PDA

View Full Version : Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12

mdarnton
22-Sep-2015, 06:00
Personally, I like all the whining. It gives me supplemental data for populating my ignore list. No one likes a whiner, but here one can actually do something about it!

Ben Syverson
22-Sep-2015, 06:29
Not going to happen. Ben controls when pick up happens. He calls the carrier with a request for pickup, the carrier gives him a day (if during the week usually the next day) and approximate time. In 35 years doing shipping and receiving for the same company (including large shipments) I never, not once, had a carrier not show up on the date promised. That included UPS, FedX, CF, at all levels of service.

A good example of KS creator communication is the Intrepid 4x5 project. A little over a month ago the creator promised an update every Friday. For the last month he has held to that promise. Although his project has slipped to 7 months past initial reward estimate you just don't see the backers complaining. When Ben posted that bit of information I did not see one sour remark from anyone, just 'thank you'.
Absolutely right about the carrier pickup. In fact, we can call them same-day if it's urgent.

If Intrepid slips 20 months behind like us, I guarantee backers will complain no matter how often they're posting updates. I think Intrepid is their day job, and they're in full-speed-ahead production mode, so it's easier to do weekly updates. I wish them luck—it looks like a nice little camera!

I know we promised to post once every two weeks, but I no longer make any promises related to time. I really hope we can ship next Thursday, but it's not a promise. Honestly, a small percentage of backers will complain no matter what I do, so complaints don't even register anymore. They have zero impact. But constructive comments and encouragement have made a big difference.

A_Tabor
22-Sep-2015, 07:24
I would encourage backers of any kickstarter to be 'generously forgiving' as much as possible. Staying calm and supportive, and encouraging those behind a project to take their time and make things right tends to go over far better than hounding them and holding people to hard deadlines. As frustrating as it can be, life happens, and any kind of development project can readily snowball into a larger task than expected.

A software development project I've been doing a bit of contract work on the side with has hit several major issues. They started off with a tight and ambitious timeline, and focused on using lots of middleware and off the shelf solutions rather than building their own code to finish their project as fast as possible. The problems started when they had issues getting some of their middleware to work as expected, and ended up several months behind schedule having to rebuild stuff from scratch that they thought was already done. Then they pushed back the release date to deal with a few bugs...

The community effectively exploded in rage when the release date was pushed back again, and several members took it upon themselves to out the developers as fraudsters, and things got to the point that nearly half the team has now simply walked away from the project in an attempt to get away from the harassment. This has delayed the project even further and put more stress on the last programmer who has been spending half his time trying to 'keep the community informed' online, and working insane hours.

The insane hours has now also lead to him being clearly sleep deprived and making more errors than he normally would have. The biggest of which was a mistake in trying to fix an issue with some file handling systems that has possibly lost 3 months worth of progress...

Long story short: Deep breaths, and stay encouraging towards a development team. Anything else might just result in rather the opposite of a desired outcome.

plywood
22-Sep-2015, 07:48
Ben, when you posted about a possibile early ship day, and also why you could not do it sooner I did not see anyone calling you a so-and-so for not getting the shipping out earlier. Each of us who posted simply said 'thank you'. I personally do not care if the 90 arrives in October or November or December. Naturally, when they do ship, I'd like a heads up. Even if only you post in the KS comments section, not an official update, on a regular day of the week, each week, you will go a long way to shutting down all us 'complainers'. I don't know, perhaps you thought that by telling us there would be another 10 day delay that we would all jump down your throat. But that did not happen, as far as I could see. It seems the complainers just shrugged, and said thanks for the information.

Kuzano
22-Sep-2015, 08:49
Particularly in Manufacturing, the delays from "Change Orders" dominate the schedule. Also dominated are price increases.

The Travelwide has been rife with "Change Orders", hence the delay.

We should simply be happy that the price has not increased as well.

Look at the F35, our new all encompassing fighter jet that has been a failure in dog-fight trials and is now up against the 40 year old A10 "Warthog" for best Close Ground Support superiority, where it will also lose the competition.

The TravelWide will not go up in price, and will perform it's intended function.

At the same time, we have all participated in the price increases on the F35..... a tax supported contract.

Did you know that large government contracts, like the F35 have a "bonus" for pulling the plug on the contract early, thereby saving money for the government on the contract?

It's called a "BONUS FOR EARLY WEAPONS CONTRACT CANCELLATION". A standard operating procedure for contract failure, paid to the Manufacturer of the product, or weapons system.

Ben should be so lucky!!:rolleyes:

Ben Syverson
22-Sep-2015, 09:10
The F35 suffers from trying to please all the people all the time, and thus pleases no one. I miss the days of the F16 and F14. :)

letchhausen
22-Sep-2015, 16:46
What's astonishing to me is that the Digital Bolex KS (which was also late like every kickstarter where someone is building something from scratch) had far less whining from people who were in for $4k!

But I think Ben and team have done a great job of creating a product that will allow people to get a 4x5 negative in situations where we couldn't before. Even with the limited focal length (my lens kit is 240/350/450) there's a lot we'll be able to do and it will open me up to new ideas. So I'm thrilled that they're doing it. My feeling is that it will get here when it gets here and I usually pop into this thread hoping for discussion of those possibilities and it's tiring when it's just the same few people doing the "are we there yet?" routine.

Jim Cole
22-Sep-2015, 22:37
I love to read posts by people whining about the whiners.

Gadfly_1971
23-Sep-2015, 11:46
What's astonishing to me is that the Digital Bolex KS (which was also late like every kickstarter where someone is building something from scratch) had far less whining from people who were in for $4k!

I've found that the amount of whining tends to be inversely proportional to the amount of money "invested" in a given crowd funded project. The SnapPower outlet cover is a perfect example; $15 for the basic level and the whining started before the campaign was over. They weren't even very late (maybe a few weeks).

andrearicci
23-Sep-2015, 12:09
Hi everyone
This thread has 251 pages..
Can some summarise what's happening with the travelwide ?
I wrote to Wanderlust few times and got no answer
Is the company going to deliver and is there any realistic alternative to the travelwide?

Gadfly_1971
23-Sep-2015, 12:30
Hi everyone
Is the company going to deliver and is there any realistic alternative to the travelwide?

Are you a backer? Most of the information is available on the project page (on Kickstarter). https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wanderlust/travelwide-45-camera

plywood
23-Sep-2015, 13:32
Hi everyone
Look on page 239 post 2387,
Ben says he intends to make more of the cameras so at some point they will be available. If he is able to sell the TW90 for only $149 then I think he will be able to sell a boatload of these. I hope so, he deserves some profit at long last. Ilford has sold well over 1000 of the Titan 4X5 for $200 each and all they can do is pinhole, this has a helical, can mount a number of different 90mm lenses and it comes with a pinhole too. If Ben can keep the price the same it is a real bargain.

andrearicci
24-Sep-2015, 05:55
Thanks Gadfly_1971
I got to know about travelwide when the kickstarter call was gone
Since then (say almost a year ago) I have been trying to get to know how I could buy one
I went on the official site, subscribed to the newsletter, got one or two only and then nothing
I thought the company had disappeared (I understand that's not the case) and I finally thought joining this forum was the best way to get answers
The I bumped into 252 pages of thread (which is BIG, long answer) and still I don't know the basics
Can one buy now ? Are we all in a cue until new order ? Is the cue's length impossible to deal with (6000 people I understand have expressed some form of interest). I am lost. Can with it, but still lost. Any precious info I might have lost ? Thanks for your time, folks

rdenney
24-Sep-2015, 06:39
Once they have shipped the initial production batch, which is for Kickstarter backers, they will probably take a break (I would). They have said they can produce in batches of 250, so they'll probably put up an order site and wait until they have 250 confirmed orders before producing the next batch.

Rick "that's the synopsis" Denney

HMG
24-Sep-2015, 06:42
Thanks Gadfly_1971
I got to know about travelwide when the kickstarter call was gone
Since then (say almost a year ago) I have been trying to get to know how I could buy one
I went on the official site, subscribed to the newsletter, got one or two only and then nothing
I thought the company had disappeared (I understand that's not the case) and I finally thought joining this forum was the best way to get answers
The I bumped into 252 pages of thread (which is BIG, long answer) and still I don't know the basics
Can one buy now ? Are we all in a cue until new order ? Is the cue's length impossible to deal with (6000 people I understand have expressed some form of interest). I am lost. Can with it, but still lost. Any precious info I might have lost ? Thanks for your time, folks

You can sign up for newsletter here: https://wanderlustcameras.com/

I doubt very much that you'll need to wait in a queue of 6000 orders.

Winger
24-Sep-2015, 08:18
Just curious - how do you find out what number backer you were? I don't remember my number. I've looked around on kickstarter and couldn't find the backer list, which was my first guess of where to look.

Gadfly_1971
24-Sep-2015, 08:25
Just curious - how do you find out what number backer you were? I don't remember my number. I've looked around on kickstarter and couldn't find the backer list, which was my first guess of where to look.

Go to your "Backed Projects" page on Kickstarter. Click on the project in question. You should get a pop-up with the details, including your backer number.

Winger
24-Sep-2015, 11:52
Go to your "Backed Projects" page on Kickstarter. Click on the project in question. You should get a pop-up with the details, including your backer number.

Thanks! Woo hoo! I think I'm backer #493. :) Though I still have to clean my darkroom to be able to load holders without swearing at the tent (just a few inches smaller than I wish it was). And my to do list is still so long I can't even figure out what to do first.

Corran
24-Sep-2015, 11:57
I never noticed that...let's see...

