PDA

View Full Version : Buying on ebay

kevs-2323668
2-Feb-2012, 10:04
When I use paypal, I like to chose the option to switch to my credit card.

Does anyone notice that, (maybe I'm wrong), when you use paypal on ebay, this is not offered? You are forced to pull the money from your banking account? thanks.

Mark Woods
2-Feb-2012, 10:32
The option is there. The button is very small and in the upper left hand corner (I believe). I do the same thing.

alexn
2-Feb-2012, 13:17
Yeah the option is there. Its difficult to see but it is there as Mark says.

meerkat
2-Feb-2012, 13:48
I have a PayPal account but linked to a credit card only. I'm personally not interested in linking my bank account number directly with PayPal (or with anybody for that matter.) I'm often reminded by my accountant to never link bank accounts with anybody, and don't give permission for somebody to be able to access your accounts. There's really no need for it. Credit cards (and esp a charge card like AMEX with no limit and a lot of consumer protection) work just as well.

In addition, you don't even have to have a PayPal account to buy from eBay. You can use a guest account and a credit card (although I believe there is a limited to the number of transactions before you're required to open an account.)

If you're a seller it's a different issue, but you still don't have to link bank accounts to get paid. Just have PayPal issue a check and send it directly to you. But of course if you're a big time PayPal user, you could elect to open a separate bank account just for your PayPal business.

kevs-2323668
2-Feb-2012, 13:58
thanks.
Mark/Alex, are you sure, I find it no problem usually when using paypal outside of ebay, but when I click on an ebay ad to then buy, I cannot find it offered -- it just shuttles you through. maybe next time you buy, send me a screenshot.

Meerkat - how do you do this? Did rules change? Paypal has always said that the default must be from checking account, no? (if one can default to a card, how can I change without subjecting myself to their customer service?)

And I definitly do not see an option to buy from my own card.
Maybe it differs, I'm talking about --Buy it now -- for example. Just click and you navigate and its only paypal no options.

tim o'brien
2-Feb-2012, 14:19
I have a PayPal account but linked to a credit card only. I'm personally not interested in linking my bank account number directly with PayPal (or with anybody for that matter.) I'm often reminded by my accountant to never link bank accounts with anybody, and don't give permission for somebody to be able to access your accounts. There's really no need for it. Credit cards (and esp a charge card like AMEX with no limit and a lot of consumer protection) work just as well.

In addition, you don't even have to have a PayPal account to buy from eBay. You can use a guest account and a credit card (although I believe there is a limited to the number of transactions before you're required to open an account.)

If you're a seller it's a different issue, but you still don't have to link bank accounts to get paid. Just have PayPal issue a check and send it directly to you. But of course if you're a big time PayPal user, you could elect to open a separate bank account just for your PayPal business.

The issue is.... if you don't link it, there are transactions you cannot do. And then again, you are correct, I would never link it to my personal checking account. Too many horror stories, mostly left over from the early days of PayPal, but still.

I opened a checking account and linked it. The people at PayPal will do a verification. Then close the account. Mine was closed about two years ago. The PayPal still gives me the option to use that account but I am always careful to switch to the CC option. Pisses me off that there is no way to set default to Credit Cards.

These days I don't EBay much. It use to be an interesting place, now it is structured to only small merchants. The hobbiests are gone.

tim in PayPal Land (san jose)

Richard Rankin
2-Feb-2012, 15:29
I opened a checking account and linked it. The people at PayPal will do a verification. Then close the account. Mine was closed about two years ago. The PayPal still gives me the option to use that account but I am always careful to switch to the CC option. Pisses me off that there is no way to set default to Credit Cards.

I dealt with someone as a seller who had a closed account like this on his Paypal. When he accidentally let something go through against that defunct account, it triggered an unauthorized transaction on ALL of his paypal transactions, reversing them all against the respective sellers he had dealt with in the recent past. Even money sent as a 'gift' will be reversed against the recipient if this happens. I suspect it was a nightmare for him. Luckily for me, he was good for it and fixed it up, I'm sure, with everyone, but it was a nightmare scenario. I would not recommend this approach at all unless you have never ever made the slightest mistake, because, as mentioned, Paypal ALWAYS tries to keep you from using your credit card.

If you have a friendly local bank, you can ask them to set up a free checking account that you keep $5 in. Paypal can verify, etc and then any overcharges your bank bounces if you make a mistake and let a charge through will hit your credit card on file.

