstarter closed.
It's been a long time now, would be nice to get it not so far in the futur :confused:

jackies
9-Jan-2016, 08:45
I know. I need mine too. Hopefully in the next 3 weeks. I need it then.

Tim Meisburger
20-Jan-2016, 18:41
No word for a month. Hope everything is okay.

mdarnton
20-Jan-2016, 18:49
I got a shipping notice on Saturday, but the PO says they haven't seen the package yet (often I get things delivered before the PO even admits they have received them, so I don't take any of this too seriously). I was wondering if I'd been missed, but I guess they're still plowing through the list. I was a very late buyer, after they reopened sales. I wonder how many they still have to ship. . . .

Tim Meisburger
20-Jan-2016, 19:00
Well, I'm overseas. I had originally asked them to ship to my office in San Francisco, as I was going to be there in the summer of 14, and of 15. but after it didn't arrive last year before my trip I switched to shipping to Bangkok and sent an additional $40 to cover that. But I have never received any acknowledgement they received the money (although it was paid out) or shipping notice. Its possible changing my address dropped me to the end of the list, but its worrying that I have no idea what is going on.

jackies
21-Jan-2016, 07:36
I am one of the latecomers,too, ordering in 04/14. Still waiting. We are in line, I believe. . . .

Drew Bedo
22-Jan-2016, 12:55
Just got the latest issue of View Camera magazine, the July-August 2015 issue. When will someone do a review of the TW? View Camera is the best place for a review and story on how it came to be.

RHITMrB
22-Jan-2016, 14:32
No word for a month. Hope everything is okay.

Well, remember that "we're shipping the final Kickstarter rewards shortly" is likely to mean "sometime in 2016, maybe, you hope" when it comes to this project.

jackies
24-Jan-2016, 20:40
Wahoo!! Just received a notice that my WL camera will be shipped this week!!!

I am psyched now. . .

thereisnocat
25-Jan-2016, 05:23
Me too. Shipping on January 28. First time I've seen my backing number, 2160.

jackies
25-Jan-2016, 09:10
I just noticed my backing number - #2191

Drew Bedo
26-Jan-2016, 07:01
What is the total sold? I know its in this thread, but missed it.

What is the total for the initial $99 founders and what is the number for the $149 pre-order group?

jackies
26-Jan-2016, 12:41
I was a johnny come lately as I missed the kickstarter. So I was in the preorder group

mdarnton
26-Jan-2016, 13:40
I have mine now. It came yesterday. it appears that it took a week for them to get the boxes to the PO after the shipping notice was generated. Then I got the camera itself very quickly. It's wearing my Wolly 90 right now, but no pix yet. Everything seems to work fine.

Tim Meisburger
26-Jan-2016, 16:41
I was 915 or something like that and still have no notice, but I changed my address to overseas. It was at my head office in California because I thought I could pick it up there last summer. Ha. At this rate I may move back to the US before they ever ship it.

Roger Thoms
27-Jan-2016, 08:43
Tim, have you contacted Ben directly? I don't think he is following this thread anymore, which is a shame. Looks like you can email and pm him through the forum.

Roger

Fred L
27-Jan-2016, 19:50
got shipping notice today !!! WooT !! I was backer #2029 fwiw

Tim Meisburger
27-Jan-2016, 21:31
Well, they are still shipping, I guess, and they did say once that they would do foreign orders last, so maybe I just have to wait...

Jon Shiu
27-Jan-2016, 21:48
Well, they are still shipping, I guess, and they did say once that they would do foreign orders last, so maybe I just have to wait...
They shipped foreign orders first. Also, you can contact them through their website: https://wanderlustcameras.com/

Jon

Tim Meisburger
27-Jan-2016, 22:16
Okay, I just sent them another email. But I have tried before and never received any response.

Tim Meisburger
27-Jan-2016, 22:19
I also tweeted to them, and have posted here and on the comments section of the kickstarter. No response or comment on any of them.

MOZ
28-Jan-2016, 03:13
Hi,

I ordered mine a few weeks after the kickstarter was off, so I had to wait all the kickstarter backers were served before getting a chance to have mine sent.
Today I got mail, I'm backer #2025 and it seems my travelwide will be on its way to Canada in a few days (next tuesday).
That should give hope to all other people waiting...

David Aimone
29-Jan-2016, 18:48
Any word on a ground glass for focusing in the field?

Having been following the thread here lately.

Chauncey Walden
29-Jan-2016, 19:32
I figure the scale focusing will be fine when I go to the 90 but I am working on a simple mod to the plastic for composing on a tripod. Will post in the mod thread when and if I am satisfied with it.

RHITMrB
30-Jan-2016, 08:36

They had done a batch of foreign cameras first, if you remember. Or are you not a KS backer?