#10! :)

Tin Can
24-Sep-2015, 12:13
Curious, so I looked. I was #174.

Then I checked on my 10 other KS projects.

One was different, as they wanted enough money to make their rare product and then give it away to all, anybody. Idealistic young people.

A sound library of gunshots, from rifles, machine guns, pistols anything they could borrow or rent. They paid for ammo and had a blast!

Purpose was to supply Indie Film makers with realistic sound effects.

This is a quote from their August 2014 last and final KS update.

"...This wasn't an ordinary Kickstarter project, with some kind of business transaction tied in. In all honesty, we were terrified people wouldn't want to back something that had no exclusive value to backers, but you all gave an incredible amount of support for an open source library, even if you weren't sure you'd ever use it. The opportunity you gave our team will be what some of us use to start our careers. We couldn't have done it without you, and we can't thank you enough for the incredible blessing this experience this has been. We have learned so much with your help.
Thank you and all the best,
Ben & Brian"

I will not provide a link, you may find it yourself.

BarryS
24-Sep-2015, 12:33
#5 here. :cool:

Andrew O'Neill
24-Sep-2015, 12:53

Nothing pops up for me. Oh well...

plywood
24-Sep-2015, 13:06

You understand this is not the KS site for the TravelWide 90 but the kickstarter.com site. To log in you will need your e-mail and password. After logging in you will see the projects you have backed, select the TravelWide and then select 'the plus symbol at the right, that should show you the date you backed the project and the number order you are in. Anyway, that's the way it worked for me. I am in the middle, number 342 if I recall correctly. I don't give a rats hind end when I get this thing, I just like to have a heads up when it ships. If it ships in this first batch there is a good chance I'll be gone, won't be back home till October 18th.

plywood
24-Sep-2015, 13:26
Andrew O'neill,
Sorry, I gave you a bum steer there. I should have identified the platform I'm using, it is my IPad.
So, this is exactly what I had to go through.
Looked up kickstarter.com
On the site touched 'me' at the right of the screen
Then under 'my stuff' I touched 'backed projects'
Then i touched the plus sign at the right for the TravelWide project.
That's when the information popped up.
I don't know if it would work the same on a regular PC.
Regards, John

andrearicci
24-Sep-2015, 13:36
Ok backers, this means that guys like me can wait forever
Sorry folks for the ranting but all this "my number is smaller than yours" isn't really music for the 5000+ waiting
Has anyone, ever, suggested to Ben& Co to ring at the door of a SME incubator and get assisted in this phase?
This "I'll manage alone" sort of thing, is not working. And it's frankly against any serious growth perspective for the company.

With 6000 people in the cue, and 128k already mobilised, being in the US (not in France or Belgium and even less in Southern Europe!) I don't catch why it has been impossible to get from a bank enough to make the cash flow work properly ? Maybe that is between page 123 and 167 of this thread ...

Like this, Wanderlust may keep 15% of those in the cue, the others will buy something else
Frankly, don't be afraid to ruin the "three guys in a garage model", ring at the door of the Sloan School, MIT, Chicago U. anywhere, and get tutored by some expert in enterprise growth. You have already won with the basic idea.

I find it incredible. These guys have unleashed the biggest latent market in photography of the past ten years (not the market of LF photographers alone, but a transversal market which connects Lomo users to would be phase one owners) and nobody is helping them convert this into money.
Can someone help the creators of the travelwide ?
I know, the answer is on page 911

Frank_E
24-Sep-2015, 13:49

Andrew, at first I thought it wasn't there either. It takes a bit of searching. I am using a Mac. My search involved: 1. hitting the "Me" icon 2. viewing the list of backed projects in two places. The one you want is in your "profile list" of backed projects.3 you select this project and have to go another two tabs deep.

plywood
24-Sep-2015, 15:41
Sorry folks for the ranting but all this "my number is smaller than yours" isn't really music for the 5000+ waiting
Has anyone, ever, suggested to Ben& Co to ring at the door of a SME incubator and get assisted in this phase?
This "I'll manage alone" sort of thing, is not working. And it's frankly against any serious growth perspective for the company.

With 6000 people in the cue, and 128k already mobilised, being in the US (not in France or Belgium and even less in Southern Europe!) I don't catch why it has been impossible to get from a bank enough to make the cash flow work properly ? Maybe that is between page 123 and 167 of this thread ...

Like this, Wanderlust may keep 15% of those in the cue, the others will buy something else
Frankly, don't be afraid to ruin the "three guys in a garage model", ring at the door of the Sloan School, MIT, Chicago U. anywhere, and get tutored by some expert in enterprise growth. You have already won with the basic idea.

I find it incredible. These guys have unleashed the biggest latent market in photography of the past ten years (not the market of LF photographers alone, but a transversal market which connects Lomo users to would be phase one owners) and nobody is helping them convert this into money.

Not sure what you mean by all that long comment but......
I don't think these guys are trying to launch a serious enterprise. This was a 'passion project'. Sure they have a "company", Wanderlust by name, but they both have demanding day jobs that pay the rent etc. This 'small, lightweight, cheap, handheld 4X5' idea apparently has been rattlinging around in Ben's head for several years. You know, the type of idea that starts out...."gee, wouldn't it be neat if someone made......" So, finally, Ben and buddy Justin decided to brain storm, build (by 3D printing) a couple of prototypes, get some quotes from potential suppliers, and finally launch a KS campaign. I believe if they had only known the serious difficulties they were to encounter they would never have started. But, fortunately for us, they stuck it out, much to the detriment of their own bank accounts. Now, they do intend to, when they can, produce this camera for sale. But when that will be......well it all comes down to, it depends. If you really want one, you'll probably just have to wait.

Larry Kellogg
24-Sep-2015, 17:10
I never noticed that either. I'm #6.

BarryS beat me, who are the other four people?

HMG
24-Sep-2015, 17:36
Andrew, at first I thought it wasn't there either. It takes a bit of searching. I am using a Mac. My search involved: 1. hitting the "Me" icon 2. viewing the list of backed projects in two places. The one you want is in your "profile list" of backed projects.3 you select this project and have to go another two tabs deep.

Thanks. I was wondering how to find this out. Looks like I'm #820. I wonder if Larry or Barry will trade places with me. :)

Tim Meisburger
24-Sep-2015, 17:45
Hmm... I never noticed that either. I just checked and I'm #994 from May 1, 2013. Guess it took me a while to commit!

AuditorOne
24-Sep-2015, 17:50

a bit surprising as I didn't think I was that early.

Larry Kellogg
24-Sep-2015, 18:00
Thanks. I was wondering how to find this out. Looks like I'm #820. I wonder if Larry or Barry will trade places with me. :)

Sorry, I'm equal with the next 494 backers as far as shipping, I don't want to slip to the next shipment of 500.

rfesk
24-Sep-2015, 18:11
I'm 334. That is not because I wasn't going to back but just didn't get around to it until then.

Fred L
24-Sep-2015, 18:18
I don't even want out think about my spot in the line. suffice it to say, I think it barely predates Columbus' whistle stop in the Americas lololol

Roger Thoms
24-Sep-2015, 18:27
Looks like I'll be in the second round:) thought I'd signed up earlier but no such luck.

David Aimone
24-Sep-2015, 18:30

Who is #1?

Actually #2 and #143...

Tin Can
24-Sep-2015, 18:48
Mom and Dad?

Larry Kellogg
24-Sep-2015, 19:20
My guess is that Rick Denney is #1. I think he said that at one point.

Andrew O'Neill
24-Sep-2015, 21:01
Yes, I was on the kickstarter site. The problem was my stupid teacher computer at school. Worked fine on my mac at home. I'm #110.

plywood
24-Sep-2015, 22:46
Logistics being what they are I'm not sure where we are in line counts that much. They probably want to get out a lot of the cameras to backers outside the U.S. since they will take the longest time to arrive. I'm 344 but could care less if I'm in that first batch. Actually it will be an bad thing if I am since I'll be out of town until 10/18 and our house sitter will be in and out at odd times so might not be there to get a package even if it arrives. It would be a shame if it was usps and they sent it back because there was no one at the door to accept it. What rotten timing for a trip.

andrearicci
25-Sep-2015, 00:27
Joy !
I just realised I am #6001

Larry Kellogg
25-Sep-2015, 01:46
Joy !
I just realised I am #6001

Do you mean 1006? The Kickstarter campaign closed at around 1200 backers.

plywood
25-Sep-2015, 05:23
Do you mean 1006? The Kickstarter campaign closed at around 1200 backers.

Larry, see post 2513,
I think the op is just being sarcastic. He also seems somewhat indignant that Wanderlust has not done more to make these cameras available for sale.

Drew Bedo
25-Sep-2015, 06:09
Anyone craving instant gratification or gratification on-demend should move on to digital imaging and leave film photography in any format.

The TravelWide is no longer a good idea with potential . . .the cameras are anow physical reality. Lets just leave the guys alone to get it all sorted out. I am sure that everyone will get their camera.

Nigel Smith
25-Sep-2015, 06:10
#551 :-(

edit : I did build myself an Afgan Box camera to whittle the time away :-)

maurits
25-Sep-2015, 09:42
#16 ;)

rdenney
25-Sep-2015, 13:38
I never noticed that...let's see...

#10! :)

I'm #8, which means that 7 people signed up in the 24 milliseconds it too me to mash the button. You must have been 6 milliseconds behind me, heh.

But my second camera has a higher number.

Rick "who was watching an atomic clock that day, as it happens" Denney

rdenney
25-Sep-2015, 14:31

All the first batch are made and are being prepared for shipping. We've been waiting for a couple of years. Large format is about patience, right?

