PDA

View Full Version : Ansco Ardol?

swookey
3-Feb-2012, 12:12
I was reading a book by Paul Caponigro (I believe it was Voice of the Print) where he lists a lot of the paper and developer combinations he uses, and Ansco Ardol came up on a lot of his prints. I tried to find out more information about it, but didn't really have much luck.

Anyone have any information about Ardol? It's properties? What kind of developer is it? Anything substitutes or formulas for it?

Thanks!

Merg Ross
3-Feb-2012, 12:55
I believe that Ansco Ardol was similar to Kodak's Selectol (D-52). It was a MQ warm-tone paper developer, most likely Ansco 135, which is easily mixed.

swookey
3-Feb-2012, 13:38
Thanks Merg! Any information on the popularity of the developer? Was it a "fringe" developer? Common?

Thanks!

Merg Ross
3-Feb-2012, 14:08
Thanks Merg! Any information on the popularity of the developer? Was it a "fringe" developer? Common?

Thanks!

You are welcome, happy to help. You will find that Ardol was popular for softer prints and used much like Selectol, while the Ansco/GAF developer Vividol was similar to Dektol (D-72) and used for greater contrast. Most likely Vividol was the Ansco 125 formula. I used it in the 1960's, during which period Ansco switched to the GAF name.

I should mention, or you may know, that Paul often mixed different developers together in the same tray. So, although he may cite Ardol, Dektol, Selectol or whatever as the developer, it may in fact be a combination of developers. Just thought I should mention this in case you were in search of the famous "silver bullet".