PDA

View Full Version : Expired Polaroid care

John Conway
7-Feb-2012, 20:13
I am wondering if it would be a good idea to put my expired Polaroid film in the fridge. I actually never put my Polaroid film (non expired) in the fridge.

Ari
7-Feb-2012, 20:17
It shouldn't matter; at this point, it is paramount that the chemicals in the pods do not dry out.
If you do put the film in the fridge, allow for plenty of warm-up time, shoot in a warm place, and give the pods a little "massage" before use.

John Conway
7-Feb-2012, 20:42
Ari,thanks for the advice. I bought some unopened 57 that expired in 03, a box of 56 sepia and a box of 53 with an 09 expiration. I also have an almost full box of 55 that I found in my closet. Should be fun.

Ari
7-Feb-2012, 21:51
John, I had the 55 in mind when I posted; what I said applies to all pod-type film, but of course, 55 is a little more special.
Enjoy it.

jcoldslabs
8-Feb-2012, 03:57
I have read that humidity (as in keeping it low) is more important with expired Polaroid materials than refrigeration. Anecdotal evidence bears this out. I am currently shooting with some type 55 that expired in 1981 that was, according to the seller, never refrigerated and it works fine for its age all things considered. However, I recently picked up some type 59 from 2001 that was claimed to be refrigerated its whole life and it was useless.

Because of this I have been keeping my Polaroid 4x5 films in Ziplock bags in a large plastic storage box in my basement. Keeping it cool and dry has worked for me.

Jonathan

Frank Petronio
8-Feb-2012, 05:28
How can a basement in Portland be considered dry?

BrianShaw
8-Feb-2012, 07:20
Wasn't all Polaroid professional product intended to be refrigerated? I know my supplier always did, and I stored it that way, and I would not buy from anyone who did not refrigerate it.

Regarding humidity... that was ALWAYS an issue and the reason why it was foil sealed at the factory. Humdity control isn't an issue with intact factory sealed packages but becomes a real issue when storing opened packages.

Henry Ambrose
8-Feb-2012, 08:33
Its not going to keep forever.
Shoot it while its good.

jcoldslabs
8-Feb-2012, 14:58
Frank,

That's why the film is in Ziplock bags inside a sealed Rubbermaid box! I figured the generally cool atmosphere--albeit a bit damp overall--was better than being in the hot-and-cold garage or using up valuable food space in the fridge.

J.

John Conway
8-Feb-2012, 15:10
Yeah, I think cool and dry will work. I'm getting excited waiting for my Polaroid. The whole darn product line was so cool. I remember how much I enjoyed going to B&H to get another box, all the different big numbered boxes, always trying something different. The 51 high contrast was my favorite.

jcoldslabs
8-Feb-2012, 15:12
I'm lucky to have a few boxes of type 51 left and they work just fine. Good luck with yours. I am shooting less and less as it gets more precious to me (my precioussssss!!!!) but I really enjoy it.

gliderbee
9-Feb-2012, 09:25
Yeah, I think cool and dry will work. I'm getting excited waiting for my Polaroid. The whole darn product line was so cool. I remember how much I enjoyed going to B&H to get another box, all the different big numbered boxes, always trying something different. The 51 high contrast was my favorite.

What is considered "cool" ? How many degrees approx. ? I'm very interested because my fridge is full, and I have some more to store ...

Stefan.