Any project like this will be a labor of love and will require a lot of mutual understanding. But all the production problems are solved, and I suspect there will be a more stable, but still limited supply, going forward. A rush to overfund an initial production could bankrupt them if they predict wrong, so expect a little more conservative approach. The correlation between apparent excitement and cash payment is often pretty weak. I mean, they were nuts to even contemplate this project when measured against any good business sense. I for one am grateful.

Rick "but there may be some available on the secondary market from the Kickstarter backers, after delivery" Denney

Tin Can
25-Sep-2015, 14:36
I should send mine to Rick, but Noooo!

I'm keeping it!

Rick has the best stories. :)

Larry Kellogg
25-Sep-2015, 15:26
The search continues for backers #1, #3, and #4.

Ben Syverson
25-Sep-2015, 16:07
The search continues for backers #1, #3, and #4.
AFAIK #1 is not on this forum.
#3 is Steve Goldstein!
#4 has posted on LFF before, but is not active.

I should note we're not shipping out strictly in order of backer number. It's going to be roughly based on your number, but not exactly.

Larry Kellogg
25-Sep-2015, 17:15
Thanks Ben. Any order is fine, as long as it is not in reverse order. :-)

I know this is off topic but I'm backing the Bruvelo on Kickstarter. The Bruvelo is a one cup automated coffee maker that grinds the beans, tells you when you've put in enough water, and allows you to control the temperature for brewing a single cup.

The guy's video is terrific. He's a former Microsoft engineer who is obsessed with producing an excellent cup of coffee.

He explains how he pulled the plug on his first Kickstarter campaign because the contractors came in at 10x their original numbers. Well, the 10x statement is in the comments.

He's refined the product significantly and is aiming for $900k to make it happen. There are lessons to be learned in there. We'll see if he hits his goal. I'm in for two machines, one for home and one for the office.

Steve Goldstein
25-Sep-2015, 18:05
#3 is Steve Goldstein!

That's interesting. As I recall the KS was supposed to go live at noon on whatever day it was. I logged in 5 minutes early, found it already up and running, and completed the signup process in two or three minutes, definitely before the theoretical start time. And I "only" ended up #3! Do you have any visibility as to how many people signed up before the official start time?

I'm certainly looking forward to receiving my Travelwide. The lens and rangefinder are ready and waiting, and you've already flocked the inside, which was something I'd been planning to do.

Steve Goldstein
25-Sep-2015, 18:09
Who is #1?

You are number 6.

Did you ever see "The Prisoner"?

Larry Kellogg
25-Sep-2015, 18:32
You are number 6.

Did you ever see "The Prisoner"?

No, I am Number 6. Don't give away too much of that series, I have to watch it now. It came out when I was four years old, I believe.

Roger Thoms
25-Sep-2015, 18:58
Ben, are the Travelwides going to have serial #'s?

Roger

Ben Syverson
25-Sep-2015, 19:48
Ben, are the Travelwides going to have serial #'s?

Roger
I really wanted to give them serials, but I couldn't come up with a compelling enough reason to invest in the equipment! Maybe if we get a laser cutter or CNC machine in the future I'll see how much time it would take to engrave the bodies.

ndrs
26-Sep-2015, 00:39
Number 7 here.

Drew Bedo
26-Sep-2015, 05:42
Re: S/N numbering in the future.

Engrave a set of little plastic plaques ahead of time. As cameras are assembled and packed for shipping, glue on the next label in the series. The camera body could have a slight recess to receive the numbered plate. It would only add an additional 2-3 min to the assembly process.

HMG
26-Sep-2015, 06:59
Re: S/N numbering in the future.

Engrave a set of little plastic plaques ahead of time. As cameras are assembled and packed for shipping, glue on the next label in the series. The camera body could have a slight recess to receive the numbered plate. It would only add an additional 2-3 min to the assembly process.

I'm not sure what having S/Ns would add unless a) it's tied to a production batch for QC purposes or b) there is a time based warranty. And if "a", then production batch of what (body, helical, etc)? Am I missing something?

Jim Cole
26-Sep-2015, 07:29
I'm not sure what having S/Ns would add unless a) it's tied to a production batch for QC purposes or b) there is a time based warranty. And if "a", then production batch of what (body, helical, etc)? Am I missing something?

I agree, it's really not necessary on a $100-$149 camera.

Ben Syverson
26-Sep-2015, 08:32
Yeah, and there's nothing really to go "wrong" with the body itself. It's either defect-free, or it's not, and we get many, many chances to check each body before it goes out. We've only had one or two defective bodies so far.

Roger Thoms
26-Sep-2015, 09:16
I wasn't necessarily thinking they should have, or would need serial numbers. Was just wondering as I had not occurred to me.

Roger

HMG
26-Sep-2015, 17:42
Yeah, and there's nothing really to go "wrong" with the body itself. It's either defect-free, or it's not, and we get many, many chances to check each body before it goes out. We've only had one or two defective bodies so far.

Checking them before they go out? That would get you fired at most companies. :)

plywood
26-Sep-2015, 19:59
Just realized, Chicago had B&J (Burke & James) of large format fame and now it has Ben & Justin (also B&J).........
Well I just think that's cool.

Why yes, it is a boring night, why do you ask.

AuditorOne
26-Sep-2015, 20:05
Just realized, Chicago had B&J (Burke & James) of large format fame and now it has Ben & Justin (also B&J).........
Well I just think that's cool.

Why yes, it is a boring night, why do you ask.

57 channels and nothin on...

plywood
26-Sep-2015, 21:20
57 channels and nothin on...

We don't have cable but I just finished my latest plywood project. (duct tape isn't the only handyman's secret weapon)
My next project will be a device for the TravelWide but can't start it till late October. Just as well, in fact I may have to have it in hand for accurate measurements so the project might have to wait till it gets here.

Nicolasllasera
27-Sep-2015, 05:59
AFAIK #1 is not on this forum.
#3 is Steve Goldstein!
#4 has posted on LFF before, but is not active.

I should note we're not shipping out strictly in order of backer number. It's going to be roughly based on your number, but not exactly.

Number #4 here and still active. I dont write a lot as I dont consider I have too much experience to share. But do keep reading as much as I can. :)

Drew Bedo
27-Sep-2015, 06:09
Is anyone going to use a TW for aerial photography? Seems like a natural.

HMG
27-Sep-2015, 08:05
Is anyone going to use a TW for aerial photography? Seems like a natural.

Interestingly, "back in the day", Peter Gowland made a fixed focus 4x5 aerial camera (http://www.petergowland.com/camera/) (about 1/2 down the page). The issue will be focal length. Depending on subject, you'll typically want no wider than normal and more likely 2x normal. Gowland's were made for somewhat wider lens. That's OK if shooting from helicopter or over "non-congested" areas where you can fly lower than 1,000 feet.

Kuzano
27-Sep-2015, 11:21
Interestingly, "back in the day", Peter Gowland made a fixed focus 4x5 aerial camera (http://www.petergowland.com/camera/) (about 1/2 down the page). The issue will be focal length. Depending on subject, you'll typically want no wider than normal and more likely 2x normal. Gowland's were made for somewhat wider lens. That's OK if shooting from helicopter or over "non-congested" areas where you can fly lower than 1,000 feet.

Which is why I plan on shooting from a Powered Parachute.... 35-40 MPH... Low and Slow.

HMG
27-Sep-2015, 11:35

I should add that the standard 4x5 model (built to order) cost $435 in mid 80s. That's equivalent to $965 today. Compare that to cost of a travelwide.

plywood
27-Sep-2015, 12:27
I should add that the standard 4x5 model (built to order) cost $435 in mid 80s. That's equivalent to $965 today. Compare that to cost of a travelwide.

Even at $149 (don't know whether Ben will be able to hold the unit retail that low) the TW 90 is an incredible bargain. If it ships with the pinhole cap for that price, even more so. When they finally get into regular production I think there is potential market demand for another 1000 cameras.

Corran
27-Sep-2015, 12:35
Maybe. I know a lot of students who would like to dabble with LF. However, they are a bit squeamish with the idea of a totally manual camera. I had a friend who is very smart and very capable who literally attempted to shoot LF 5 different times and managed to mess something up and get no images or fogged film or whatever every time until I carefully guided her through the entire process (this was for a class). She was so upset she never wants to use a LF camera again.

Some may also be put off by the 90mm focal length. Most of them have shot nothing but 50mm lenses on their 35mm camera of choice. The few that have gotten a LF camera have all found a Crown Graphic or similar with a 127-150mm lens. It would be cool if there could be some sort of extension piece to use a 127mm lens on the TW, but I imagine that isn't easily made due to vignetting.

Steve Pitchford
27-Sep-2015, 13:36
Gadfly & et. al,

Damn it! #517.

Oh well, what's a couple more weeks. Just hope my bus's don't get theirs first.

Happy trails,
SPitchford

plywood
27-Sep-2015, 19:19
@Corran,
If I wanted to start someone out with 4X5 I would use photo paper as a negative. Select Ilford grade #2 RC paper used at ISO 6. The advantages of paper is that it can be cut, loaded, and developed under safelight. Then, it can be scanned or contact printed or, enlarged with a front illumination enlarger. If that last route is taken you probably will have to build your own enlarger so you might not want to go that far.

The other advantage is that is about 1/4 the price to expose paper as a negative.
I would avoid DP paper as the image is a laterally reversed, mirror image.

This would let them dip their toe into the LF workflow without spending money on film and fumbling in total darkness trying to load a DDS for the first time.