Either way, I'd recommend being persistent and annoying. Ben seems to be a prideful man and responds particularly well (in the sense of provoking a response that will eventually get you information) to public suggestions that the project was executed poorly. I used Twitter to do this and it worked for me! Good luck.

Tim Meisburger
30-Jan-2016, 16:50
Yes, I'm a backer. Anyway, I sent several emails asking for information; and then posted everywhere, including on the comments of the Kickstarter, and he replied to someone else who asked a technical question, but not to me. I assume he doesn't want to answer questions about shipping, but at this point I'm beginning to think I lost my money.

plywood
31-Jan-2016, 13:08
Yes, I'm a backer. Anyway, I sent several emails asking for information; and then posted everywhere, including on the comments of the Kickstarter, and he replied to someone else who asked a technical question, but not to me. I assume he doesn't want to answer questions about shipping, but at this point I'm beginning to think I lost my money.
Most of us backers have never met Ben and Justin in person (and don't seem likely to) but from all accounts from those backers who have they seem like decent folks. Because of that its just a puzzle why they won't answer your specific, and it seems, quite reasonable questions, either through your private e-mail or on a public forum. After all, the comments section of the KS page says that it is there, in part,..."to ask questions". I received my TW90 in late October, and after a bit of clean up work on the helical, I'd say that for the pledge amount it is a great bargain. I applaud them from sticking with the project even though it drained their own savings. That said I just cannot figure out why they would continue to stonewall the last few backers.

mdarnton
31-Jan-2016, 13:31
If I had 3000 cameras to assemble and pack, and was perhaps a bit embarrassed about the time it was taking, I might chose to limit my exposure and concentrate on getting the job done. Who of us has not been behind schedule on a job and done our best to avoid the single person it was for? Now magnify that by 3000, and what do you think?

RHITMrB
31-Jan-2016, 13:35
If I had 3000 cameras to assemble and pack, and was perhaps a bit embarrassed about the time it was taking, I might chose to limit my exposure and concentrate on getting the job done. Who of us has not been behind schedule on a job and done our best to avoid the single person it was for? Now magnify that by 3000, and what do you think?

Sure doesn't seem like they've been concentrating on getting the job done, either.

mdarnton
31-Jan-2016, 15:09
You've been there watching? I haven't, so I don't really know. How long do you think it would take you to assemble, pack, and ship your share, say 1500 cameras, while holding down a full time job outside of that?

plywood
31-Jan-2016, 15:26

Well actually that's 1500 units (provided all the parts were within spec and could be assembled into working cameras). Just last week they took the time to answer a technical question posted in the KS comments section so while sitting at the keyboard why not take another couple of minutes to answer Tim's question? To quote Pete Hogwallop in the movie "O Brother Where art thou?", 'That....don't make no sense'.

RHITMrB
31-Jan-2016, 15:49
You've been there watching? I haven't, so I don't really know. How long do you think it would take you to assemble, pack, and ship your share, say 1500 cameras, while holding down a full time job outside of that?

Yes, I have been watching. (edit: maybe this isn't what you were actually asking, but I've been following this thread, the Kickstarter comments/updates, and so on, closely.)

As I understand it, there's about 1500 cameras total, so let's say my share is 750 cameras. (We'll ignore the fact that they said they had a "team" doing assembly.) They mentioned that it takes "well under 5 minutes" (Ben's words) to assemble and pack each camera, so let's be generous and say 5 minutes apiece, which is 3750 minutes. That's 62.5 hours. Let's be generous again and assume that I have a lot of other stuff to do on my weekends, so let's say I can devote only 6 hours each weekend to working on this. That's 11 weekends (rounding up), which is about 3 months. They've had assembled cameras since at least August 23rd (the Chicago pick-up party) so let's be generous again and count only since then. That's still 5 months. So even being extremely generous with our estimates, it's still taking almost twice as long as it should!

Winger
31-Jan-2016, 19:47
Justin posted a picture of "the last cameras to be shipped" on his instagram account. Here's the text for those who don't do Instagram:

justinlundquist: Finally!! So happy right now. After years of hard work, long delays, and loads of stress @bensyverson & I packed the last of the outstanding orders for the Travelwide Camera. As of now these are in the mail!

Tim Meisburger
31-Jan-2016, 19:52
:(:(:(

mdarnton
31-Jan-2016, 20:09
You never got a shipping notice, right?

Tim Meisburger
31-Jan-2016, 20:18
No. No shipping notice. No acknowledgement of change of address. Nothing at all.