Richard

meerkat
2-Feb-2012, 18:33
The issue is.... if you don't link it, there are transactions you cannot do. And then again, you are correct, I would never link it to my personal checking account. Too many horror stories, mostly left over from the early days of PayPal, but still.

These days I don't EBay much. It use to be an interesting place, now it is structured to only small merchants. The hobbiests are gone.

tim in PayPal Land (san jose)

I opened my original PayPal account many, many years ago. I don't recall having to link it to a bank account. I did link it to an active cc account. If it was ever linked to a bank account, that account has been long since closed. Maybe the rules have changed over time, and so I'm probably not the right person to be making comments. But nonetheless I wouldn't recommend giving anybody your bank account info. I don't even like giving it to utility companies for direct payment. I'll pay them their due amount, but I'm not going to give anybody open access to my bank accounts (sure you have some safety nets and recourse, but they always take the money first and ask questions later.)

Although as I mentioned you could open a small account just for eBay/PayPal. I have a separate smaller account for my daily use that's linked to an ATM/debit card. But my bigger accounts are linked to nothing (no debit cards, no checks, etc..)

Anyway, any time I've used PayPal (and also with the "buy it now" option), they just bill my cc. There's nothing else linked. I suppose there might be a limit on some big ticket items, but I've bought a few pricey items with no issues.

As it is, I have since closed my account. They sent me an email a while back saying that they'd have to put a 30-60 hold to send me money if I sold big ticket items. I called them and said forget it and closed my account. Funny thing is, they emailed a few weeks later and said they changed their mind and wouldn't put a hold on any funds and that I'm welcome to re-open my account.

I never did re-open it. This way I'm not buying anything compulsively and it helps keep me off eBay which is a good thing. Saves me money. :)

And when I do need to buy something that's hard to find, I just use the PayPal guest account and use my cc. What I've also found is that vendors and sellers on eBay are often open to exchanging funds directly via credit card. The PayPal fees add a lot to the costs of doing business (and are passed on to buyers via the price of the goods.) Sure, you don't get that PayPal 'protection' (PayPal is like the Mafia) but you have recourse with your cc company (and again, AMEX is great.) Communicate with the seller, too. You can feel them out and easily know if they're decent or shady.

kevs-2323668
2-Feb-2012, 18:36
Tim,
I did not understand you first paragraph or two, but I did understand:
"Pisses me off that there is no way to set default to Credit Cards."

So you concur, the default is to the bank account? even today?

Still looking for an answer to the original question. ie, can one even do a switch to credit cards when buying from ebay -- I'd love to see proof one can. thanks.

Richard Rankin
2-Feb-2012, 19:27
Tim,
I did not understand you first paragraph or two, but I did understand:
"Pisses me off that there is no way to set default to Credit Cards."

So you concur, the default is to the bank account? even today?

Still looking for an answer to the original question. ie, can one even do a switch to credit cards when buying from ebay -- I'd love to see proof one can. thanks.

I do not have any problem switching to my credit card using Paypal when buying on Ebay or anywhere else, if that is the actual question. I never pay from my bank account and always switch to the cc.

Richard

Dan Fromm
2-Feb-2012, 19:33
kevs, like many other posters here I've had no problem switching from my PayPal default funding source (an account at my Credit Union) to a credit card when using PayPal to pay for purchases made via eBay. Its easy to miss the option, but its there. Calm down, always read the entire screen.

By the way, my reasons for using a credit card have nothing to do with fears of problems with PayPal. First off, the cc gives me a second level of protection that has occasionally been useful; the cc's window for contesting charges is longer than PayPal's. Secondly, my Credit Union limits the number of transfers to/from my account. When I exceed the limit they charge me $25.

Rick A
3-Feb-2012, 03:34
I use a bank account set up specifically for paypal. I always transfer funds out of paypal to it, then remove the cash and bank it elsewhere. I even use a seperate bank from my regular accounts.

eddie
3-Feb-2012, 04:20
Kevs. Where are you located? If you are not in the USA the buttons may be different.

That. being said I have a separate banks account for paypal.

Why don't you call PayPal?