Corran
27-Sep-2015, 19:31
With respect, I disagree with that approach. Too much trouble for really no gain at all in usability, except cost, which is not much when you are only shooting a few sheets as a learning experiment (or, use cheap x-ray film). Especially since the students I'm talking about have all shot, developed, and enlarged film already. But, to each his own - personally I have no interest in paper negatives and think it's a waste of time, especially when x-ray film is available., but that's just my opinion.

plywood
27-Sep-2015, 21:25
With respect, I disagree with that approach. Too much trouble for really no gain at all in usability, except cost, which is not much when you are only shooting a few sheets as a learning experiment (or, use cheap x-ray film). Especially since the students I'm talking about have all shot, developed, and enlarged film already. But, to each his own - personally I have no interest in paper negatives and think it's a waste of time, especially when x-ray film is available., but that's just my opinion.

That's the thing about paper negatives, there seems to be no middle ground, folks either love them or have no interest in them. Kinda like instant prints, while some will spend what I consider exorbitant amounts of money on them I find no use for them. Having no much money to spend probably influences my leaning toward using paper. Not that I wouldn't buy some film too, just would not use it too much.

About that front surface enlarger, that is one of my future plywood projects. I have a general idea on how to construct one.

One thing about paper, when you get to 8X10 it will allow you to try it out without breaking the bank. Without that option I would not even consider larger than 4 X5

WayneStevenson
29-Sep-2015, 04:38
It's been about a month since local pickups. Have these started shipping yet?

koh303
29-Sep-2015, 04:56
If it ships with the pinhole cap for that price, even more so.

Currently, its not shipping at all.

plywood
29-Sep-2015, 06:26
It's been about a month since local pickups. Have these started shipping yet?

Ben said there is a possibility that the first batch might ship out by the end of this week.
He said it is not a promise, only a possibility.

Nigel Smith
1-Oct-2015, 15:45
yipee!

DougD
1-Oct-2015, 16:16
I just received a tracking number. That's a good sign.

Corran
1-Oct-2015, 16:49
!!!

Interesting...

Oren Grad
1-Oct-2015, 17:04
I just received a tracking number. That's a good sign.

:)

What carrier?

mdm
1-Oct-2015, 18:16
Hallelujah mine has shipped, like only 2 years after I really wanted it and my third address. Thanks Fellas, sleep well.

Corran
1-Oct-2015, 18:17
Shipping confirmation to Canada and New Zealand, hmm...

No news here though.

munz6869
1-Oct-2015, 18:42
Woot! I have a tracking number!!

Marc!

plywood
1-Oct-2015, 19:14
Kinda figured they'd get the non US backers out first, they take the longest to arrive. Does anyone besides me think this calls for an official update on their regular KS site. Been over a month since the last one.

Andrew O'Neill
1-Oct-2015, 19:14
Mine's been shipped, too!

Frank_E
1-Oct-2015, 19:20
and another "non-US" has been shipped, got my tracking number today…….looking forward to receiving it (backer #22)
a big thank you…!

Tin Can
1-Oct-2015, 19:26
Kinda figured they'd get the non US backers out first, they take the longest to arrive. Does anyone besides me think this calls for an official update on their regular KS site. Been over a month since the last one.

I think you missed the Kickstarter camera you wood have preferred. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1436129614/the-intrepid-4x5-camera-an-affordable-large-format/description

dave_whatever
1-Oct-2015, 23:25
I received an email telling me my camera had been shipped on 10/2/2015. I must admit this caused some confusion as I know for a fact the cameras didn't even exist on the 10th of February, and that it shouldn't take 8 months to arrive.

Nigel Smith
1-Oct-2015, 23:27
those US dates can be confusing!

dave_whatever
2-Oct-2015, 05:29
I received an email telling me my camera had been shipped on 10/2/2015. I must admit this caused some confusion as I know for a fact the cameras didn't even exist on the 10th of February, and that it shouldn't take 8 months to arrive.

Has anyone else just been sent another almost identical email, only this time with a different tracking number?

Valdecus
2-Oct-2015, 05:32
An another shipment went out to Germany. ;-)

Cheers
Andrew

Ben Syverson
2-Oct-2015, 06:01
Has anyone else just been sent another almost identical email, only this time with a different tracking number?

Yeah, we had to regenerate the labels for a few backers (especially ones with double camera kits). Use the most recent number to track. However, our international orders will only be tracked until they leave the US. Once the package is in the destination country, it will have to clear customs and then be delivered by the local postal service.

BarryS
2-Oct-2015, 06:20
Yeah, we had to regenerate the labels for a few backers (especially ones with double camera kits). Use the most recent number to track. However, our international orders will only be tracked until they leave the US. Once the package is in the destination country, it will have to clear customs and then be delivered by the local postal service.

Ben, was the full batch of 500+ completed cameras sent out to non-US backers? Are there any cameras being sent out to US backers? Thanks.

Ben Syverson
2-Oct-2015, 06:29
Ben, was the full batch of 500+ completed cameras sent out to non-US backers? Are there any cameras being sent out to US backers? Thanks.
It's a long story, but only international cameras are going out in today's shipment. But a big batch of cameras should go out to US backers next week.

BarryS
2-Oct-2015, 06:36
It's a long story, but only international cameras are going out in today's shipment. But a big batch of cameras should go out to US backers next week.

OK, cool--thanks for the update.

plywood
2-Oct-2015, 06:43
I think you missed the Kickstarter camera you wood have preferred. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1436129614/the-intrepid-4x5-camera-an-affordable-large-format/description

No missed KS at all. Already have a 4X5 with movements (more limited than the Intrepid but sufficient).
I backed the TW90 specifically because it is a small, lightweight, handheld 4X5. Since Wanderlust has started shipping cameras then it makes sense to cheer everyone up with the good news in an update.
As a PS, since I won't be back home till October 18th I hope my 90 isn't in that first batch or I won't be there to receive it.

Andrew O'Neill
2-Oct-2015, 18:40
Anyone know which carrier they are using? I checked tracking and I couldn't see who the shipper was... also, they have me down as living in Coquitlam, BC, CA. I sure hope to hell there is no Coquitlam, California!

Frank_E
2-Oct-2015, 20:24
I just checked my email
mine is being shipped
to Toronto, Ontario, CA

maybe someone thought CA stands for Canada

but the Canadian postal code is correct

I was also wondering why the "parcel tracker" is not yet showing the shipping number as being registered

Nigel Smith
2-Oct-2015, 20:32
I was also wondering why the "parcel tracker" is not yet showing the shipping number as being registered

mine is now

Andrew O'Neill
2-Oct-2015, 21:17
Showing tracker info for me now, too. Still don't know who the shipper is, though. I pray that it's not UPS because they'll have their hand out expecting me to pay them a brokerage fee.

RHITMrB
2-Oct-2015, 21:50
I just checked my email
mine is being shipped
to Toronto, Ontario, CA

maybe someone thought CA stands for Canada

but the Canadian postal code is correct

Some package delivery companies that aren't USPS use the ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 codes. For Canada that is, in fact, CA.

What parcel tracker were you pointed to?

Frank_E
3-Oct-2015, 13:12
Some package delivery companies that aren't USPS use the ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 codes. For Canada that is, in fact, CA.

What parcel tracker were you pointed to?

since the number I was given looked like a USPS number I seem to have mistakenly assumed that this was how the parcel was coming
the embedded link in the email (which now works) only tells me the name of the logistics software (Globegistics). I don't know who the carrier is
and am still hoping my camera doesn't end up in California….

Jon Shiu
3-Oct-2015, 13:39
Noticed there is an Oct. 2 update on the Kickstarter page, although I didn't get an email.

Jon

Andrew O'Neill
3-Oct-2015, 16:40
Update:

Hi everyone,
Good news: our first group of cameras is boxed, labeled and ready for carrier pickup! We couldn't be more excited, and we have more info to share. But first, a PSA:
Instructions
We're shipping each camera with a printed instruction sheet, but if you lose yours, or need to print it again, you can find the Travelwide 90 instruction sheet here. If you haven't received your camera yet, you can read this to be ahead of the curve, you maverick you.
Global Travelers
This first shipment of cameras is traveling, appropriately enough, across the globe. Our international packages are picked up separately from domestic, so we decided to get as many internationals grouped together as we possibly could.

This shipment represents the vast majority of our international rewards. The few that remain are rewards which include lenses or more than two cameras, and couldn't be shipped using the same service.
Domestic Bliss
Don't worry, we don't hate America. We have hundreds of cameras left over from the international shipment, and we're on track to make quite a few in the next week. We should send out our first domestic shipment in this coming week, with more to follow on a weekly basis until we've sent everything.

Your Address
A lot of you haven't sent us your address. This is weird and makes it really hard to send you a camera! And if you have given us your address, please make sure it's up to date—you can change it at any time. Just don't change it too often, because that's weird too.
Behind the Scenes
I have an old saying: It's not a real project until you write software.
Hey, sometimes we need to maneuver a pallet jack, and sometimes we need to do a little coding. We recently learned that going from Kickstarter's CSV export to Shipstation's CSV import requires some massaging. I chose to use Perl for this because I'm a geek, and I'm old. Whatever works!

