PDA

View Full Version : More on ExpoDev for iOS (iPhone and iPod Touch)

david.jade
8-Feb-2012, 17:58
I've started a new series of articles on ExpoDev for iOS where I'll cover features, how it works, and what makes ExpoDev so unique as an exposure calculator.

Here's a snippet, with a series of other articles to follow soon:

"ExpoDev has many unique features that you won’t find anywhere else, such as calculating exposures based on personal film test data, the only exposure calculator which applies reciprocity adjustments that are based on actual lab-produced film tests for a multitude of film and developer combinations..."

http://blog.mutable.net/post/2012/02/08/ExpoDev-for-iOS-series-and-Beta-2-kick-off.aspx

Topics I plan to cover are: personal film test data, reciprocity adjustments, targeting negatives for different printing processes, etc...

jonreid
9-Feb-2012, 01:41
Speaking of apps, is anyone using PhotoTools Pro and actually getting it to work without crashing? I've messaged the developer with no response....

Jon

Asher Kelman
9-Feb-2012, 01:50
David,

I had a look and your blog is interesting indeed. I plan to follow it. Thanks, Asher

Ken Lee
9-Feb-2012, 04:44
Given that the app is for iOS, how does it integrate with the other BTZS tools - aren't they for Windows only ?

jeroldharter
9-Feb-2012, 06:03
I use ExpoDev for Palm. I'm interested. Would love to see some screen shots.

Would this interact wit the Plotter software?

jeroldharter
9-Feb-2012, 06:04
I should have read more of the blog!

David de Gruyl
9-Feb-2012, 06:54
BTZS Plotter runs fine on Code Weaver's crossover, which is a (fairly cheap) piece of software for running windows programs on Mac. It is based on Wine, which is free but support is ... spotty at best. The lack of support was why I paid for crossover.

david.jade
10-Feb-2012, 12:36
Given that the app is for iOS, how does it integrate with the other BTZS tools - aren't they for Windows only ?

Plotter is a Windows only app but it runs fine under any of the various schemes for running Windows apps on a Mac (Parallels, Crossover, boot camp, etc...).

As far as integration, you do need your film test data from Plotter. Plotter will export that data in a special format that ExpoDev will then use to calculate exposures. You transfer these special files to iOS devices via email attachments or iTunes. You can do this transfer with iTunes on a Mac or PC.

If you've already gotten your film test data via the View Camera Store's film testing service, then all you need is your test files to import into ExpoDev. Plotter is not needed.

David

david.jade
10-Feb-2012, 12:44
I use ExpoDev for Palm. I'm interested. Would love to see some screen shots.

Would this interact wit the Plotter software?

There are some screen shots of the pre-beta app on my blog.The beta isn't too different that what you see here: http://blog.mutable.net/post/2011/12/16/ExpoDev-for-iOS-early-preview.aspx

ExpoDev uses the film test files produced by Plotter but that is the extent of the integration. Plotter is not needed beyond getting those files. So if you have your files already (and you do if you already use the Palm) you would just transfer those files into ExpoDev (via email attachments or iTunes on a Mac or PC).

David