Richard, be aware if PayPal charges against your bank and you have no money there you may get a bounced "check" charge. And if they do it again before going to your CC it could be costly.

goamules
3-Feb-2012, 06:57
My 17 year old daughter has had an ebay/paypal account for several years. The other day she sold something for the first time in many months. Of course, the payment is locked for 21 days, how dare she figure she was still a trustworthy person in their eyes? Then, when she clicked the buttons to ship the item through ebay/papal, it stopped her and said "you must link a credit card to pay for things through paypal." So even though she has a positive balance, above the amount of the item she sold, and even though she's had her first bank account linked to PP for years, we couldn't pay for shipping and had to go down to the post office and stand in line. Now a 17 year old has to go get a credit card? Keeping a segregated bank account is meaningless when they demand you also have a credit card. If a buyer pulls a fast one, ebay WILL give YOUR money back to them.

Ebay/PP does EVERYTHING to ensure they get paid in ALL circumstances. And they make sure buyers flock to them from all over the world. If that means unreasonably giving every buyer a gold seal of approval, and every seller a black mark of suspicion, that's what they do. I can't imagine someone who sells an $11,000 lens, or an expensive car or jewelry dealing with this risk. All a buyer has to do is say, "I didn't get it....or...I don't like it..." and the system sucks your payment right back out of your accounts, tracing it all the way to a credit card to put you into debt. And then it's up to YOU to try to prove things, and to get your expensive item back from the possibly fraudulent "buyer." It's a very risky situation for sellers.

Cor
3-Feb-2012, 06:58
I use a bank account set up specifically for paypal. I always transfer funds out of paypal to it, then remove the cash and bank it elsewhere. I even use a seperate bank from my regular accounts.

Sorry to high-jack this thread a bit but the
..I always transfer funds out of paypal to it.. made me think again about the 11 USD (yes I know not a big deal) I received about one year ago on my PayPal account, which I cannot find back. That is: I can see the transaction, but when I want to use that amount to pay, or transfer to my linked bank account, it is not there anymore..

It's a small sum, but it's the principle that counts..were did the money go, did PayPal "steal" it or I used it in my ignorance, but cannot trace it back..?

Id id send an inquiry to PayPal to which they never responded. Leason learned, the moment I recieve money I transfer it...still wondering about those 11 dollars though..

Best,

Cor

eddie
3-Feb-2012, 07:21
we couldn't pay for shipping and had to go down to the post office and stand in line.

use usps.com. no need to wait in line.

Now a 17 year old has to go get a credit card? Keeping a segregated bank account is meaningless when they demand you also have a credit card.

the simple solution is to go to the bank and get a debit card. this will satisfy paypal. that is what my wife did on her account. she has no credit card either.

jp
3-Feb-2012, 07:21
Paypal has to pay a transaction % fee to draw money of your credit card when you buy something and use CC to pay for it. Thus, their interest in having a bank account linked to it, which is cheaper per transaction for them. Enough people prefer to only use their credit card only for necessity that their preference to use a bank account will save paypal lots of $.

I recently setup a paypal account for a new business. The payment I was trying to use paypal for would not accept just having a bank account linked to the paypal account. It needed plastic linked to the account. The new business didn't have a credit card, so I tried to put mine in. It didn't accept that because it's already in use on their system (as a backup source on my personal account). They are really fussy.

My old work account has dead credit cards tied to the paypal account. I imagine you could like a credit card to the account, then cancel the credit card. Debit cards have less protection than credit cards for business use, so it's less advisable to use a debit card in place of a credit card for business online.

Not only does paypal want to have a backup source of funding much of the time, I think they want multiple ways to connect the account to you. I suspect this is to prevent fraudulent paypal activity caused by stolen credit cards or identity theft. It'd be a great system for laundering money if identity was easily faked.

Ramiro Elena
3-Feb-2012, 07:25
I was recently told by PayPal the commision is higher when paying with Credit Card. I checked my transactions and found it to be true. This, however was with an item I bought here, not eBay.
It could be the default is your account so you don't automatically choose a more expensive method.

Steve Smith
3-Feb-2012, 07:25
It's a small sum, but it's the principle that counts.........?

A few years ago, my father was the treasurer of our local cycling club. He found an error of £0.02 in the accounts. He finally traced it to the bank which was supposed to have added £0.01 interest to their bank account (not a lot in it!) but instead had deducted it. He insisted that the bank rectified their mistake saying that it wasn't the amount but the principle. And I agreed.