Shipping FAQ
Q: I got a tracking number, but the link tells me to wait! Should I freak out?
A: No! Do not freak out. Your tracking number will be updated by the carrier when the boxes are picked up.
Q: I'm an international backer. How useful will this tracking number be?
A: Not very! It will tell you when the camera leaves the US. However, once it's in your country, it will stop tracking. At that point, it's literally in the hands of your postal service.
Q: I got two shipping confirmations! Am I getting two cameras? Has the universe split into a hologram?
A: We had to reprint a small number of labels, and the latest tracking number is the correct one. The universe is intact… but we still haven't reconciled quantum physics and general relativity.
Q: I'm backer #1202. Did my camera ship?
A: No, but we just moved you to the back of the line. Ha, just kidding. Sort of. Please don't email us to ask when your camera will ship. When it ships, you will receive a shipping confirmation email!
Instant Gratification
Okay, changing topics! A few people have asked about the current state of instant film. Instant film is a super fun way to show off your Travelwide, because you can take a photo and see the result in as little as 15 seconds.
New55
The New55 project is offering brand new 4x5 instant film for sale on their store. This is super cool, and I can't wait to get some to test out. Go buy some! You'll need the Polaroid 545i holder (the older metal 545 holder isn't compatible with the Travelwide).

Fuji Pack Film
Recently, I picked up a Fuji PA-145 holder, which can accept Fuji instant films such as FP-100C (a 100 ISO color film) and FP-3000B (a 3200 ISO B&W film). This film is cheap and good!
Pardon the bathroom selfie… Pardon the bathroom selfie…
To install the PA-145 (or Polaroid 405) holder to the Travelwide, you'll need to unscrew the spring back, and bungie the holder to the camera. Don't worry—this actually works, and is quite secure! (Psst, I'm investigating the possibility of offering narrower spring backs that could accept these pack film holders without the need for bungies. Interested?)

Once you've got it attached, the pack film holder lets you shoot pretty big 4.25x3.25" (108x82mm) photos, and it's possible to save the negative if you're crafty.

More soon
Thanks for hanging in there, everyone! We'll have more to share in the coming days and weeks as we send out all of these rewards. I hope you like pictures of boxes—we sure do!
Ben

Tim Meisburger
3-Oct-2015, 18:52
There is also another update, addressed to me I think! I have been trying to get information about how to change my shipping address for several months with no response, and sent email again yesterday. This morning I found instructions in the comment section from another supporter and was finally able to change the shipping address based on those. The latest update on the update from Ben and Justin, which came an hour or two after I changed my address, clearly describes how to change the shipping address in Kickstarter. They also clearly state that if you send them a message or email with an address change that WILL NOT WORK! So go to Kickstarter if you need to change your address.

The Update on the Update also includes a lot of useful information on which Polaroid and rollfilm holders will work on the travelwide, so is worth a look from anyone interested in that.

Cheers, Tim

Ben Syverson
4-Oct-2015, 20:04
Not directed at you at all, Tim! We got an avalanche of address change emails after I posted the update before last. Thanks for updating your address via Kickstarter!

Unfortunately, we can't manually change someone's address in Kickstarter, and to make things worse, we need to continually import our Kickstarter database into Shipstation (our shipping software) to get the latest addresses. So if we make any manual changes, they'll be clobbered the next time we import.

WayneStevenson
4-Oct-2015, 20:09
Currently, its not shipping at all.

Got a notification the other day that it shipped. :) Looking forward to trying mine out. :D

Tim Meisburger
5-Oct-2015, 01:40
Thanks Ben. I hope it shows somewhere in your database that I also sent the additional $40 through PayPal for international shipping.

Cheers, tim

Andrew O'Neill
5-Oct-2015, 10:06
Showing tracker info for me now, too. Still don't know who the shipper is, though. I pray that it's not UPS because they'll have their hand out expecting me to pay them a brokerage fee.

I just checked. Because the camera was made in the US, it will be exempt from duties. NAFTA.

AuditorOne
5-Oct-2015, 19:14
Too bad it doesn't seem to work coming back the other way. The last time UPS delivered something to me from Canada it cost me a fair amount in duties payable to UPS.

koh303
5-Oct-2015, 19:22
Too bad it doesn't seem to work coming back the other way. The last time UPS delivered something to me from Canada it cost me a fair amount in duties payable to UPS.

how much exactly?
UPS charges all incoming international shipments into the US some standard brokerage fee, which is true anywhere in the world. This is not a duty or tax. If anything the import duty on most if not all camera gear into the US is 0.029% (as per the HTS)....

AuditorOne
5-Oct-2015, 20:26
I don't recall the exact amount as it was about a year ago. It was well over $100, but the amount of $160 sticks in my mind. They would not drop the lens off without the payment. I call the UPS office and they insisted it was import duties they had to cover and that I would be billed either way, whether they returned the lens to Canada or not. I have never again ordered anything from outside the US, Canada included, until I knew exactly who the shipper was going to be. It had happened once previously but the amount was much lower, so I paid it and let it ride.

I do not know if they still do this or not but I refuse to give them another opportunity.

Andrew O'Neill
5-Oct-2015, 20:42

Was the item made in the US or Canada? If so, you shouldn't have to pay. UPS is the biggest scammer around.

AuditorOne
5-Oct-2015, 21:01
It was originally made in Germany by Zeiss Ikon. It was a very nice 400mm Tele-Tessar for my Contarex set. The lens was already a little more pricey than I wanted and then UPS is telling me that I need to pay them before they will hand it over just fried my bacon (a euphemism to describe that I was just a tad upset.) UPS certainly lost my business at that point. I think the only thing that UPS brings me anymore are items coming domestically from Amazon.

I won' go so far as to consider them rip off artists. I think that they are a very reliable delivery service but the company has some very questionable ways of making additional money for international shipping. They get paid on one hand to ship, and then they get paid on the delivery end by the people they are delivering to. Pretty good business model as long as people are willing to pay. I'm not.

Fred L
6-Oct-2015, 04:43
That lens will be dinged for duties going either way but yeah, I never buy from anyone if they insist on UPS and I've passed up on plenty of stuff over the years. USPS (preferred) and Fed Ex work for me.

If that came into Canada, I believe I'd be dinged 13% (?) and once in a blue moon, they don't charge duties ;)

WayneStevenson
7-Oct-2015, 04:48
Was the item made in the US or Canada? If so, you shouldn't have to pay. UPS is the biggest scammer around.

They're supposed to charge you $25 - $50 to let you know that you don't have to pay the $.50 tax. But in most cases they don't do their job and charge you tax on exempt items as well......

Scam indeed.

Andrew O'Neill
7-Oct-2015, 10:08
Fingers crossed it's not them, then. At any rate, I looked into this Globalgistics. Once the package has left them, there is no tracking. It's only been 5 days since they had it, so we'll see...

Steve Pitchford
7-Oct-2015, 21:36
Pssst....

All's quite on the western front. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Happy trails,
SteveP

Stefan Lungu
7-Oct-2015, 23:44
Hm, strange thing : my Globegistics site only states :
10/2/2015 11:20 PM Enroute To Regional Processing Facility Globegistics, US
Since then, no new entry - has the package now left them or not ?

Regards Stefan

dave_whatever
8-Oct-2015, 00:13
Hm, strange thing : my Globegistics site only states :
10/2/2015 11:20 PM Enroute To Regional Processing Facility Globegistics, US
Since then, no new entry - has the package now left them or not ?

Regards Stefan

Same here.

Andrew O'Neill
8-Oct-2015, 07:33
Because once the package has left Globalgistics, tracking ends.

Drew Bedo
8-Oct-2015, 10:42
As my Daddy used to say, "Santa won't come till you go to sleep!"

As Ben Franklin put it, "A watched pot never boils."

As my drunken uncle once said, "A bird in the hand is worth two if by sea!",

I never did understand that one.

Dan Fromm
8-Oct-2015, 12:00
An unwatched pot always boils over.

Simon B
9-Oct-2015, 03:46
My tracking status updated today:

10/8/2015 11:20 AM Shipment In Transit to Destination Bensenville, US
10/8/2015 8:23 AM Shipment Scanned At Processing Facility Bensenville, US

I wonder how long this one will be stuck in customs?

Simon

Andrew O'Neill
9-Oct-2015, 17:44
I got the same update. That's encouraging.

angusparker
9-Oct-2015, 19:24
As my Daddy used to say, "Santa won't come till you go to sleep!"

As Ben Franklin put it, "A watched pot never boils."

As my drunken uncle once said, "A bird in the hand is worth two if by sea!",

I never did understand that one.

"One if by land, two if by sea" - ride of Paul Revere? Think the drink provided the bird!

Kuzano
13-Oct-2015, 11:37
Hate to ask, because I have been looking for how to find my status/number in line.

Not having much luck. Would someone mind listing the steps again to finding where I am in line. I know it's on the KickStarter thread for this camera?

Thanks in advance.

Lars

Jon Shiu
13-Oct-2015, 12:11
Hate to ask, because I have been looking for how to find my status/number in line.

Not having much luck. Would someone mind listing the steps again to finding where I am in line. I know it's on the KickStarter thread for this camera?

Thanks in advance.

Lars

Go to kickstarter and log in. click on "Me" in the upper right. Under "my stuff" on the left, go to "backed projects" and see the Travelwide line- click on this or plus sign on the right, you should see it.

Jon

Courtlux
13-Oct-2015, 12:21
I also

AuditorOne
13-Oct-2015, 20:39
I am not sure they are paying a lot of attention to the status number when they ship. So far that hasn't been the primary shipping criteria.

Kuzano
13-Oct-2015, 22:08
Go to kickstarter and log in. click on "Me" in the upper right. Under "my stuff" on the left, go to "backed projects" and see the Travelwide line- click on this or plus sign on the right, you should see it.

Jon

Thank You... mid 300's. Nice to know, and close to where I thought I bought in. Truly enjoyed Mendocino images.;)

Steve Pitchford
13-Oct-2015, 22:21

Jon

lARS,

When you get to the "Backed projects" page you may either click on the blue circle with a plus at its center OR the picture of the Travel Wide camera at the left hand end (home) of the line. The verbage is not linked in my Firefox browser.