Tim Meisburger
31-Jan-2016, 20:30
So, I checked again. I am 994 out of 1026 backers, so pretty close to the end.

mdarnton
31-Jan-2016, 20:34
So you should have had yours quite a while ago! I was something like 2256 or so and got mine last week.
Bummer.
I hope they pay attention to all this.

jackies
2-Feb-2016, 11:06
Well, I am a happy camper. Received my WL on Monday. . . :)

Drew Bedo
2-Feb-2016, 13:37
There is one on e-bay right now.

thereisnocat
3-Feb-2016, 04:57
Got mine yesterday. Finally! I've got the lens mounted on it (an Angulon made in 1937), but I'm not going to have a chance to do the focus calibration for a couple of days. So no chance to use it yet. Looking forward to it, though. I took my Intrepid into work on Monday and spent some time at lunch time wandering around Greenwich Village and shot a couple of pictures, but it was fairly unwieldy for that compared to the Travelwide.

Tim Meisburger
8-Feb-2016, 18:17
Does anyone know if there is a way to contact Wanderlust? Through Kickstarter maybe? Its getting like Barry Cochran; order camera, pay money, no camera, no communication... I have sent a dozen emails and commented here and on Kickstarter since October last year and still no response at all.

RHITMrB
8-Feb-2016, 19:35
Does anyone know if there is a way to contact Wanderlust? Through Kickstarter maybe? Its getting like Barry Cochran; order camera, pay money, no camera, no communication... I have sent a dozen emails and commented here and on Kickstarter since October last year and still no response at all.

As I suggested, call them out publicly as possible, say, on Twitter. This forum doesn't get enough eyeballs to be effective as a tool of shame.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

jackies
8-Feb-2016, 20:19
Tim,

When I originally ordered - after the kickstarter was over - I contacted Ben Syverson via email at info@wanderlustcameras.com. He wrote back a couple of times. I guess you could try that if you haven't. I am sure you are beside yourself at this point. So frustrating for you.

Good luck,
Jackie

Drew Bedo
9-Feb-2016, 06:33
A lot of complaining in this thread lately—most of it is justified. One would think that all TravelWide cameras could have been delivered by the good folks at Wanderlust by now (Feb 2016) having started shipping in , what was it . . .October or November?

Yet the above comparison to the Cochran Deardorffs is not quite right either. One of the Phantom-Dorffs involves the commitment of thousands of dollars, while the most anyone has committed in a single TravelWide is ~$150—shipped. Sure, those of us who still have not gotten our expected (and paid-for) gear can make a big deal out of it online, but is that juice worth the squeeze?

In mid December of 2015, I bought a TravelWide from a founding supporter who had two. There have been several sold on e-Bay and here through the LFP For Sale forum. There are TWO available on e-Bay right now. One is as-shipped and the other has a lens mounted. If what you want is a lightweight P&S 4x5 RIGHT NOW, the options are there and the cost is pretty low for this LF niche of photography. Buy one now and use it. When (ever) the camera that you've paid for comes, you can turn it over in about 48 hours and make your money back, maybe more.

If, on the other hand, you just want to make an issue out of this, please take the time to evaluate whether the effort is worth the expected result.

mdarnton
9-Feb-2016, 07:02
Tim's complaint is that they've said shipping is over, and that everyone's been notified theirs is on the way. . . .and he hasn't. I think he's been skipped, and is justified in getting ruffled, since they aren't responding to his issue.

wrieselbach
14-Feb-2016, 09:15
Aside from the issue of somebody not receiving their pre-order, are these available on the open market? Not in stores yet, I know, but are they available anywhere? Or have they gone the way of so many other kickstarter campaigns and dissolved as soon as the pre-orders were shipped?

Andrew O'Neill
14-Feb-2016, 12:43
After all that they've been through, they're probably laying on a beach somewhere in the world, far, far away...

Tim Meisburger
14-Feb-2016, 17:33
Seems like they are gone.

wrieselbach
14-Feb-2016, 18:04
Damn! Wanted one, and only found out about them a couple of weeks ago. Maybe I'll have to hack a Harman Titan or something.

Tin Can
14-Feb-2016, 18:42
Seems like they are gone.

I am disappointed also. I had hoped Tim would have gotten satisfaction one way or another by now.

I could find Ben, but then what?

May as well shut down this thread.

Tim Meisburger
14-Feb-2016, 19:00
Maybe you can call them? They live in Chicago, right?

Tin Can
14-Feb-2016, 23:04
Maybe you can call them? They live in Chicago, right?

With cell phones which is all anyone here uses, it's difficult to get the number.

I was in their factory/warehouse when I got mine. But that is likely closed up as it was a small rental space in a big almost empty building. First stop is the second hand store in that building.

The FB and Bar grapevine also may shake them out.

I will start looking, but it will be a slow process until it warms up.

