PDA

View Full Version : Camera shake - Toyo vs Wista metal field cameras?

John Rodriguez
2-Feb-2012, 16:20
Thinking about picking up a second 4x5. I like the friction controls on the Wistas, but my primary concern is lack of camera shake with longer heavy lenses (250/300 copal 1 non-tele) . The double extension design of the Toyos seems like it would be sturdier. Can anyone who's owned both comment?

Joseph Dickerson
3-Feb-2012, 10:32
You mention Toyo metal field camera(s). Do you mean the 45A(AII, AX)?

If so you'll find the bellows is shorter than you think. I had a 45A which I really loved, but to use a 300 APO Ronar I had to resort to mounting the lens on a reversed recessed lens board. Not a big hassle, but a non-tele any longer than 300 is not doable. Perhaps it would work with the back extension, but that adds a level of complexity I never wanted to deal with.

JD

John Rodriguez
3-Feb-2012, 10:46
Thanks Joseph. On the Toyos I'd stay with my 250mm, or maybe go up to 270. Did you run into any camera shake issues with the 300?

EOTS
3-Feb-2012, 10:49
Hello John,

I use a Toyo Field 45AII with a Nikon 360 T in the field and have never experienced any shake problems (Gitzo 5541 tripod with RRS BH-50 ball head).
Can't comment on the Wista though, never used one...

Best regards,
Martin

Ari
3-Feb-2012, 11:55
You'll be fine with the Wista.
I have an RF and I have used a Fujinon 250 f6,7 on the RF without problem.

Peter De Smidt
3-Feb-2012, 17:56
I occasionally use a 300mm Kowa Graphic in a Copal 3 shutter on my Toyo AX for distant subjects. I haven't noticed any issues. I'm not sure how close I can focus with it, though. I can check tomorrow.

B.S.Kumar
3-Feb-2012, 18:12
I've used a 300mm Fujinon with my Wista 45D and now RF with no problems.

Kumar

John Rodriguez
3-Feb-2012, 19:58
Thanks everyone. Glad to know either will work. Now I just need to decide... :)

Joseph Dickerson
4-Feb-2012, 10:52
I had no issues of any kind with the Toyo 45A...probably shouldn't have sold it!

It does have some limits, but for the landscapes, and historic architecture that I usually do it was a good choice. I thought I needed something lighter but that's another story. At the time my widest lens was a 90. I never had an opportunity to use the 45A with anything shorter, but I doubt it would be very convenient.

I'm currently using a Sinar F1, and am a happy camper, at least as long as my back holds out.

Short answer is that the Toyo 45 series are all solid cameras even at maximum extension (45CF excepted).

JD

EOTS
4-Feb-2012, 11:07
... At the time my widest lens was a 90. I never had an opportunity to use the 45A with anything shorter, but I doubt it would be very convenient.

Hi Joseph,

I've used my 45AII with 75mm and 80mm lenses without a recessed board and without any problems.

58mm is also supported, but with a recessed board and I never tried that, but I assume that camera movements really will be inconvenient at this ultra-wide focal lengths...

John Rodriguez
4-Feb-2012, 11:08
Yeah, 180 is fine on my 45cf, but the 250 is another story.

Frank Petronio
4-Feb-2012, 11:43
I owned an Wista and have played with the Toyos, I think they are pretty similar in quality and rigidity. The bellows is kind of short on both but with the Wista you can fold it up with a small Copal 0 lens (like a 135 or 150) attached, which I found invaluable for packing. I also think the fresnel is nicer on the Wista metal VX-SP series.

Joseph Dickerson
4-Feb-2012, 15:34
Martin,

Thanks for upgrading my data file on the 45A. Glad to hear it works with 75 and shorter.

I may have to get another one some day...it sure is a nice camera.

JD