PDA

View Full Version : Ideal air case for limited 8x10 outfit?

David R Munson
20-Nov-2003, 23:41
Because researching this is obviously more important than my art history final in about 6 hours...

I've already searched the archives for a while and have gotten some good info, but nothing that quite answers my question. Given the strong possibility that I might be going to grad school outside of the US, and also given that I just want more storage/transport options while I'm here in the US, I'm investigating air cases for some of my gear. What I'm looking for, really, is the smallest possible air case that would accomodate a Deardorff 8x10, 1 lens, 4-5 film holders, and maybe a meter and a loupe. I've looked over the offerings of Lightware and Tenba, and found some that look like they might work, but not having the opportunity to handle these things, I can't be sure of how well they would work for the purpose.

Anyone have any experience with a case that would fill this purpose? Thanks in advance.

Jean-Louis Llech
21-Nov-2003, 04:48
Sorry to ask silly questions but would you prefer a hard or a soft case, with or without rollers ?
I think that it must be the first step of your investigations.
Regards
JLL

Pete Caluori
21-Nov-2003, 06:42
Greetings,

No experience with the two brands you mentioned, but you might want to check Pelican hard-sided cases. I have a 1610 (with rollers) that will hold my 8x10, 3 holders and 3-4 lenses, with plenty of protection.

Regards, Pete

David R Munson
21-Nov-2003, 06:49
Definitely hard-sided, no real need for rollers. I'm thinking something along the lines of the Tenba air case I have for my Profoto gear - fabric-covered, but definitely still hard-sided.

James Driscoll
21-Nov-2003, 07:20
Go with the Pelican...I had an extended four month job in Paris last year and I packed a Sinar with 6 lenses and a polaroid back into a Pelican 1610 case. The luggage handlers can throw it around all they want and nothing will happen to it.

I also worked out of the case....I stood on it for about 80% of 500 shots. My assistants and I also used it has a seat, a table to eat off of, and a desk. All with no ill effects to the $1000's of dollars of "cargo" inside of it.

If you are going to use the case just for "shipping" go with the foam inserts...you will have to "pick" apart the foam for the shapes you want but it "grips" the equipment better for shipping. If you want to work out of it....purchase the inserts so you can put compartments in...but still use the foam for shipping.

The other thing...is the pelican case isn't to pricey (large fabric cases are expensive) and unlike fabric...it looks cool when it is beat up. The cheap foam inserts that you customize yourself make the pelican extremely versitle and will always come in handy when your a pro.

Ted Harris
21-Nov-2003, 08:01
The Pelikan is a good choice but there are two others:

1) The Porter Photo Case. I have been using one of these for 2 years now and it is a joy. It holds my Phillips 8x10, a couple of lenses, lightmeter, darkcloth, etc. If you leve out the darkcloth I am sure you can get in a couple more film holders. The case has the added advantage of being usable as a luggage cart and you can put an additional 200 pounds on top of it. It is truly unique and reasonably priced at B&H. Take a hard look. Mine has traveled as baggage across the country a few times.

2) An Anvil case (or any other ATA certified case). I mean Anvil not Anvil type ... unless it is some other brand that is ATA certified. These are all over the place used and you jsut need to find the best size and refit it to yoru needs. They are heavy but are impervious to most anything short of nuclear war. When I say ATA certified what I mean is that they are certified by the Air Transport Association to meet specifications for baggage transport without fear of damage. Technically, if you ship any case as baggae that is not ATA certified you might find it difficult to collect on an insurance calim for equipment that was damaged during transport so that is one real good reason for these cases.

When I say heavy though I mean heavy! When I absolutely must move my Horseman monorail I pack it in one of these and the case it self weighs over 20 pounds. If you are going to be doing much international travel then this may be the only sensible way to go if you want to insure your eqipment arrives savely every time.

Ellis Vener
21-Nov-2003, 09:02
Lightware. Better protection than Pelican (I have both) and lighter weight. Over the years I've had better luck with durability with my Lightware cases than my Tenba Air cases. I also have Zarges , Zero-Halliburton, & Anvil cases.

Frank Petronio
21-Nov-2003, 11:41
http://www.versa-flex.com/ custom cases like Tenba and Liteware

http://www.strebor.com/ European custom cases, popular with wealthy ULF photogs

Pete Roody
21-Nov-2003, 11:42
If you go for the Pelican case, check out www.gexar.com. They make a bakcpack frame for the Pelican cases.

Also Kinesis Photo Gear has links for their competitors and lots of useful info on camera bags, case, etc. http://www.kinesisgear.com/competitors.html#manuf

tim atherton
21-Nov-2003, 12:16
http://www.strebor.com/ European custom cases, popular with wealthy ULF photogs

Canada is classed as part of Europe now?

Frank Petronio
21-Nov-2003, 13:26
Sorry. They're out of my range, didn't spend much time looking.

Also, add Porta Brace to your list. They make cases for video mostly but very high quality and they do customize things - nice stuff, lame website (like the other websites...)

http://www.portabrace.com/

David R Munson
21-Nov-2003, 15:02
I didn't know what I was getting into when I asked this question! Turns out I have a lot more options than I had thought I did. I'm sure I'll be able to find something to fit my needs without much trouble now. Thanks much.

jerry brodkey
21-Nov-2003, 17:53
Question - if you travel by air and check these cases do you lock them? The airlines frown on locked bags. How do you handle that?

Pete Caluori
21-Nov-2003, 20:06
Greetings,

As Ted mentions the Anvil cases are first rate and are ATA rated. I didn't mention one in my earlier post because they are custom made, usually expensive and quite heavy. I have one and it's a beast, but it will withstand just about anything.

Regards, Pete

Martin Miller
22-Nov-2003, 09:19
If you want to go for minimum bulk, the Lowepro Omni Trekker Extreme might work. This gives you a soft case within a Pelican hard case. Some 8x10s will just fit in it and some not. Chances are that the film holders will not go in there too. Just a thought.

Paul A. Yesnosky
23-Nov-2003, 15:12
David,

I have a Lightware 1420 that I use for my 8x10 gear. I can put my Kodak Master 8x10 with the 8x10 and 5x7 backs, 3-4 lenses, spot meter, filter wallet, dark cloth and loupe in the main case. Small items go in the zippered part of the lid. It works great. Also, FYI the Z5030 is great for 8x10 film holders. You can easily put 8 or so holders and a couple boxes of film in that case. Also, the 1420 can fit in a Pelican-style case if you want maximum protection in checked luggage.

Paul

Chris Ellinger
27-Nov-2003, 07:10
In my opinion, Lightware has the best dividers in the industry. They have a rigid core and padded outside, lock in place with velcro, and can be cut to length for a perfect fit. I think Pelican has a hard case that uses the same dividers, which would be an ideal shipping case.