Your background and reputation lets me know you are not the problem, they are.

I do my research. Always. I'll let you know if I discover anything.

This will be my last post here about this. I will contact you in the future by PM.

dave_whatever
15-Feb-2016, 01:31
Try hitting Ben up on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/bensyverson

Fred L
15-Feb-2016, 10:12
for the Canuckleheads who have gotten theirs, did they ship USPS, UPS, FedEx or something else ? Tracking says Globelogisitics, something I'm not familiar with.

and Tim, I hope it's just a comms hiccup and your camera is actually on the way !

tia

Tim Meisburger
15-Feb-2016, 13:10
Thank you everyone. I did try twitter and got an email overnight from Ben saying that their service didn't ship to Thailand, but that this week they will take my and a few other unusual rewards still left and send from the post office, so this seems settled. Thank you all again for your advice.

Best, Tim

Tin Can
15-Feb-2016, 13:16
Thank you everyone. I did try twitter and got an email overnight from Ben saying that their service didn't ship to Thailand, but that this week they will take my and a few other unusual rewards still left and send from the post office, so this seems settled. Thank you all again for your advice.

Best, Tim

Wonderful news!

Peter De Smidt
15-Feb-2016, 15:36
That's great! I was hoping it was something along those lines.

Roger Cole
15-Feb-2016, 20:32
Me too. They've struck me as up and up guys, a little busy sometimes (and that's totally understandable taking on a project like this while holding regular jobs!) but good folks.

Drew Bedo
16-Feb-2016, 06:32
So when this last batch shipps, will that be all of the paid-for cameras? Will this project be closed?

Andrew O'Neill
17-Feb-2016, 11:44
Mine came via Globalistics, and then Canada Post, if I recall. Once I received notice that it had been shipped, it seemed to sit in Illinois for ages, and then magically showed up at my local postal outlet.

Fred L
17-Feb-2016, 16:54
Mine came via Globalistics, and then Canada Post, if I recall. Once I received notice that it had been shipped, it seemed to sit in Illinois for ages, and then magically showed up at my local postal outlet.

thanks Andrew. tracking shows it vacationing at Globegisitics as well. arrived there Jan 28.

Andrew O'Neill
17-Feb-2016, 21:04
You will get it. Eventually!

Fred L
18-Feb-2016, 08:37
yeah, not too worried. I think I'll be taking this camera out for WorldWide Pinhole Photography Day (http://pinholeday.org) this April

Fred L
2-Mar-2016, 16:42
Got my Wanderlust today ! The box was so light I was wondering if indeed the camera was inside ;) The camera is much lighter than I fought it'd be which will be great for walking around. The gg is not bad but only took a quick look in the dining room. I could see an image so that's a good start. Put the Angulon on but will need to tighten it up with a lens wrench. Also need to find the right length cable release as I see using that more than finger triggering.

Will try and shoot some images with the pinhole as well.

Roger Cole
3-Mar-2016, 00:59
I bet once you try to use it you will find the GG is indeed pretty bad. ;) Even for just setting focus it is barely usable, but that's good enough

Have fun!

Valdecus
5-Mar-2016, 02:22
Finally! 35 months after pledging, the cameras finally arrived. Having already calibrated focus on the TW90, I'll go shooting some film later today.

Travelwide 90 with Schneider Super-Angulon 8/90mm, Voigtlaender finder 21mm and RRS camera plate.

Cheers
Andrew

http://www.waldeck.com/img_aphog/AW_20160304XT1_3421_Wanderlust_Travelwide_90_sm.jpg

Tim Meisburger
5-Mar-2016, 03:01
Good to hear. I was told three weeks ago that mine would ship that week, but I still have not received any shipping notice. I don't know if they shipped it and didn't inform me, or it hasn't shipped yet. I wrote an email after two weeks, but no response yet. But since you got yours, maybe mine will arrive soon!

Tim Meisburger
16-Mar-2016, 14:48
Been a month now with no word....

Fred L
16-Mar-2016, 18:05
hold steady Tim. Mine took about a month or so to arrive. tracking was stalled for a long time but then bam, it updated and arrived. was nervous tbh ;)

Tim Meisburger
16-Mar-2016, 18:40
Well, there can be no tracking because I've never received notification of shipment. If I had that I would be fine. Or even just an email saying it had been shipped, without tracking info. What I don't have is any communication at all.

Tim Meisburger
22-Mar-2016, 17:22
Five weeks ago I had an email from Ben saying he was sorry it had been so long and that my camera would finally be shipped that week. Since then no word, nor reply to tweets or emails. I think the company has folded. I give up.

