PDA

View Full Version : student LF camera: please advise...

Dean Taylor
3-Feb-2012, 10:07
hello--

I am venturing into LF--keh has a couple of basic 4 x5 cameras for around $200: an omega
4X5 OMEGA VIEW 45C LARGE FORMAT VIEW CAMERA BODY http://is.gd/liCTaQ
and a calumet
4X5 CALUMET 540 CHROME LARGE FORMAT VIEW CAMERA BODY http://is.gd/6yc7N6
uses: b & w--portrait, found objects, etc.

Which appears to be the 'better' value (assuming this can be quantified w/unknown variables)? Is there another LF camera a student might consider?

Thank you

Dean Taylor

Joseph Dickerson
3-Feb-2012, 10:18
I'm not that familiar with the Omega/Toyo C but the Cambo/Calumet is a very open ended system.

By that I mean the almost all Cambo/Calumet accessories will fit. Bag bellows, extension (or short) rails, lens boards etc. etc.

Some of the Toyo/Omega cameras had less interchangeability of accessories. You could probably check Toyo's web site to see if the C is one of those.

Neither camera you're looking at would be considered a "precision" camera but either is probably much better than most of us started with, and they're both very capable "starter" cameras.

Don't spend too much time obsessing over the choice(s), getting a camera and lens and starting to shoot is a better use of your time...have fun with it!

JD

John Kasaian
3-Feb-2012, 10:19
The one with less plastic. :)

sanchi heuser
3-Feb-2012, 11:41
Dean,
I can recommend to read the posts of Frank Petronio about
cameras - lots of helpful info...

LynnRB
3-Feb-2012, 12:12
Sinar F with DOF, tilt and swing calculator is a much more modern camera with loads of accessories available. Also Sinars student cameras alpina and A1. The Sinar System is a well researched solution to the old field camera. Sinar has a training manual "THE LARGE FORMAT Handbook of the Sinar system".

BrianShaw
3-Feb-2012, 12:32
Dean, forgive my "attitude" but you've asked this same question, verbetim, on two or three other forums and have received many answers. What additional information do you think you didn't get already?

Alan Gales
3-Feb-2012, 12:39
If you don't have much money then Cambo/Calumet is a great choice.

If you can afford it, then Sinar is a better choice.

Brian Ellis
3-Feb-2012, 14:11
Dean, forgive my "attitude" but you've asked this same question, verbetim, on two or three other forums and have received many answers. What additional information do you think you didn't get already?

He's looking for someone to tell him about that 4x5 metal monorail with a 30 inch bellows, asymetrical back, and all possible movements that costs $100, weighs 4 lbs and can be set up in a couple seconds. : - )

Matus Kalisky
3-Feb-2012, 14:22
I think you are looking in the right direction. But be sure to check out Sinar P or Sinar F - should not cost much more.

And yes - Frank Petronio gave some great advice on this topic in the past.

rdenney
3-Feb-2012, 14:22
Please list:

-What sort of pictures you intent to make (scenery, buildings, people, portraits, flowers, whatever).

-How much you have to spend

-A three-sentence synopsis of your photographic experience

It's hard to give people advice when we know nothing about them.

Millions of beginners learned on a Calumet CC-400 in its various incarnations, and KEH has one of those for $69.

The next step up from that in flexibility and system support is the Cambo you are looking at. They have others of this same make for even less. The next step up from that is a Sinar F, and that's a BIG step. The Sinar is probably the most flexible camera on the market, and it's so cheap (because there were so many sold that are now being dumped into the used market) that it's just hard not to suggest it first.

I learned on a Linhof Kardan from ancient times. It was an excellent camera, but owned by my university. Then, I went backwards to a Newton--really the only truly terrible view camera I've ever used. Beginners have it SO much better now. I thought my Calumet CC-400 was as good as the Linhof for most things, but I like really short lenses and it just doesn't go there. So, I got a Cambo like the one you are considering. But then I started liking even shorter lenses and the Cambo has limits there, too. I ended up with a Sinar F, that I upgraded gradually to a Sinar F2. Thus, I can recommend each of these first-hand--they are all completely usable and provide what any beginner might need to learn how to use a view camera.

Originally, the Calumet was a hobbyist camera of good quality. The Cambo was an entry-level pro camera. The Sinar was the "field" (and lower-price) version of a high-end pro camera. Originally, their prices were much higher than they are now, and by a greater margin on the Sinar end of this spectrum.

Rick "who paid less in real dollars for the Sinar than for the Calumet" Denney

Alan Gales
3-Feb-2012, 14:49
Frank Petronio has been mentioned twice on here with good reason. In case you don't know who Frank is, he is a pro who has real experience with a lot of equipment and really knows what he is talking about.

Also check out Frank's website for some great portraiture.

ki6mf
4-Feb-2012, 07:49
You questions have been answered in the proceeding posts. Each will do roughly the same thing mechanically. The most important thing about either of these cameras, to paraphrase Ansel Adams, is the 12 inches behind the camera.

WootSK
4-Feb-2012, 10:35
You questions have been answered in the proceeding posts. Each will do roughly the same thing mechanically. The most important thing about either of these cameras, to paraphrase Ansel Adams, is the 12 inches behind the camera.

The dark cloth?:D

Anyway, i know that being a student and saving is tough, but try not to cut corners and count every cent so closely. Save a bit more and start off with a sinar f will be a better choice.:D