Hope that helps, Happy trails,
Spitchford

Roger Thoms
14-Oct-2015, 03:58
I think a great goal would be to have a of the cameras shipped by early Dec. so that we all have them for Christmas.

Roger

brighamr
14-Oct-2015, 08:05
My Camera arrived today in London

so I guess most other people in Western Europe should have them soon

on quick inspection I'm happy
Hope to actually get use it this weekend

robin

dave_whatever
14-Oct-2015, 08:17
Look what the international shipping cat dragged in.

Kuzano
14-Oct-2015, 10:00
lARS,

When you get to the "Backed projects" page you may either click on the blue circle with a plus at its center OR the picture of the Travel Wide camera at the left hand end (home) of the line. The verbage is not linked in my Firefox browser.

Hope that helps, Happy trails,
Spitchford

Thanks Steve.

Found it.. mid 300's

Andrew O'Neill
14-Oct-2015, 10:03
I think mine is hitch hiking its way here. Two weeks and it's only gone a few miles from Chicago... according to tracking. Hey, it could even be in Canada, for all I know!

Corran
14-Oct-2015, 10:07
Hey, at least you got a tracking number. I'm surprised that they are being delivered overseas before domestic orders even ship...

Andrew O'Neill
14-Oct-2015, 10:13
We is more specialer than youse guys :rolleyes:

Andrew O'Neill
14-Oct-2015, 10:17
Maybe it's because the shipments take much longer than normal to arrive. I imagine cameras sent overseas will take a long, long time to arrive...maybe?

Ben Syverson
14-Oct-2015, 10:23
I think mine is hitch hiking its way here. Two weeks and it's only gone a few miles from Chicago... according to tracking. Hey, it could even be in Canada, for all I know!
It is—I thought Globegistic's tracking number would update when it actually left the country, but it looks like the last update you'll see is "Shipment in Transit to Destination."

The actual delivery time will vary as the package is processed through customs, but hopefully you won't be waiting too much longer!

pierre506
15-Oct-2015, 19:44
Any news about the shipping to China?
I backed 3 of them.

Oren Grad
15-Oct-2015, 21:51
The posts on fitting a 6x12 RFH have been moved to the usage thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?125258-Using-and-Modifying-the-Travelwide-4x5-camera

wojszyca
16-Oct-2015, 15:53
Hey, I just received my camera today!!! I am in Poland so I guess that anyone in EU can expect the postman really soon. I am so happy and excited! It's my first real step into large format (except for registering on this forum a long time ago).
I have installed the lens (Angulon 90mm f/6,8) and learned a painful lesson that "4x5 holders for 9x12 film" were NOT what I should have bought. I wish I knew that one year ago when I got them :).
I need to make it right and get correct holders ASAP, Monday I hope. And then - my first ever LF photo!

Kirk Fry
16-Oct-2015, 19:55
The "4X5 holders for 9X12 film" will work fine with 9 cm X 12 cm cut film which I thought was pretty standard in Europe. US 4 inch by 5 inch film is 10.2 cm X 12.7 cm which is the reason it did not fit in your holders. You could of course cut the film down to fit in your holders in a very clean dark room. :-)

wojszyca
17-Oct-2015, 01:53
The "4X5 holders for 9X12 film" will work fine with 9 cm X 12 cm cut film which I thought was pretty standard in Europe.

Thank you Kirk for your suggestion, I can get 9x12 film quite easily, that's true, or even cut the 4x5 that I already have, but processing 9x12 would be much more trouble as I got MOD54 for developing, I got 4x5 holder for my scanner to scan, and also 4x5 film is still in general more popular and comes in way broader selection. That is why I'd rather go 4x5.

plywood
17-Oct-2015, 08:15
Nice to hear overseas backers are getting cameras in hand. I am looking forward to more 'first impressions', especially the helical action, play and damping. This helical is to me the biggest attraction to this camera (and was certainly the part that gave Ben and Justin the most sleepless nights). My ratty f6.8 Angulon, still sitting in my lens box, is getting restless and calling to me. Just hope they can start domestic shipments soon.

Oren Grad
17-Oct-2015, 10:48
Folks - please put all new posts about setup, modification and use of the Travelwide in the thread that has been set up for that purpose:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?125258-Using-and-Modifying-the-Travelwide-4x5-camera

Thanks!

charlesholland
17-Oct-2015, 11:49
For those awaiting there camera: I received mine today www.photoenthusiasm.blogspot.nl

sperdynamite
19-Oct-2015, 08:17
Fingers crossed for yet another week awaiting a USA tracking number. Would love to get some fall shooting in. :(

Frank_E
19-Oct-2015, 10:39
Mine arrived today in Toronto Canada
happy camper here….

p.s.
and I know all of our US and other international friends are biting their nails wondering how our national election will turn out. I voted today already.

plywood
19-Oct-2015, 12:31
Fingers crossed for yet another week awaiting a USA tracking number. Would love to get some fall shooting in. :(

On the KS site, in the main comments section I asked Ben to comment directly on just when we could expect USA shipments ro begin. He said they will generate tracking numbers this week. Of course actual pickup and transit of the shipment could take place later than just assigning tracking numbers. I certianly hope that he is able to fulfill his statement of intent.

Andrew O'Neill
19-Oct-2015, 17:49
I received my tracking number just over two weeks ago. No clue where the package is, though. At least I know it's been sent! If Frank in Toronto got his, then I should be getting mine soon.

Frank_E
19-Oct-2015, 18:05
I received my tracking number just over two weeks ago. No clue where the package is, though. At least I know it's been sent! If Frank in Toronto got his, then I should be getting mine soon.

Andrew, to give you some frame of reference, it arrived via Canada Post and the charges were $10 for handling plus sales tax.

munz6869
19-Oct-2015, 19:33
Mine just arrived in sunny Melbourne! Looking forward to getting home and popping in the 90mm...

Marc!

Andrew O'Neill
19-Oct-2015, 22:25
Andrew, to give you some frame of reference, it arrived via Canada Post and the charges were $10 for handling plus sales tax.

Thanks, Frank. Did you have to pay that at the door?

Nigel Smith
19-Oct-2015, 22:39
Mine just arrived in sunny Melbourne! Looking forward to getting home and popping in the 90mm...

Marc!

which means mine might be at work... had the day off today!

WayneStevenson
20-Oct-2015, 06:49
I haven't received mine in Alberta yet.

When Canada Customs gets hold of my packages, I usually get a parcel card and have to pick it up at the post office to pay the GST on it.

Nicolasllasera
20-Oct-2015, 07:53
I have heard of two supporters that got their cameras here in Spain.

Frank_E
20-Oct-2015, 17:53
Thanks, Frank. Did you have to pay that at the door?

yes I did
if not at home the alternative is to pick up at the post office and pay there, as I am sure you are aware

Andrew O'Neill
21-Oct-2015, 18:46
Canada Post delivery notice in my mail box. Hmmm... what could it be?

Simon B
22-Oct-2015, 03:25
Received mine yesterday! I'm using a Fujinon 90/f8 rather than the Angulon, so its a bit front-heavy, but entirely manageable. I've set it up as per the instruction leaflet and I'll be taking some shots with it this weekend weather permitting!

David Aimone
22-Oct-2015, 15:04
I want my two cameras in America. Update? That's all.

David (asking a reasonable question after almost two and a half years and counting so moderators please don't give me grief) Aimone

Roger Thoms
22-Oct-2015, 15:15
Hey I just want to know if it's realistic to expect my camera by Chrismas. Or should I start thinking of an alternative Chrismas gift for myself. ��

Roger

rfesk
22-Oct-2015, 17:02
I think you will receive your two cameras sooner rather than later.

Actually in a post a few days ago it was stated that they were planning to generate address labels this week.

I want my two cameras in America. Update? That's all.

David (asking a reasonable question after almost two and a half years and counting so moderators please don't give me grief) Aimone

sperdynamite
22-Oct-2015, 21:01

Actually in a post a few days ago it was stated that they were planning to generate address labels this week.

I really hope I at least receive a tracking # tomorrow. This hope/let down cycle is getting exhausting.

Andrew O'Neill
22-Oct-2015, 21:28
Guess what I got today!

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/615/21777905964_a69734ac5f_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/zbrsHj)My Travelwide (https://flic.kr/p/zbrsHj) by Andrew O'Neill (https://www.flickr.com/photos/62974341@N02/), on Flickr

Andrew O'Neill
22-Oct-2015, 21:29
My Fujinon f/8 fits very nicely on it. I'll calibrate it tomorrow. Guess what I'm doing this weekend!

plywood
22-Oct-2015, 22:26

Generating labels and a shipment leaving their studio may be days apart. Only time will tell. If I were them I'd want to get as many people taken care of as fast as possibile. They have to fulfill the original Kickstarter obligations and the pre-sales before they can order up another batch and try to recoupe the huge out of pocket expense they have incurred trying to complete this project.

pierre506
23-Oct-2015, 00:22
Great news~
I just got my 3 Wanderlusts 2 minutes ago.

WayneStevenson
23-Oct-2015, 18:26
Mine arrived yesterday.

Corran
24-Oct-2015, 12:39
YES!

Got a shipment notification moments ago!! Maybe I'll have it in hand for a trip next weekend! USA backers REJOICE!

Tracy Storer
24-Oct-2015, 12:57
Yeah, me too, (backer #612) but keep your shirt on, my email says it "shipped" on 10/28 which is this coming Wednesday. Which is still fine with me, it is indeed, the best KS update ever !