Steve Pitchford
23-Mar-2016, 13:19
It's all OK here. I buy and sell film camera's on eBay for fifteen years now, and I am buying and selling like crazy. Not only do I have other camera's to shoot, but I have plenty of camera's to test shoot and clean up for sale. I made enough money last month to buy 20 travelwides on the new pricing for second run. I'll have to slow down to shoot the camera when the two I have coming arrive.

If not, I quess I'll just have to be satisfied to be making more money on my eBay listings. I'm patient.t

Hi Kuzano,

I was just reviewing old post on the TW blog for "fix it Up" ideas when I came across you're above entry. I just wanted to say I've been buying and selling cameras and lenses on ebay for two years and I haven't made a dime yet. Please share a few of your trade secrets with me. I was buying and fixing up certain cameras that could be resold, during the TW production process. Then I lost my right eye to cancer and all short range depth perception went with it, which meant no more tiny screws or wire soldering, and the realization that I was loosing money on repair work anyway. Also my growing personal collection of miniature 35mm view/ranger finder cameras was eating up the little profits I had made. It's so addicting! I promised my wife I would quit, the next I bought two more- a cannon QL17 and a Olympus RC35. Both had "untested" light meters that didn't work; ha ha. My new goal is to get back to shooting pictures and not repairing old cameras.

Any advice on buying and selling, without repairing, would be wonderful and carefully studied late at night.

P.S. I have three great 8x10 LF lenses for sale, a beautiful Bausch & Lomb Protar VII 23 1/4, 11 7/8, 65mm dia. matching series no's convertible in a factory set compound shutter. also, a Schneider Kreuznach Syrmmar-S, f5.6/ 210mm lens currently in a Sinar mount bd.,but will fit a Copal 1 shutter. Front element is 78mm, rear is 55mm big glass. And an Ilex No.3 Acme Sync. shutter, Paragon Anastigmat f4.5, 5 1/2 in. w/ filter exposure compensation. Clean & works no wear marks. I will soon be listing them. Any experience with LF lenses? Thanks, write when you can.

Happy trails,
SteveP

Drew Bedo
23-Mar-2016, 13:30
I used to get a table twice a year at the old Houston Camera Show. Had a ball buying and selling lower end stuff.

After one show I was going through the boxes and my wife asked me why I did all this but never seemed to make any money! I Fuzz-mumbled something, but did give it a bit of thought.

What I came up withI: If I brought home more stuff it was just"More damn cameras!", but if I had brought home a wad of hundred dollar bills . . .it was community property!

Oren Grad
23-Mar-2016, 14:00
Folks, let's keep this focused on the Travelwide, please. General discussion on buying/selling belongs elsewhere.

plywood
24-Mar-2016, 15:49
Don't know about anyone else but I'm following with interest to see if Tim Meisburger ever gets his camera. If it was me I'd be looking for a contact in Chicago to ask Ben, face to face, what's happened to the camera. There is also a person from NZ who on March 12 inquired about where her camera was. Don't think Wanderlust would ever be able to launch another KS campaign. The paucity of back and forth communication from their side and reluctance to answer direct questions from backers about unfulfilled rewards will remain a sore point for a long time.

Credit where credit is due. Ben and Justin stuck with this project long after lesser men would have given up and filed chapter 11 and I think the project was mostly successful, I really like my TW90 and think it is a wonderful example of simple but functional design.

But still......

Drew Bedo
24-Mar-2016, 16:41
If having a P&S 4x5 camera is what you want/need, then look on the FS/WTB forum here and on APUG . . .or go to e-Bay. Travel Wides have been coming up every week or so since shipping was announced. I misses out as a founder and missed the pre-order offering later, but snagged one in a private sale two weeks into December of last year.

These cameras are stull inexpensive at twice the price.

On the other hand, if one's mission in life is just making someone else do what they were supposed to do, then you should go into Law Enforcement or Education.

To quote Plywood above:

"Credit where credit is due. Ben and Justin stuck with this project long after lesser men would have given up and filed chapter 11 and I think the project was mostly successful, I really like my TW90 and think it is a wonderful example of simple but functional design."

I completely agree.

AuditorOne
27-Mar-2016, 13:05
To quote plywood; "Credit where credit is due. Ben and Justin stuck with this project long after lesser men would have given up and filed chapter 11 and I think the project was mostly successful, I really like my TW90 and think it is a wonderful example of simple but functional design."

I completely agree.

As do I. This has become one of my all time favorite cameras and it would never have happened without their persistence.

I do however hope that all the cameras get to all the people who were supposed to get one.

Andrew O'Neill
29-Mar-2016, 12:38
Tim, my camera took over a month to arrive after I received notification. I'm sure yours will show up.

