PDA

View Full Version : Problem with VHR rangefinder

LelandRay
6-Feb-2012, 18:26
I have a Horseman VHR with a 90mm rangefinder cam which is supposed to work both with the 90mm and 105mm f3.5 lenses. I have the 105, but when I try to use the lens, the rangefinder will not track with the lens. The lens is factory mounted in a Horseman board which is slightly recessed (4-6mm). I purchased the lens specifically for use with the rangefinder, and until I get something worked out it's just a paperweight.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? The previous owner of the camera moved the infinity stops around, and I reset the stops using the same method I've used successfully with both Crown Graphic and Speed Graphics. Am I missing something?

I appreciate any help ya'll might have. This has turned into a hairpulling (and expensive) debacle.

ic-racer
7-Feb-2012, 10:57
I have a Horseman VHR with a 90mm rangefinder cam which is supposed to work both with the 90mm and 105mm f3.5 lenses.

??
Not without breaking some law of physics:p

If your cam says 90mm on it then look for a 105 cam. If your cam says 105 on it then look for a 90mm cam and you will be very happy and have more hair. There were some cams on ebay recently.

Yes, both the 105 and 90 cams are RED but realize they are engraved with different focal lengths :) So, even though the shutter cock on both 105 and 90 are RED, they still need the cam with the matching focal length number.

The two lenses share the same RED INFINITY STOP (thus the recessed lensboard on the 90, that gives it the same 'Flange Back 1' distance as the 105). It is because it is not possible to make the infinity stops that close together.

I hope this helps.

LelandRay
7-Feb-2012, 11:34
Aha! The instruction manual is just confusing. It clearly shows the 90 and 105 as using the same cam.

Another question: are there different 105 cams, or will any cam work, at least marginally?

ic-racer
7-Feb-2012, 11:55
Aha! The instruction manual is just confusing. It clearly shows the 90 and 105 as using the same cam.

Another question: are there different 105 cams, or will any cam work, at least marginally?

Any Horseman 105 cam you can get your hands on will work fine as long as it is not damaged. No 'serial number matching' to worry about.

I use the same 105 cam for both the fast-compact 105/3.5 and the bigger 105/4.5. So there is a case where the same cam can be used but DIFFERENT infinity stops are used.

LelandRay
7-Feb-2012, 12:01
Luckily I know how to adjust infinity stops. I have the f3.5 lens, and while I'm paying an arm, a leg, and one lung to get it, I have the 105 cam on the way.

ic-racer
7-Feb-2012, 12:06
Since you are setting up for rangefinder use I can say to be sure your ground glass is in the correct position. You can easily set the infinity stops for the ground glass, but if the ground glass is not in the correct place you images will still be out of focus. Best way is to actually take some pictues at infinity, a little in front and a little behind and see which is best on film. Then screw down the infinity stops at that position. You may need to shim the ground glass also. It is a little tedious and requires trial and error.
Also, depending on the time between shots, the temperature and the type of film, you may occasionally encounter film bulge in the center of the frame. This sends the focus out beyond infinity. The film holder has springs that try to hold the spools tight but even that is not enough. It is a pitty all that precision can go to waste without a vacuum back.
If I really need a shot to come out good with perfectly flat film, I'll use the little 2x3in sheet film holder or use a 4x5 camera instead.

I have every lens and most of the accessories. Let me know if you have more questions. I also can detail the steps needed to set the front detends.

LelandRay
7-Feb-2012, 12:14
Well, the previous owner of the camera had reset the stops to his own preferences and lenses, so I was stuck with out of focus photos. I reset the stops and now get nice, sharp ones. All I have to do now is get it set up for this last lens and I'm in good shape.

I posted some f8 samples of tests with the 75mm in the image sharing forum. I can live with the results as they are; if I want to do "serious" landscapes I'll go with my view camera and shoot 4x5, but I wanted something that used the wider 6x9 instead of the 6x7 my SLRs use.

And it's just such a cool camera; I've always wanted one and was able to work a horse(man) trade with a friend for it.

ic-racer
9-Feb-2012, 19:10
Nice to see you fixed that camera so it works correctly. I also like my Horseman. I have the complete set of lenses for it and a bunch of other accessories.

LelandRay
10-Feb-2012, 06:30
I have the 90mm cam, and now I'm thinking that maybe I'll pick up a lens to go with it, but I have the 75mm already. Would there be enough difference to justify the expense? Decisions, decisions.

I do have the 75, 105 and 150, and I believe this range will allow me to do just about anything I need to do. I also have adapters which allow me to use all the screw in filters I got in the deal. On the way is the electric grip so I can hold the camera's weight with my right hand as opposed to my left, which has a chronic injury.

So I'm set and ready to go, right? I'm sure I'll think of something else, however -- I always do.