YES!

Got a shipment notification moments ago!! Maybe I'll have it in hand for a trip next weekend! USA backers REJOICE!

Winger
24-Oct-2015, 13:05
YES!

Yup, same here. And same deal with the "shipped on 10-28," but that's still fine.

charleymeyer
24-Oct-2015, 13:06
Yea!, Mine's also being shipped (backer #20). Charley

Tin Can
24-Oct-2015, 13:16
This makes me very happy! 😜

Roger Cole
24-Oct-2015, 13:34
Yeah, me too, (backer #612) but keep your shirt on, my email says it "shipped" on 10/28 which is this coming Wednesday. Which is still fine with me, it is indeed, the best KS update ever !

Yeah just got mine and it says the same thing. It time travels too!

Corran
24-Oct-2015, 13:36
Perhaps 10/28 is the expected delivery date?!

I can dream, can't I? ;)

Ben Syverson
24-Oct-2015, 13:49
10/28 will be the actual shipping date (fingers crossed)—that's the earliest we could schedule a pickup. Once you have a few hundred pounds of cameras, they don't want you just dropping them at the PO. :)

I'm excited! 2/3 of our Kickstarter rewards are taken care of, and then the preorders will ship. We're almost exactly 50% through our total obligations (KS + Preorder). I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it might not even be a train!

Andrew O'Neill
24-Oct-2015, 13:52
Calibrated my lens (fujinon f/8) this morning. I find the helical to be quite stiff. It wasn't so when I first took it out of the box a few days ago. Nice and smooth. Must be due to the humidity here on the wet coast. Calibration was a piece of cake and the distance markings are accurate. I just wish they were easier to see! I'm thinking of painting them white.

Corran
24-Oct-2015, 13:55
10/28 will be the actual shipping date

Darn! Well, okay, guess I'll pack my regular 4x5.............
Actually, I should probably do a mail hold.

Jim Cole
24-Oct-2015, 14:07
Yep, same here!!!! Yippee!!!!!

sperdynamite
24-Oct-2015, 14:19
HOT DAMN!!!! Happy dance!!!

USA! USA! USA!

:-)

Nigel Smith
24-Oct-2015, 14:39
Calibration was a piece of cake and the distance markings are accurate. I just wish they were easier to see! I'm thinking of painting them white.

me too!

Andrew O'Neill
24-Oct-2015, 17:11
Nigel, is your helical easy to turn?

Andrew O'Neill
24-Oct-2015, 18:19
Okay. Originally I wasn't going to bother accessorizing with viewfinder, but decided to get one anyway. I don't know if that wire frame thingy will do it for me.

Nigel Smith
24-Oct-2015, 19:16
firm but turns, won't get bumped easy which I think is good.

Speaking of the viewfinder thingy, are the two frames supposed to be bent towards each other?

Andrew O'Neill
24-Oct-2015, 20:29
Yes, stiff is good but it's much stiffer than it was a few days ago. I think the two frames are meant to be vertical. Mine are.

RHITMrB
24-Oct-2015, 21:49
No shipping notification here despite a low backer number. I hope the backers due two cameras, like myself, don't have to wait even longer just because of that.

rfesk
25-Oct-2015, 05:46
I would rather have mine stiff than loose.

Actually, for the most part the helical won't get much turning in use because of the depth of field of the 90 lens on 4X5. At F/16 and with the focus distance set at 20 feet the depth of field is from 9 ft to infinity.

Calibrated my lens (fujinon f/8) this morning. I find the helical to be quite stiff. It wasn't so when I first took it out of the box a few days ago. Nice and smooth. Must be due to the humidity here on the wet coast. Calibration was a piece of cake and the distance markings are accurate. I just wish they were easier to see! I'm thinking of painting them white.

plywood
25-Oct-2015, 05:57
No shipping notification here despite a low backer number. I hope the backers due two cameras, like myself, don't have to wait even longer just because of that.
Has your email address changed? Perhaps they are attempting to send the notification to an older email address.

RHITMrB
25-Oct-2015, 09:55
Has your email address changed? Perhaps they are attempting to send the notification to an older email address.

Nope.

ah693973
25-Oct-2015, 13:08
Same here. Two cameras, lowish backer #, and no notice.

Given the history of this project, we might have to wait another 2-3 months for them to get around to sending ours. "We are busy sourcing special two camera boxes, we will update you weekly".

Sigh..........

Roger Thoms
25-Oct-2015, 13:31
I'll be totally jazzed if mine arrives by Christmas, but realistically I'm thinking the first quarter of 2016. It is encouraging that people are beginning to receive their cameras. What I really need to do is build my darkroom, which might just happen, as work seems to have slowed way down. Next big project starts early Jan, seems no one wanted to build or remodel grocery stores over the holidays.

Ben Syverson
25-Oct-2015, 14:14
Same here. Two cameras, lowish backer #, and no notice.

Given the history of this project, we might have to wait another 2-3 months for them to get around to sending ours. "We are busy sourcing special two camera boxes, we will update you weekly".

Sigh..........
Thanks for the support!

Tin Can
25-Oct-2015, 14:25
Thanks for the support!

:).

ah693973
25-Oct-2015, 15:04
At one time you obviously had my support. $189 worth of support.

My support was yours to lose and you did. Endless delays, broken promises, and lackadaisical communication will make this seem like a loss to me even if I do eventually get my cameras.

Corran
25-Oct-2015, 15:07
I say refund this guy and sell them to those that want them. Sheesh. I'll probably be game for a second one eventually.

HMG
25-Oct-2015, 15:39
At one time you obviously had my support. $189 worth of support.

My support was yours to lose and you did. Endless delays, broken promises, and lackadaisical communication will make this seem like a loss to me even if I do eventually get my cameras.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. And I suspect you'll be able to sell your 2 cameras and recoup your money with interest.

But here's my opinion. These 2 guys had a really good idea. They underestimated the difficulty and perhaps overestimated their manufacturing experience. They chose a venue for funding that recognizes the uncertainty of production and fulfillment as well as the possibility of never seeing a return on your investment. They invested a great deal of their own time and (I assume) money - far more than they originally anticipated - when most would have given up leaving backers with nothing. And now people are complaining over an extra 2-3 weeks of delay.

I do agree their communication has been poor. I suspect they felt it better to spend time solving problems then telling people what the problems are and how they plan to solve them. But more frequent updates would have been a worthwhile investment of time.

Andrew O'Neill
25-Oct-2015, 15:43
It was a great ride and it kinda feels sad that's it's over. No wait, it's not over. I have a camera to play with!

Drew Bedo
25-Oct-2015, 15:56
I say refund this guy and sell them to those that want them. Sheesh. I'll probably be game for a second one eventually.

Can I buy this formerly-gruntled ex-supporter's cameras instead?

Tin Can
25-Oct-2015, 15:58
Can I buy this formerly-gruntled ex-supporter's cameras instead?

PM him.

Drew Bedo
25-Oct-2015, 15:59
Good idea . . .PM sent.

Anybody else unhappy and willing to sell their place in line?

ah693973
25-Oct-2015, 16:39
Drew,

That would be a silly move on my part. Wait 2-1/2 years and then sell my place? I still have high hopes that the camera is worth the wait.

Listen, it is my guess that they did not work that hard on this. I have significant experience with projects more difficult than this and in my opinion a reasonably concerted effort would have gotten to the finish line much sooner than it did. Let's just take the shipping for example. Last week we heard that they were working on the best way to ship domestically. They have had the parts for over 6 weeks! IIRC. What in the world have they been doing? They had plenty of time to figure out the shipping while the parts were running as well.

It is a $128,000 project, if it was mine I would be doing it differently. I totally understand how people can have different opinions on this however.

Peter De Smidt
25-Oct-2015, 17:15
"...it is my guess...." Exactly.

Andrew O'Neill
25-Oct-2015, 18:13
It is worth the wait. I just took mine out to the river and exposed a couple of sheets. Tested for infinity focus and close up, lens wide open. They look quite nice sitting in the tray of wash water.

Ben Syverson
25-Oct-2015, 18:55
Drew,

That would be a silly move on my part. Wait 2-1/2 years and then sell my place? I still have high hopes that the camera is worth the wait.

Listen, it is my guess that they did not work that hard on this. I have significant experience with projects more difficult than this and in my opinion a reasonably concerted effort would have gotten to the finish line much sooner than it did. Let's just take the shipping for example. Last week we heard that they were working on the best way to ship domestically. They have had the parts for over 6 weeks! IIRC. What in the world have they been doing? They had plenty of time to figure out the shipping while the parts were running as well.

It is a $128,000 project, if it was mine I would be doing it differently. I totally understand how people can have different opinions on this however.
You've done a project more difficult than this?

Name it.

ah693973
25-Oct-2015, 19:11
Van's aircraft. RV -7, RV -8, and RV-9. Lead engineer.

Several $250K+ pharmaceutical projects in a roundabout way for Pfizer. (Bend Research)

HMG
25-Oct-2015, 19:11
Drew,

So is it "will make this seem like a loss to me even if I do eventually get my cameras" or "I still have high hopes that the camera is worth the wait"? Seems inconsistent to me.

Winger
25-Oct-2015, 19:22

Several $250K+ pharmaceutical projects in a roundabout way for Pfizer. (Bend Research)

By yourself? I'm "guessing" you had a little more help.

rdenney
25-Oct-2015, 19:27
Plus it was his day job.

Rick "for whom this is the closest a Kickstarter project has come to actual delivery" Denney

Ben Syverson
25-Oct-2015, 19:29

So from what I understand, you have experience working with well-equipped teams in tightly regulated markets.