Tim Meisburger
29-Mar-2016, 16:16
Andrew, I have never received any shipping notification. Just an email note saying they would ship later that week, and then silence. I sent about twenty emails, tweets etc. and just silence, only silence...

soonerpa
2-Apr-2016, 18:22
Finally! 35 months after pledging, the cameras finally arrived. Having already calibrated focus on the TW90, I'll go shooting some film later today.

Travelwide 90 with Schneider Super-Angulon 8/90mm, Voigtlaender finder 21mm and RRS camera plate.

Cheers
Andrew

http://www.waldeck.com/img_aphog/AW_20160304XT1_3421_Wanderlust_Travelwide_90_sm.jpg

Valdecus,
Which RRS plate are you using?
Thanks

Valdecus
3-Apr-2016, 03:01
Valdecus,
Which RRS plate are you using?
Thanks

This is a Really Right Stuff B25 plate. It fits perfectly and doesn't twist:
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/B25-Multi-use-fore-aft-plate-with-one-1-4-20-screw

Cheers
Andrew

soonerpa
3-Apr-2016, 12:49
This is a Really Right Stuff B25 plate. It fits perfectly and doesn't twist:
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/B25-Multi-use-fore-aft-plate-with-one-1-4-20-screw

Cheers
Andrew

Thank you sir!

dwross
5-Apr-2016, 13:27
Has anyone else gotten the warning about "unsafe site" when they've tried to access the Travelwide website? I'd like to buy a 90mm camera (or at least pre-order), but can't figure out how to do it. I love my wide angle version and I wish now I'd bought both!

Light Guru
5-Apr-2016, 13:41
I just tried it and got the unsafe site. This however does not mean they are shut down.

seezee
5-Apr-2016, 13:53
The only warning I'm seeing tells me that they let their SSL certificate expire. The site is up and running, but you have to allow a security exception in your browser to see it. Pity they have no contact form; someone could let them know they need to fix that.

Drew Bedo
5-Apr-2016, 13:56
Try posting this question on the Kickstarter forum (scroll down) in the Wander Lust thread.

dwross
5-Apr-2016, 14:07
I went to the Kickstarter forum. It doesn't look like the guys are reading it (or at least, not responding there). That's what led me to think something is amiss. The "unsafe site" warning has been there for a while. Fingers crossed all is well.

richardman
5-Apr-2016, 14:28
SSL Certificate or other "unsafe certificate" by itself may not mean much. For example, a certificate may have been issued to www.XYZ.com and if you visit XYZ.com instead and if the server is not set up correctly, it could cause problems.

I thought the owner is a member of this site (check the KickStarter forum ON THIS SITE, not the KickStarter page). If so, you can try sending him a PM

dwross
5-Apr-2016, 14:44
Good idea. Thank you, richardman. I hadn't put together that LFF has a dedicated Kickstarter forum. PM sent to Ben.

Tim Meisburger
5-Apr-2016, 17:25
Let me know if you hear from him. They still owe me a camera, but I think they have gone out of business.

Drew Bedo
5-Apr-2016, 19:12
Try sending them amPM through this site; they are members here.

Oren Grad
5-Apr-2016, 20:28
Threads merged.

Tim Meisburger
5-Apr-2016, 20:54
Okay. I sent a PM and email from this forum. According to his profile there has been no activity since February 20, so I think the whole operation may have folded. Just my ill luck to be at the end of the shipping list I guess.

dwross
8-Apr-2016, 07:00
Whew. Found it. Not sure why my thread was merged with this one, but c'est.

Haven't gotten a response to my PM to Ben, so I'm guessing the worst. I hope it was strictly a business decision on their part rather than a personal troubles. They really are onto something with their cameras. They went through the pain of getting things perfect. I had high hopes for them. Still do, actually :). If you're reading this, Ben: warmest regards and best wishes.

Anyway, if anyone has lost interest in their 90mm version, I'd love to dicker a purchase. Just the body. I have the lens.

RHITMrB
8-Apr-2016, 08:38
Whew. Found it. Not sure why my thread was merged with this one, but c'est.

Haven't gotten a response to my PM to Ben, so I'm guessing the worst. I hope it was strictly a business decision on their part rather than a personal troubles. They really are onto something with their cameras. They went through the pain of getting things perfect. I had high hopes for them. Still do, actually :). If you're reading this, Ben: warmest regards and best wishes.

Anyway, if anyone has lost interest in their 90mm version, I'd love to dicker a purchase. Just the body. I have the lens.

Okay. I sent a PM and email from this forum. According to his profile there has been no activity since February 20, so I think the whole operation may have folded. Just my ill luck to be at the end of the shipping list I guess.