Steve.

neil poulsen
3-Feb-2012, 07:27
I didn't realize this. Thanks for the info.

I have a special checking account that I link to PayPal. Anytime I make a bid, I make sure that I have the money in that account. I sure wouldn't link PayPal to our personal account. No siree.

Jody_S
3-Feb-2012, 08:37
Paypal has been a nightmare for years. I've been defrauded so many times it's just not funny, Paypal has been of no help or has actively encouraged the fraud, they don't follow their own procedures or even read their mail. If there was any other way to sell odd things and reach a large target group of consumers, I would be all over it. As it is, I've stopped selling altogether 3 or 4 times in protest, and only resumed when I was strapped for cash and wanted to run a virtual yard sale. I would rather have a root canal without anesthetic than have to sell another camera on eBay right now (but I'm about to do it anyways).

As far as eBay/Paypal are concerned, sellers are a disposable commodity. If you go bust or get defrauded out of existence, they figure there are 20 others lining up to take your place. And since they're so unethical with their practices, how do you complain about unethical sellers who are just trying to survive when the odds are stacked against them?

I tried having the 'Paypal Only' credit card last year. One credit card, the only place I ever used it was to link to a Paypal account. No transactions. Guess what happened? Go on, guess..... defrauded for more than $5K. No I don't use mobile phones or unsecured wifi or fall for phishing scams or anything like that. The only place that had the CC info was Paypal itself. I have so far refused to give them another, because that would be rather pointless. They're not happy about that. If they read their mail, they would know why.

kevs-2323668
3-Feb-2012, 09:53
I'm in US, ok, I look real hard next time, and take a screenshot if I can't find the option.

Good point, they have to pay the 2-3% to a credit card merchant, hence, they will always probably make it a nuisance to make the change-- instead of being able to default to a card. If they charge a higher fee, though I guess that goes to the seller, not the buyer....

Corran
5-Feb-2012, 09:36
I'm always at a loss as to my Paypal misfortunes. I have only been screwed twice with Paypal, both times as a BUYER!

First was when someone simply sent a postcard with delivery confirmation instead of an item. Paypal would do nothing - USPS said the item was delivered, so screw you!

Second, a camera I bought had a totally jacked up meter, cosmetically and functionally, AND the aperture coupling lever was bent and not working. I fixed the bent lever, requested a partial refund for the ruined meter, and because I mentioned I had to fix something myself in one correspondence they said NOPE you tampered with the item so it's your problem.

Never had a problem as a seller :confused:

Kuzano
5-Feb-2012, 09:53
8 years on eBay. Never a problem to switch to any credit card I have had linked to Paypal over those years.

I didn't read all the post, but I assume you do have one or more credit cards linked to your eBay account. You do that on eBay. It's done in your account profile under My Account tab. Then under Add A Credit Card. Sorry if this seems to affront, but sometimes we overlook the obvious.

Otherwise whenever you see the page where it shows the amount to be paid (just before you finalize payment) there is a very small line that says "change manner of payment" or something like that. That link is not there if you did not, IN Ebay, link a card, or cards.

I never keep money in Paypal... NEVER!!! I never pay using my bank. I always switch to a credit card.

Furthermore, you can have a credit card be the default form of Payment. That too is done in both eBay and Paypal.

Now the only way I can prove that to you, since you so badly want proof, is to have you send me your eBay user ID and password, and your email entry to Paypal and Password, and the information from a couple of your credit cards, including name, address, Expiry date, and that 3 digit code on the back. I'll prove it for you.

PLEASE DON'T

Also, let me add. Paypal is one of easiest web site facilities to get someone on the phone that I have ever used. Much better than my banks. With eBay it's relatively easy to get a live chat session going with a support person. I use that frequently and always get results.

Kuzano
5-Feb-2012, 09:58

I teach an eBay class once a quarter at a local community college. One of my strong suggestions is:

"Before you sign up for eBay or Paypal, go to a bank you do not use, open an account, and get a debit card for the account. That card and account will fulfill the requirements to identify you, which is the primary reason Paypal wants that information. Then subsequently DO NOT keep funds over the minimum level in the account, AND DO NOT keep funds in paypal. Furthermore, make deposits to the Paypal linked account in cash or other checks paid to you. NEVER leave a transfer trail to your other credit/debit cards or your regular bank accounts. It's a bit cumbersome, but secure. Illegal - not at all. This is not defrauding either eBay, or Paypal. It's just creating a separate set of funding for your safety."

