PDA

View Full Version : meniscus on an 8x10

John Kasaian
3-Feb-2012, 22:51
I'm wondering what local length meniscus would need to cover an 8x10? Or 5x7?Would a 12" work or would it need to be longer to give wiggle room?
According to my Kingslake, a meniscus is good for producing swirlies and I though it might be fun to experiment, not with an expensive old brassy but mount a new one from Anchor, Edmund Surplus or Suprlus Shack--but which focal length?:confused:

Mark Sawyer
3-Feb-2012, 23:19
I'd recommend 14 to 18 inches. A 12" will "illuminate" 8x10, and probably 11x14 as long as you don't mount it in a long barrel, but most will really fall apart at the edges.

Petzval Paul
4-Feb-2012, 08:32
Meniscus lenses, in my experience, have terrific coverage. The perspective is what you need to worry about. if you are doing portraits, shoot for 14" to 16" and you should be fine.

johnielvis
4-Feb-2012, 08:37
swirl....dunno about dat...every meniscus I've had dont' sworl...you need something that produces the asitmatism for that I guess....

jnantz
4-Feb-2012, 09:36
hi john

meniscus lenses do have HUGE coverage.
for best results, flip it so the curved part is towards the film and the flat towards the subject.

a person on apug - reinhold - makes beautiful wollaston meniscus barrel lenses
with waterhouse stops. i know he is planning to make big ones for the ulf crowd
and he is making that will easily cover a 8x10 sheet ...

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/93998-250-mm-f-4-3-wollaston-meniscus-lens.html

i do the same sort of thing for my cardboard cameras and the lenses ( everything from a 170 - 333mm ) easily cover / illuminate a 11x14 sheet of paper ( edges are soft ).

john

John Kasaian
4-Feb-2012, 18:47
hi john

meniscus lenses do have HUGE coverage.
for best results, flip it so the curved part is towards the film and the flat towards the subject.

a person on apug - reinhold - makes beautiful wollaston meniscus barrel lenses
with waterhouse stops. i know he is planning to make big ones for the ulf crowd
and he is making that will easily cover a 8x10 sheet ...

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/93998-250-mm-f-4-3-wollaston-meniscus-lens.html

i do the same sort of thing for my cardboard cameras and the lenses ( everything from a 170 - 333mm ) easily cover / illuminate a 11x14 sheet of paper ( edges are soft ).

john
Thanks john!:) Anchor has quite a few lenses for only a couple of bucks---I think it would be a fun experiment.

Reinhold Schable
4-Feb-2012, 19:57
Howdy all,

In fact I'm in the process of machining a lens mount for a 500mm lens right now.

A few days ago I made a beta 335mm lens and did some evaluations on the illumunated image circle, plotted bellows draw at various focus distances, etc..

The 335's circle is huge, I expect the 500's circle to be awesome.
But I'm not telling 'till I have some figures for both lenses.

They will be quite like the Wollastons I've posted photos of, except bigger.

Stay tuned...

Reinhold

www.Re-inventedPhotoEquip.com

Jan Pedersen
4-Feb-2012, 20:04
Reinhold, Very exiting project you have there.
I am interested in your 335mm so look forward to an update on that lens.
I am by the way just on the other side of the river so howdy neighbor.

John Kasaian
4-Feb-2012, 20:35
Hello Reinhold! Do get any swirlies from you're Wollastons?