There may yet be hope - as before, Twitter seems to be the best way to get a hold of these guys: https://twitter.com/bensyverson/status/718460890962665472

Tim Meisburger
18-Apr-2016, 17:12
Amazing! I had an email today saying my camera would ship on the 22nd, with shipping details and a tracking number. I had actually given up.

Roger Cole
18-Apr-2016, 23:45
:)

Awesome!

Fred L
19-Apr-2016, 04:55
great news !!!

Drew Bedo
19-Apr-2016, 12:12
Tim: I am so happy for you!

Now then: Is there anyone else who has not yet gotten their TravelWide?

Cheers

Andrew O'Neill
19-Apr-2016, 12:35
That's great. And if they are using the same shipping method, don't be alarmed when you check your tracking number and see that your camera has been sitting in the same spot for the past week or two. The tracking number was useless. It'll get there eventually.

Tim Meisburger
19-Apr-2016, 18:59
Thanks guys. I believe I'm the last (at least of those that frequent LFPF). Now all those folks waiting for a second run should be next, if the guys are not totally exhausted and discouraged from an adventure that stretched out three or four times longer than they anticipated. If they have all the kinks worked out now and can do another run, I would set up a distribution deal with Lomo, and I expect they would have steady sales in that market. Lomo now sells Foma 4x5 outside the US for Freestyle prices without the exorbitant shipping costs, so for non-US based LFers, anything that gets the plastic camera crowd more into 4x5 is a good thing for our market.

Steve Pitchford
19-Apr-2016, 20:38
Amazing! I had an email today saying my camera would ship on the 22nd, with shipping details and a tracking number. I had actually given up.

Great! Just in time for World wide Pinhole Day on April 24th.

Happy trails,
SteveP

plywood
20-Apr-2016, 08:41
Thanks guys. I believe I'm the last (at least of those that frequent LFPF). Now all those folks waiting for a second run should be next, if the guys are not totally exhausted and discouraged from an adventure that stretched out three or four times longer than they anticipated. If they have all the kinks worked out now and can do another run, I would set up a distribution deal with Lomo, and I expect they would have steady sales in that market. Lomo now sells Foma 4x5 outside the US for Freestyle prices without the exorbitant shipping costs, so for non-US based LFers, anything that gets the plastic camera crowd more into 4x5 is a good thing for our market.
Ben has said that a run of as little as 250 units is economically viable. There are a few kinks they still need to work out, reliable reasonable international shipping being a obvious one. That, and running extra pieces of fragile parts, i.e., the retaining tabs. I have a notion there will be a call for the availability of those as a replacement part. Also, at least some arrived with very stiff focusing, I know mine did. Being a inveterate tinkerer it was no problem to smooth the mold ridges on the helical and now my focusing action is nominal, not too loose or stiff. However for some customers this could be a problem.

wrieselbach
20-Apr-2016, 08:53
I still want one

Andrew O'Neill
20-Apr-2016, 09:20
Their website went poof...:confused:

Tin Can
20-Apr-2016, 10:00
Their website went poof...:confused:

You can look if you want, but now they have let their certificate expire and left this image.

Being Internet experts they know exactly what they are doing.

Disappointed...

Andrew O'Neill
20-Apr-2016, 10:21
I guess all the abuse they took was enough for them to pack it in. Too bad if it's true. It's a great product.

Corran
20-Apr-2016, 10:36
That's too bad. I definitely wish I'd have gotten the two-pack, and also I would love to have extra parts.

Tin Can
20-Apr-2016, 10:47
That's too bad. I definitely wish I'd have gotten the two-pack, and also I would love to have extra parts.

Oh yes, I like mine and keep it close. With the Wolly 90mm it's a tight & light package.

Planning to shoot the pinhole soon.

Andrew O'Neill
20-Apr-2016, 11:06
Planning to shoot the pinhole soon.

Me too. Hand held... just kidding.

Corran
20-Apr-2016, 11:11
I just bought a new 90mm lens for mine due to issues with my Angulon. Haven't tried it out yet. Ultimately if I'm shooting landscape I prefer my Chamonix, but for handheld, the TW is definitely nice. Makes for a good companion with a MF camera.

plywood
20-Apr-2016, 12:15
I guess all the abuse they took was enough for them to pack it in. Too bad if it's true. It's a great product.
Yes, there was some 'abuse', but let's be fair, they showed a most curious attitude toward quite reasonable requests for updates on any progress. On the one hand they repeatedly told the backers how grateful they were for our support but if someone dare ask 'say fellows, it's been weeks since the last update, any good news?' Quite often the answer was only......silence.
But, I suppose hindsight is always 20/20, coulda, shoulda, woulda. If Ben and Justin are just burned out (and financially drained) from the whole experience I can understand if they just want to forget the whole thing.