AGAIN... it should be emphasized that no transfers from this Paypal linked bank account should ever be made to another bank other than manually. No transfers bank to bank. Break the train of transfers out of the banking system.

Very good post ralnphot.

John Conway
5-Feb-2012, 10:03
I have had no problems with my ebay/paypal purchases. I always prefer to purchase from a reputable dealer, mostly KEH, but so many great item's come up on ebay. I'm not saying it is perfect, far from it. I have a little system I use. When I'm interested in an item, I ask a lot of questions and get a good feel for the seller. If the communication is not good, or the replies are not friendly, I pass on the item. As far as the paypal, I have an account just for paypal with a minimum balance in the account until I make a purchase. I have had one problem though, on a few occasions, lousy packaging, resulting in a broken ground glass twice.

Alan Gales
5-Feb-2012, 10:20
I teach an eBay class once a quarter at a local community college. One of my strong suggestions is:

"Before you sign up for eBay or Paypal, go to a bank you do not use, open an account, and get a debit card for the account. That card and account will fulfill the requirements to identify you, which is the primary reason Paypal wants that information. Then subsequently DO NOT keep funds over the minimum level in the account, AND DO NOT keep funds in paypal. Furthermore, make deposits to the Paypal linked account in cash or other checks paid to you. NEVER leave a transfer trail to your other credit/debit cards or your regular bank accounts. It's a bit cumbersome, but secure. Illegal - not at all. This is not defrauding either eBay, or Paypal. It's just creating a separate set of funding for your safety."

AGAIN... it should be emphasized that no transfers from this Paypal linked bank account should ever be made to another bank other than manually. No transfers bank to bank. Break the train of transfers out of the banking system.

Very good post ralnphot.

This is great advice. I'm a small time Ebay Seller and this is exactly what I did.

kevs-2323668
5-Feb-2012, 10:27
Kuzano, thanks, Ok I'll look for that option next purchase on Ebay. I do it all the time for non-ebay purchases, but I just don't see it then I purchase on ebay, I'll triple check next time.. don't know when that will be though!

Are you joking about having the default to purchase with a card? Did not someone just confirm the default still must be from a bank account and you deal with the nuisance of switching?

I use my miles card -- it's the card I buy everything with, I want the miles. Was that last bit of advice for sellers or buyers too?

Steve Muntz
5-Feb-2012, 11:33
I use my miles card -- it's the card I buy everything with, I want the miles.

I've bought and sold on ebay on and off for years, and been using Paypal since they first offered it. Credit card is a good idea and I like the miles too, but I keep a second one that never gets used for purchases on the web. Twice now that's been a big help...

Ivan J. Eberle
6-Feb-2012, 10:33
PayPal seems to be changing their policy in order to hold people's money for 21 days, even 100% positive sellers like me. For the 2nd time in 3 mos, they've informed me of such a hold on future transactions. For the 4th time in 3 mos I've told them there will not be any future transactions so long as the hold is in place.
Linked acct (required to be Verified) and Debit Card. No cases ever opened against me. At or near 5 on all the dashboard metrics. PayPal folks admitted it was bullshit last time, but it took 3 phone calls and 5 weeks previously before they dropped it. Let's hear about PP alternatives.

meerkat
6-Feb-2012, 12:04
PayPal seems to be changing their policy in order to hold people's money for 21 days, even 100% positive sellers like me. For the 2nd time in 3 mos, they've informed me of such a hold on future transactions. For the 4th time in 3 mos I've told them there will not be any future transactions so long as the hold is in place.
Linked acct (required to be Verified) and Debit Card. No cases ever opened against me. At or near 5 on all the dashboard metrics. PayPal folks admitted it was bullshit last time, but it took 3 phone calls and 5 weeks previously before they dropped it. Let's hear about PP alternatives.

They did the same to me. I called them and cancelled my account. Not long thereafter, they emailed and apologized and said there will be no holds and that I'm welcome to open a new account.

I never bothered and instead I'll just use their 'guest account' if I really want to buy something off of eBay. On the other hand by not using Paypal or eBay I'm not spending money and there's no temptation to buy more crap. I really don't need any more stuff so this is a good thing, imho. :)