Have you ever poured thousands of hours of work and tens of thousands of dollars of your own money into a completely speculative project you designed? Probably not, unless you're as dumb as I am.

So classic for an engineer to think he can do it better, though.

Kirk Gittings
25-Oct-2015, 19:30

Sooooo you thought these guys had your kind of expertise and resources? Did you not actually look at the project and their backgrounds? I knew at first glance that this would have a lot of twists and turns but also had confidence that they would ultimately figure it out, which they did. I frankly invested in them-not a camera.

Roger Cole
25-Oct-2015, 19:33
Sooooo you thought these guys had your kind of expertise? Did you not actually look at the project and their backgrounds? I knew at first glance that this would have a lot of twists and turns but also had confidence that they would ultimately figure it out, which they did. I frankly invested in them-not a camera.

+1

Though looking forward to my camera, of course!

Kirk Gittings
25-Oct-2015, 19:39
+! yep

Tracy Storer
25-Oct-2015, 19:42
Looking forward to my fabulous, fun, inexpensive camera, created by a couple guys in Chicago with a cool idea. Blowhard know-it-all whiners notwithstanding.

Andrew O'Neill
25-Oct-2015, 19:43
It's worth the wait. Trust me.

Nigel Smith
25-Oct-2015, 19:47
I'm having a ball... doing test shots :) just wait until I take it out for real :)

ah693973
25-Oct-2015, 19:53
So is it "will make this seem like a loss to me even if I do eventually get my cameras" or "I still have high hopes that the camera is worth the wait"? Seems inconsistent to me.

It doesn't seem that inconsistent to me. This is a project that should have taken 6 months to a year (if things went wrong). The fact that it has taken 2 and a half years makes it seem like a loss to me. Have I ever said a bad word about the camera itself?

ah693973
25-Oct-2015, 20:03
By yourself? I'm "guessing" you had a little more help.

Bethe,

Many of the Pfizer projects were designed and built (welding and machining) nearly exclusively by me.

We had 2 other engineers, 2 draftsmen, and 2 prototype builders at Van's Aircraft plus or minus.

But it is a silly comparison really. Ben asked me to "lay my cards on the table" and I did.

ah693973
25-Oct-2015, 20:24
So from what I understand, you have experience working with well-equipped teams in tightly regulated markets.

Have you ever poured thousands of hours of work and tens of thousands of dollars of your own money into a completely speculative project you designed? Probably not, unless you're as dumb as I am.

So classic for an engineer to think he can do it better, though.

Ben,

You asked me for my experience and I obliged. These were not tightly regulated markets. Van's Aircraft makes kits for the experimental market. Bend Research is on the leading edge of pharmaceutical research. They were tiny teams in the "wild West".

Yes, I have created a company and burned through about $40k of my hard earned money in a flash. I didn't have much of a skill for marketing however (In spite of my sparkling personality :-)), so it soon became apparent that it wasn't going to feed the family. I shut it down and went to work for Bend Research. Nobody waited longer than UPS shipping times for their product, everyone got what they paid for. So yes, I am as dumb as you are :-).

I do think the project could have been done better (Mainly in areas other than engineering). Just my opinion.

letchhausen
25-Oct-2015, 20:27
These guys have day jobs, this is not their full time gig unlike yours. This was a kickstarter project which typically is based more on a good idea than years of experience. It isn't like they were designers for Hasselblad doing this on their lunch break. Your comparison to your day job shows confusion about anecdotal evidence. Sheesh. Silly, yes, definitely. I have a lot of admiration and respect for this guys gutting their way through a series of painful issues. Many KS projects collapse in the face of less so hats off to Ben and team for actually delivering on this. When you design a camera from scratch on your own, in your spare time, then you'll know what you're talking about. Until then it sounds like just a bunch of disgruntled hot air.

Peter De Smidt
25-Oct-2015, 20:27
Let's waste more of Ben's time. That'll make the cameras get sent out faster.

Oren Grad
25-Oct-2015, 20:38
Our advice of last May...

Give it a rest.

Rick "tired of incessant whining" Denney

Like Rick said, give it a rest....

Further updates about project status or about the product itself are welcome. But persistent axe-grinding may result in post deletion.

...is still in effect.

Tin Can
25-Oct-2015, 21:09
Check the KS update. Good things today!

Jim Cole
25-Oct-2015, 21:44
Yeah, latest update is freaking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Justin, you rock!

Ben Syverson
25-Oct-2015, 21:52
Sorry to stir the pot, mods! I'll try to set a better example.

Just so this message isn't a total waste, here's a Fuji FP-3000B negative that I recently washed and scanned, showing some Travelwides (shot on a Travelwide of course). It's interesting to compare it to the print (split screen in the second image). The negative is sharper, with better latitude, but more grain. Honestly, they're both interesting. The positive has remarkably little grain for an ISO 3200 contact print.

http://wanderlustcameras.com/images/2015/3000-01-travelwides-neg.jpg

Positive / negative split:
http://wanderlustcameras.com/images/2015/3000-01-travelwides-split.jpg

Drew Bedo
26-Oct-2015, 08:15
The following is intended to be positive and conversational:

There must be 50-100 units in the hands of founders by now . . .and I AM guessing! Yet noone has posted an un-boxing video to YouTube. I would encourage someone to do so. let us all share in your joy.

Oren Grad
26-Oct-2015, 08:23
Not a video, but for starters check out Jan Caspary's unboxing snaps:

http://imgur.com/a/AwnxN

Jim Cole
27-Oct-2015, 06:21
Anybody in the last batch that Justin dropped off at the PO this past weekend actually have a working tracking number yet? In other words, when I click on my tracking number, I get a "number not found" notice.

I figured that all the packages should have been scanned by the PO by now.

Corran
27-Oct-2015, 06:23
Anybody in the last batch that Justin dropped off at the PO this past weekend actually have a working tracking number yet? In other words, when I click on my tracking number, I get a "number not found" notice.

I was having this issue yesterday but it seems to be resolved, mine is in the system! Oh man I hope it comes tomorrow, so I can bring it on my trip. A birthday present for myself! (Today's my 30th...:cool:)

Jim Cole
27-Oct-2015, 07:29
I was having this issue yesterday but it seems to be resolved, mine is in the system! Oh man I hope it comes tomorrow, so I can bring it on my trip. A birthday present for myself! (Today's my 30th...:cool:)

That's great! I hope you get it in time. Still no joy here with my tracking number.

Tracy Storer
27-Oct-2015, 07:30
My tracking nuber went "live" late yesterday.

BarryS
27-Oct-2015, 07:38
Jim-- My tracking number was in the system late yesterday afternoon. Yours will probably go live today.

Oren Grad
27-Oct-2015, 08:21
(Today's my 30th...:cool:)

Happy today, and may your present arrive ASAP! :)

David Aimone
27-Oct-2015, 08:33
Asking for a friend who pre-ordered one on their website, not through kickstarter. Does the current batch of manufactured cameras including non-KS orders?

Gadfly_1971
27-Oct-2015, 09:10
Asking for a friend who pre-ordered one on their website, not through kickstarter. Does the current batch of manufactured cameras including non-KS orders?

Ben has indicated that no pre-orders (non-KS) have been shipped. They still have more backer rewards to ship before they get to the pre-order units AFAIK.

plywood
27-Oct-2015, 12:45

In the past I have had USPS tracking numbers behave strangely. On one package from the east coast after 4 days there were no updates on the tracking number, then on the day it arrived the whole sequence of all the waypoints filled in at the same time. Like I said, strange.

Jim Cole
27-Oct-2015, 13:32
In the past I have had USPS tracking numbers behave strangely. On one package from the east coast after 4 days there were no updates on the tracking number, then on the day it arrived the whole sequence of all the waypoints filled in at the same time. Like I said, strange.

I'll give it a day or two more before I worry about it.

David Aimone
27-Oct-2015, 14:13
I wasn't asking if they had been shipped, but if they were manufactured and on-site to be shipped later, after the KS rewards.

Ben has indicated that no pre-orders (non-KS) have been shipped. They still have more backer rewards to ship before they get to the pre-order units AFAIK.

Roger Thoms
27-Oct-2015, 14:27
I wasn't asking if they had been shipped, but if they were manufactured and on-site to be shipped later, after the KS rewards.

I believe they did manufacture enough cameras and have them on hand to fulfill the preorders. These should ship after the backers cameras have shipped.

Roger

Winger
27-Oct-2015, 14:42

I get the same thing still, but I don't always put much faith in the USPS tracking updates. I've gotten at least three packages that had been lost according to the tracking, but showed up fine. I'll give it until next week before I start to make noises.

I'm looking forward to trying the pinhole. I can't remember now - does the Polaroid 405 fit it? 'Instant' pinholes would be cool.

Roger Thoms
27-Oct-2015, 14:51
Jim, remember your dealing with USPS, tracking info can definitely lag. I'm sure everything is fine and your camera is on it's way. Just the same I wish you all the luck inn the world. :)

Roger

sperdynamite
27-Oct-2015, 16:04
I am planning on shooting the 'stephen spielberg' of unboxing videos.

Ben Syverson
27-Oct-2015, 17:25
I am planning on shooting the 'stephen spielberg' of unboxing videos.

Haha, I love it. If you want to go full Spielberg, you have to start with the reaction shot.

EXT. FRONT STOOP - DAY
Mark, sitting on the his stoop, catches sight of the mail carrier in the distance.He SLOWLY stands and takes off his sunglasses in disbelief.

I think you could milk that for a full minute before you even show the box.