Andrew O'Neill
20-Apr-2016, 12:21
Yes, they could have done a much better job in the communication department. I'll give you that.

Fred L
20-Apr-2016, 15:48
website works for me now. kinda slow but it's there...

Andrew O'Neill
20-Apr-2016, 15:55
When you go to the site, a window opens saying it's not safe. I clicked on "Advanced" button and from there I had the option of going to the site or not. Weird... why would this be?

tenderobject
20-Apr-2016, 16:09
Hi guys,, anyone has the 65mm version? What good / cheap lens can you recommend? The 65mm doesn;'t have helical right?

Thanks!

Fred L
20-Apr-2016, 16:54
ah, I see that when using Firefox. but yeah, weird...

inglis
20-Apr-2016, 17:26
I am waiting on mine, but was outside the original kickstarter window, when they offered a further batch.
John

Andrew O'Neill
21-Apr-2016, 08:42
ah, I see that when using Firefox. but yeah, weird..

On Chrome as well.

dwross
21-Apr-2016, 09:53
Hi guys,, anyone has the 65mm version? What good / cheap lens can you recommend? The 65mm doesn;'t have helical right?

Thanks!

The Schneider Super-Angulon 1:8/65 is what was recommended, I think. Anyway, it's what I put on the camera. Works great, although there is a tiny bit of vignetting in the corners. No helical, but that's not a problem. The lens focuses from about 5 ft to infinity. One issue with the lens is that it only opens to f/8. That does not allow enough light in to see an image on the plastic "ground glass." I put a viewfinder on the camera and that solves the problem. With the right film, it really is a point and shoot LF.

barnacle
24-Apr-2016, 07:36
But on firefox, if you accept the 'I know what I'm doing' bit you can still load the original page. It's not that anything terrible is happening, it's just that the security certificate has expired.

Neil

Tim Meisburger
8-May-2016, 23:17
It arrived today, just in time. The movers are coming to my house tomorrow!150632

Tin Can
9-May-2016, 04:06
Thank goodness!

It arrived today, just in time. The movers are coming to my house tomorrow!150632

plywood
9-May-2016, 07:20
Be sure to tell us what your first impressions are.
Mine were, 'wow, that's a tiny box, how can a 4X5 fit in that size box?'
Now, six months later I cannot get over how small the Travelwide is compared to how big the negative is.

Tim Meisburger
9-May-2016, 09:01
Yes, I was also surprized how small the box is. The first thing I did was re-grind the plastic ground glass. In a few minutes it was looking serviceable, but I already have a mounted glass to use with this. I mounted the lens this evening, and found a cable release the right length. Tomorrow I'll calibrate it.

The movers are coming tomorrow, and I had already set aside my Ikeda and some lenses to use while everything else is in transit (about six weeks). but now I'm shipping the Ikeda, and will just play around with this for a while. I'll let you know once I've shot it some, but it looks like it will be some fun!

Andrew O'Neill
9-May-2016, 09:53
Tim, how did you grind the plastic gg?

Tim Meisburger
9-May-2016, 16:24
Same as glass. Used a pinch of 500 grit and a small piece of glass as a tool and rubbed away. You cannot easily get tight in the corners, and need to support the gg in the center to avoid deflection. Make sure you do the ground side. Takes just a few minutes.

Winger
9-May-2016, 20:36
I'm just so glad you got yours, Tim! I hope it works out well for you, too.

Nigel Smith
9-May-2016, 21:16
yeah... I can stop checking this thread now :)

Tim Meisburger
9-May-2016, 23:50
I'm just so glad you got yours, Tim! I hope it works out well for you, too.

Thanks Bethe. I had more or less given up. Now I'll get a good chance to use it over the next few months while I am in transition from Thailand to DC (with a trip to Mongolia in between).

Drew Bedo
10-May-2016, 05:44
Is there ANYONE out there who still has not gotten their paid-for TravelWide?

Andrew O'Neill
10-May-2016, 12:37
If everyone on this forum has received their cameras, then lets close this thread!

Oren Grad
10-May-2016, 12:48
Now I'll get a good chance to use it over the next few months while I am in transition from Thailand to DC (with a trip to Mongolia in between).

Traveling widely with! :)

Oren Grad
10-May-2016, 12:55
If everyone on this forum has received their cameras, then lets close this thread!

Yes, and it's a relief and a pleasure to be able to do so at last with a happy ending. Thanks to all for contributing!

A reminder that we have equipment and picture-sharing threads available for further discussion of the camera in use:

www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?125258-Using-and-Modifying-the-Travelwide-4x5-camera

www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?126322-Wanderlust-4X5-Travelwide

If Ben and Justin get to the point of reopening production for general availability, that news and any follow-up can be discussed in a new thread.